It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus giving his life is no big sacrifice

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
God in the form of a human, (Jesus) gave his life and was cruzified.

Now.. when you KNOW that if you sacrifice your life; you'll immediatly get a NEW life (an eternal life), and omnipotent power, THAT'S not realy a big sacrifice is it?

I'd do it if i knew what he knew.

www.youtube.com...

He sacrificed himself to himself to save us from himself. God wouldn't forgive us, so he killed someone who didnt deserve it (jesus), and THEN he could forgive us. He in the form of what, god?, jesus? I lost it.

Understand it those who can.

Does anyone have more of these weird nonsensical examples of christian belief?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Daniem

Why not read the bible for yourself and form your own opinion instead of watching someone elses, asking for someone to back you up or selecting things that do not make sense to you and giving them an alternative meaning.

Read the whole book from start to finish then you should be able to answer that question.

Think for yourself.

No offence intended.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Im a member of the christian church and have had classes on religion and christianity since i started school as a kid. I was in the gospel for a while also.

So i have heard enough to form my own opinion. Can you explain it to me if i got it wrong?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Daniem

Now.. when you KNOW that if you sacrifice your life; you'll immediatly get a NEW life (an eternal life), and omnipotent power, THAT'S not realy a big sacrifice is it?

I'd do it if i knew what he knew.

• Could you be beaten without mercy and not cry *Stop*?

• Could you be humiliated publicly, infront of your friends and family without trying to hide your face, lower your eyes from your accused

• Could you have your beard ripped from your face without calling the wrath of your Father down on your attacker?

• Could you have your hand pierced by a nail, driven through tissue muscle and bone without raising the other hand to strike the hammer away? Raising your foot to kick out at the one about to repeat this atrocity?

• Could you ask for water only to be given vinegar wine and not spit it out in the faces of those who pushed it into your mouth on a foul sponge?

• Could you look to the basest of men hanging there beside you and offer comfort, love and assure them they would have a place in your memory, your heart and invite them to be with you in eternal home?

• Could you have a spear savagely shoved into your side, spilling your lifeblood, only to look to heaven and ask your Father to forgive them because they don’t know what they were doing?

Until you can answer yes to all of these, until you can DO all of these, don’t even pretend to think what Christ did was anything but a sacrifice!

How dare you!

peace

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
If Jesus was real, and if he really did "give" up his life for humanity, then that is really just a subtle form of suicide, and according to Christian faith, he is now rotting in hell (if it was real) for his mortal sin.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchNLearn

If Jesus had truly died and was suffering in hell right now and for the rest of eternity, that would be a real sacrifice for us.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I think you took the wrong religious courses than mate, God didn't come to earth the form of Jesus. And Jesus didn't sacrifice his life for his own eternal life, he sacrificed his life so that we all can be resurrected after death. The Jesus from the Bible lived a selfless life, why would he die a selfish death like the one you assume he chose? Not too thought out.

What faith/church/organization/what have you do you belong to, if any? And what scriptures do you have to reference any of this of this shape shifting God to Jesus back to God stuff cause even though I'm only 19, I've read the Bible, all of it, and...I'm pretty sure I'd remember something like that. It'd probably make me fall away from my personal faith, and that's pretty hard if you knew me in person.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by screamo

Im surprized to hear you say that. Are you a christian? I will find the quotes from the bible where it says that jesus is god in human form.

Im a member of the Protestant (Evangelical-Lutheran) church

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   

How dare you!

I have dared to ask the same question as the OP.

It isn't wrong to question. As far as I know from my reading of the Bible it isn't a sin.

The person who gives their lives for someone they love with out the certain knowledge of eternal life in "heaven", that is the person in my opinion who really deserves our respect.

I'm not a Christian though, so my views are skewed towards the rational.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
John 10:30-33 Jesus says: I and the Father are one.

The Jews answered Him, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God." (John 10:30-33)

Jesus proved that he is God by doing many things that only God could do. These are called miracles.

There are lots of things you can read about Jesus beeing God.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
God=Jesus=Holy Spirit--->Throw in a few archangles....Bam! Polytheism!

Weird nonsensical examples of christian belief?

Talking snakes, virgins giving birth...seriously, just google "christianity."

