It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chavez orders nationalization of Cargill, a US Company

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by secretagent woooman
reply to post by Ownification

You had a murdering, Russian-backed Communist named Fidel Castro who killed his own countrymen to seize power, upsetting American (read: Mafia) interests so the US goes and embargoes them practically to death, ruining the country's economy and infrastructure for decades.

I live in a state with a very large Cuban expatriate population and have never once heard a Cuban with any positive comments for either the Castro regime or US policies toward the country. One thing is for sure, boatloads of people would not risk dying in the Atlantic to escape to Florida if that country had anything going for it, Cuba openly operates political prison camps like all Communist and neo-Communist states. Bitch all you want about FEMA camps, they've already lived through it there and that's one reason why so many Cubans take American citizenship and its responsibilities so seriously.

Do you really want me to debate an issue which is un-debateable.

For 15 consecutive years, the general assembly of the United Nations has voted in favor of lifting the economic sanctions that seriously harm the Cuban people, especially the most vulnerable sectors. The international community is unanimous on this issue, with the majority continually increasing. In 2006, 183 countries condemned the cruel and illegal state of siege that Washington imposes on Cuba. In vain. As if deaf, the U.S. government persists in applying an inhumane, anachronistic and ineffectual policy that has been in place since July 1960.

Ohh yes blame it on Castro

but it does not even have the authorization to establish commercial dealings with U.S. companies located in other countries, which is in flagrant violation of international law. Cuba cannot obtain credits of any kind from international financial institutions and are prohibited from using the U.S. dollar in its transactions with the rest of the world.

Read the following and wrap your head around it, and please do sleep on it.

"Most Cubans support Castro. There's no effective political opposition (...) the only foreseeable means to alienate internal support is by creating disillusionment and discouragement based on lack of satisfaction and economical difficulties (...) We should immediately use any possible measure to (...) cause hunger, desperation and the overthrow of the Government."

Source: Lester D. Mallory «Memorandum From the Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Inter-American Affairs (Mallory) to the Assistant Secretary of State for Inter-American Affairs (Rubottom)», Department of State, Central Files, 737.00/4-660, Secret, Drafted by Mallory, in Foreign Relations of the United States (FRUS), 1958-1960, Volume VI, Cuba: (Washington: United States Government Printing Office, 1991), p. 885.

I only posted the source for the last one, the rest can be found in Wikipedia. Just read some books please and turn off the news.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Ever since Chavez rose to power, there has been a huge wave of immigration of Venezuelans to the US. Legals and illegals mostly to S. Florida.
But what I don't understand is that people in Venezuela keep voting for him. I bet that he'll be there for a long time.

As for Cuba, once it is "free"....unfortunately it will become the perfect stop-over for drug trafficking and the violence in the island will soar.
Never been to Cuba but all of the people that I know who have been there absolutely love it.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

In answer to your other question, since you seem to be so critical of the free market, know that the free market is how people act in their best interests and over a medium and long term that is only sustainable by acting in the best interest of the consumer/client. Meaning you can screw people over for a little but once they catch on your business will be kaput.

The current problems with the economy by the way can be blamed directly on government interference and programs. It was Fannie mae and Freddie Mac who were buying up all the mortgages from the banks dishing them out. It was the Clinton and bush administrations who tried to increase home ownership and thus implemented programs to artificially do that.

If things were left laize fair the so called greedy executive would have acted in their best interests and the companies best interests and would never have gotten involved in these sub prime mortgages backed by the govt

Read my reply to secretagent woooman

I don't think it is the government's fault. Let's not forget that the banks gave out money to people who couldn't pay them back, that is where the problem started.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Ownification

Let's not make this about Cuba guys, please. I almost went out of my way to discuss it but no.

So after taking over the Polar owned rice mills they are taking over Cargills too claiming they are producing a particular type of rice. Cargill responds saying they've produced the same type of rice in accordance to the law for the last 7 years at that factory. Odds are Chavez takes it anyway...

Are they preparing to cut our oil?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I think Chavez dosent know who he's "F"ing with. Cargill is a very powerful well conected company. They will pull every string they got to keep their assets.

Not to mention this threatens the Oil companies wich could be next.

I expect that Chavez will have his "hands full" with a significant event very shortly.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Well first he is going to pay for the company as he did with CEMEX and CANTV. Second those corporation are not saint, they are very very very evil. Venezuela is a very rich country it has a nice surplus and a nice reserve of USD. The comparison with Cuba is impossible to make. Venezuelan are everything except for communist.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny
Nationalized companies have the choice of discretionary pricing, that is, the same commodity can be sold to different class of people, at different prices.

I think that companies in a capitalist 'free-market' have that, even more.

For example, it's a good idea to go grocery shopping for basics at a store in a neighborhood that isn't as 'wealthy'. There are less deceptively high-priced items built into 'bundle' purchases, e.g. cheap produce but expensive salad dressing, simply because people can't afford them and pay more attention by necessity. You will save money.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny
Chavez orders nationalization of Cargill, a US Company

That's kind of what happened in Atlas Shrugged. The American railroads running through Mexico were nationalized by the Mexicans for Mexico. MAN! It's all pointed to Atlas Shrugged. That book is prophecy. It really is.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Bravo, Mr Chavez, Bravo... this is a great move to prevent the exploitation of your country.
Perhaps only then will the majority of Americans understand why Latin-American countries have such unstable governments - US exploitation and intervention... perhaps their mind will no longer be capable of justifying their xenophobia.

