It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chavez orders nationalization of Cargill, a US Company

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Chavez orders nationalization of Cargill, a US Company

www.cnn.com

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said Wednesday he had ordered the nationalization of at least some of the operations of the U.S.-based food giant Cargill and threatened to do the same with the Caracas-based food maker Polar.

"Begin the expropriation process with Cargill," he said in a nationally televised speech in which he accused the company of growing specialized forms of rice in an attempt to evade price controls.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I think this is just another attempt by Chavez to hit back at the US. He wants the profits to remain in Venezuela, but beyond this, there is another motive. I think that is that he does not want US companies to control or have monopoly over critical sectors of the economy

Probably that will give him mass support and boost his ratings, but this is definitely not good for the economy and for free enterprize

www.cnn.com

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny

I think this is just another attempt by Chavez to hit back at the US. He wants the profits to remain in Venezuela, but beyond this, there is another motive. I think that is that he does not want US companies to control or have monopoly over critical sectors of the economy

Probably that will give him mass support and boost his ratings, but this is definitely not good for the economy and for free enterprize

www.cnn.com

Any explanation into why it is not good for the economy?

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

Profits?!?! hahaha dont worry there will not be any profits once the company is nationalized. With out fail all the companies that get nationalized in Venezuela decrease in productivity significantly.

Chavez is his own worst enemy and the Venezuelans worst enemy, inflation there is sky high, with oil at its current pricing they are running up significant debts. Venezuela will see a revolt before either the US or Mexico.

[edit on 4-3-2009 by Desolate Cancer]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Ownification

Nationallization results in unequal distribution of wealth in the economy. Also the basic spirit of free enterprise -> Demand and Supply decide price - is violated. Nationalized companies have the choice of discretionary pricing, that is, the same commodity can be sold to different class of people, at different prices.

Ideally the govt should only intervene if the company is in trouble, otherwise the market forces should be allowed to operate on the company.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Cargill should just blow up all its plants and leave the country.

Then they should just sit back and drink some beers while Chavez runs around looking for a way to replace the rice they are no longer putting out on the market.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Chaves has nationalized a brasilian company already.

Venezuela is very close to dictatorship. And since US won't back it up, the economy will sink very fast.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Unfortunately this one of the many risks companies face, especially when operating in foreign countries where stability is in question.

Nationalization is well within the acceptable abilities of a government.

I'm not advocating that it's a good move... I'm just saying it was a risk the company took when they decided to operate over there.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Nationallization results in unequal distribution of wealth in the economy. Also the basic spirit of free enterprise -> Demand and Supply decide price - is violated. Nationalized companies have the choice of discretionary pricing, that is, the same commodity can be sold to different class of people, at different prices.

Ideally the govt should only intervene if the company is in trouble, otherwise the market forces should be allowed to operate on the company.

So it is bad because the government is making the decision instead of random individuals? Don't you think the government has a better intention for the economy instead of random individuals.

It is these random decision makers who have brought the American economy to its current situation, now the government is stepping in. So government should be allowed to fix the mistakes and that is all. Why allow the mistakes in the first place?

[edit on 103131p://31b3 by Ownification]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I'd really like to see him pull this one off! Think of it as payback for Manifest Destiny.

If they succeed in doing this it is a death knell for American interests in South America, that is for sure. Inflation will do them in, not to mention that other companies will fold like a house of cards. Christ he is nuts!

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by una caro

I agree. Another Cuba. How can anyone sit and watch tv everynight and listen to him talk for hours like Castro did. It would drive anyone crazy. Let him nationalize everything and he will see how things will go wrong as well as the Venezuelan people. I don't see Chavez staying in power for long. He will be kicked out and ofcourse a small revolution will take place from the people that are poor and still haven't anything even with nationalization. It will happen one way or another.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
This is coming to the U.S.

See those struggling people in Venezuela?

That is coming here.

Yes, how are we spoiled Americans going to handle this?

After all, we are entitled to everything....what happens when everything is lost?

Inflation is coming here...nationalization has already started with the banks.

So again...you say venezuela is almost a dictatorship....if so....what are we because it sure as hell ISN"T DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Chavez is nationalizing these companies for one reason.

The next thing you will see is Russian or Chinese ships pulling into Venezuelan port loaded with weapons and pulling out with rice and other crops.

The same thing happened in Cuba with fidel.

Then Chavez will start passing weapons out to drug cartels and revolutionary groups in central and south America.

[edit on 4-3-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
This is coming to the U.S.

See those struggling people in Venezuela?

That is coming here.

Yes, how are we spoiled Americans going to handle this?

After all, we are entitled to everything....what happens when everything is lost?

Inflation is coming here...nationalization has already started with the banks.

So again...you say venezuela is almost a dictatorship....if so....what are we because it sure as hell ISN"T DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC.

Great point, American nationalization is good but not Venezuelan. America calls other dictators for nationalization but uses a more relaxed term in its own nationalization: 'bailout'.

No point arguing about it. America has interests in free market since it has the largest economy in the world.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

The next thing you will see is Russian or Chinese ships pulling into Venezuelan port loaded with weapons and pulling out with rice and other crops.

What is wrong with Cuba, I don't get it. Everyone uses Cuba as an example I don't understand explain. I would love to know.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Thank you!
At least someone else knows the difference between a democratic republic and a democracy, which is what most people think the US is....and it never has been.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   

You had a murdering, Russian-backed Communist named Fidel Castro who killed his own countrymen to seize power, upsetting American (read: Mafia) interests so the US goes and embargoes them practically to death, ruining the country's economy and infrastructure for decades.

I live in a state with a very large Cuban expatriate population and have never once heard a Cuban with any positive comments for either the Castro regime or US policies toward the country. One thing is for sure, boatloads of people would not risk dying in the Atlantic to escape to Florida if that country had anything going for it, Cuba openly operates political prison camps like all Communist and neo-Communist states. Bitch all you want about FEMA camps, they've already lived through it there and that's one reason why so many Cubans take American citizenship and its responsibilities so seriously.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ownification

Originally posted by ANNED

What is wrong with Cuba, I don't get it. Everyone uses Cuba as an example I don't understand explain. I would love to know.

Just know this when a country has more people trying to flee it than stay then there is a problem.

Knowing many Cubans I can tell you that the Cubans in Cuba are some of the most friendly and joyous people, but that they are treated as commodity.

In any communistic or dictatorship people are nothing more than a unit of measure.

In answer to your other question, since you seem to be so critical of the free market, know that the free market is how people act in their best interests and over a medium and long term that is only sustainable by acting in the best interest of the consumer/client. Meaning you can screw people over for a little but once they catch on your business will be kaput.

The current problems with the economy by the way can be blamed directly on government interference and programs. It was Fannie mae and Freddie Mac who were buying up all the mortgages from the banks dishing them out. It was the Clinton and bush administrations who tried to increase home ownership and thus implemented programs to artificially do that.

If things were left laize fair the so called greedy executive would have acted in their best interests and the companies best interests and would never have gotten involved in these sub prime mortgages backed by the govt

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

price fixing is also illegal in the U.S....price fixing IS NOT free enterprise.
chavez is taking drastic measures though...i wonder if there is more to the story that isn't making it into the MSM.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   

chavez is taking drastic measures though...i wonder if there is more to the story that isn't making it into the MSM.

it sure is! He's closed independent tv media and journals and expeled several foreing journalists from venezuela. He's taking severe actions against the opposite party and polititians. Not to mention he's gain the right to be reelected as many times as he wants to run for election.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join