Its also interesting to note that in some versions of the bible both Jesus and Lucifer are reffered to as the "Morning Star."

Given the vast number of scientific discrepencies found in this 2nd century Roman law book converted from archaic paganism known as the "holy bible" (i.e. a flat earth as the center of the universe
.) it is a true wonder as to why it remains so popular.

Ever seen Chris Angel walk across a lake?

[edit on 5-3-2009 by eprime]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I was under the impression Jesus believed he was the Son of God - he had faith in his destiny and life's purpose. Through his belief he did many great things. One of the great things he did was help lift a burden from mankind's future by enduring the powerful karmic implications of taking upon pain, suffering, and death with the purpose that we in the future would be relieved in some way of the pain and uncertainty this world bestows upon us from birth until death. I also believe the result of his actions carries over to whatever afterlife awaits us, but to know those implications, I'd have to have all the answers.

Jesus didn't go through life living like a superhero -- acting normal during the day, while knowing full well that he secretly had extraordinary powers. He believed in this power, and that belief in turn made it real. What was extraordinary about Jesus was that he was a man that found his true essence while living as a man, and dying as a man. Therefore he is remembered as being much more that just a man, and as someone connected with or as part of a higher power.

He died for us all to gain the knowledge that he himself gained during his life - that we are all God, and we can do extraordinary things.

As in Luke 17:21 "...behold, the kingdom of God is within you."

[edit on 5/3/09 by Evasius]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Daniem

Talking points from Bill Meher Religulous?? Looks like it.

If you think all the suffering that Christ went through was 'no big sacrifice' then I suggest you give it a try sometime. Even if you went through the exact same thing physically, you wouldn't have experienced what He did spiritually. Christ knows what is in each mans heart and soul. He knew that He was to die and that many would not be saved even though he did everything right down to giving his last drop of blood for them. That was spiritual torture.

Physical and spiritual torture beyond anything you can imagine .. and you say it was 'no big sacrifice' because He knew what was coming? Sorry, I disagree. If you've ever been in serious pain you know that every second seems like an eternity.

Christ's sacrifice was definately a very big deal.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merigold

How dare you!

I have dared to ask the same question as the OP.

It isn't wrong to question. As far as I know from my reading of the Bible it isn't a sin.

The Bible tells us to question, or test, everything......1 Thessalonians 5:21 NIV ........i find it amazing how "christians" and the church in general is so opposed to questions or questioning......

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I dont know what Maher said.

Of course he knows.. god knows everything. He probably didnt even feel much, after many beatings you become numb. And anyway, he WAS god.. maybe he didnt realy feel pain at all, or had godly power to not care about the hurt.

I think noone should rule over another.. We should all be free, and not be obliged to do something, like worshipping. Noone should be punished for beeing born.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
reply to post by Daniem

Talking points from Bill Meher Religulous?? Looks like it.

Christ's sacrifice was definately a very big deal.

Well now that you bring up religulous, there were a few good talking points...

For one, he mentions the fact that Jesus is a replica of dozens of mythical SUNs of God (enter: Paganism). Tell me, were their sacrifices just as big of a deal?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by eprime

Prometheus was bound to a rock while a great eagle ate his liver every day only to have it grow back to be eaten again the next day. He sacrificed himself so that mankind could have fire. He brought it, and then got punished.

There are many other takes on stories like this. Somehow christians dont think those stories matter.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Theologists would have a rage if they were to ever see the previous and i can imagine the post that are to follow the present one.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
The creation of man from clay

* In the Babylonian creation epic Enuma Elish, the goddess Ninhursag created humans from clay.

* In Africa, the Yoruba culture holds that the god Obatala likewise created the human race.

* In Egyptian mythology, the ram-.ed god Khnum made people from clay in the waters of the Nile.

* In Chinese myth, the goddess Nuwa created the first humans from mud and clay.

* According to Genesis 2:7 "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

* According to Qur'an[23:12–15], Allah created man from clay. See the Quranic science of Embryology for full details.

* Mayan myth holds that Tepeu and Kukulkán (Quetzalcoatl) made the first humans from clay, but they were unsatisfactory.

* The Navajo attributed the creation of humans to Spider Grandmother.

Once you read about all the similarities christianity has to other stories.. well.. its obvious.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join