Next step, avoid assassination from the powers that be. We remember what happened when Jacobo Arbenz from Guatemala tried this in the 50's... ahem, CIA.

[edit on 5-3-2009 by Blagojevich]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Here's some Adam Smith:division of labor, specialization and strong institutions protecting discrete absolute property rights are the foundations of an innovating free market, and thus a succesfull state. Not only that but this Firm is foreign property!..I agree with jam321 they should burn the plants to the ground and leave Venezuela and that commie son of a whore before he plunders the whole country..
And you know what's funny about nationalisation and bailouts?.. they warned Japan not to do those things in the 90's and look what happened with that poor country in the 90's and still!..[jim roger's]

[edit on 5-3-2009 by Foppezao]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

Profits?!?! hahaha dont worry there will not be any profits once the company is nationalized. With out fail all the companies that get nationalized in Venezuela decrease in productivity significantly.

Chavez is his own worst enemy and the Venezuelans worst enemy, inflation there is sky high, with oil at its current pricing they are running up significant debts. Venezuela will see a revolt before either the US or Mexico.

[edit on 4-3-2009 by Desolate Cancer]

Where are you getting your data?

What makes you think they will revolt?

links? documents? sources?

anything that says that this isn't just your opinion?

IL

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by una caro
Chaves has nationalized a brasilian company already.

Venezuela is very close to dictatorship. And since US won't back it up, the economy will sink very fast.

Maybe having a dictator who spreads the wealth about a bit so people can actually survive on what they earn, as apposed to certain US and other firms using modern slave labor to produce their goods, make massive profits and pay their CEO´s millions in bonus´s.

The big companies have become locusts moving from country to country raping the workforce then moving on, just to enrich their own bosses so they can buy a new yacht.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

And Im sure many of those expatriate Cubans do not remember the days of the US backed Fascist Batista. Where most, if not all of Cuba's wealth was exported to foreign (read: US) based interests.

The Cubans may not have much now, but they have more than when Batista and his US cronies ran the country.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
We all seem to be forgetting what Cargill is; A Multinational Food Conglomerate in the same fashion of Monstanto. Who cares if they loose they're assets? These companies play god here and abroad with our food supply and the land it is grown on.

Burning large swaths of rain Forrest in Brazil in order to make room for the growth of soya products, for illegal export into Europe for fast food giants. Cargill does not care for you or your family, why should you care if they're interests are nationalized?

Cargill: A threat ot food and farming

“Cargill is making enormous profit from the international trade system that is causing all this food instability around the world,” stated Food & Water Watch Executive Director Wenonah Hauter. “This corporate behemoth is behind almost every aspect of the worldwide agricultural system with no accountability for consumer health, the environment or human rights.”

And it is not just controversies over global trade or environmental impacts that surround the company. Cargill is also linked to questionable food technologies such as irradiation, genetically modified foods, and the use of carbon monoxide to artificially enhance the color of meat long past its expiration date.

Talk back, agitate, regulate. These companies need to be reigned in.

[edit on 5-3-2009 by InSpiteOf]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Wasn't the Rockefeller family heavily involved with businesses in Venezuela?

Oh man! I'd love to be at some beautiful Venezuelan beach and have an Ice-cold Polar right now!

I lived there in the 80's and during the social revolt & riots of the El Caracazo 1989, which were some really crazy weeks!

I also remember the danger & violence surrounding the city at night.

And it was also very painful to see all the misery for the people in the barrios, surrounding the hills of the Caracas valley!

I really hope that they are a little better off now than they were before?!

Gloria al Bravo Pueblo!

[edit on 5-3-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
There is a lot going on here.
One thing to remember is this. Cargill is not a victim. Cargill is as bad or worse than Chavez. It couldn't have happened to a better pair.
Cargill and Chavez, two peas in a twisted pod.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Foppezao

"they warned Japan not to do those things in the 90's and look what happened with that poor country in the 90's and still!.."

I just read the other day that Japan actually has the second largest reserve of USD on the planet. Just behind China.
Just noting that Japan isn't poor.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I never lived in Venezuala, but my brother did for almost five years. He saw pre and post Chavez. He's popular with the poor because he gives them things. And at first, there didn't seem to be any price to pay. He was like Robin Hood. But the country is coming apart at the seams. Nobody wants to start or buy businesses there, and he's blowing all the oil money on buying the loyalty of the poor.

When the oil starts running out, the poor country will have nothing. This is not the first business he has nationalized, but when he does nationalize a business he generally replaces management and they mostly end up slowly driving those businesses into the ground.

I honestly believe that he will not be fondly remembered in the future by his country's people. Rather, he will be seen as a unilateral, ego-tripping dictator who destroyed Venezuala.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join