It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Economic Collapse Always Lead to Dictatorship?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I know I haven't seen much about it lately. In history, depression(which is what I believe we are headed for) usually ends up producing a single leader in control of everything. I think these "stimulus" packages are only delaying the inevitable.

-Hitler came to power due in part to economics(then war).
-FDR had the longest time in office of any other president due to economics(then war).

There are many others that I could list here(Castro), but I feel these two get my point across.

In the past the economics have been either isolated or contained within a certain network. Today, the entire planet is connected into one gigantic economic network. I see it when US stocks do bad one day, then during the night this drop goes on to Japan, China, Russia, Europe, England, and back to the US.

Will this economic meltdown eventually produce one or multiple dictatorships? Will war follow as it has in the past? Is there a chance of nuclear weapons being sold/used during this time? Would like to get some discussion started on this topic.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
The problem is when those kinds of collapses occur the only thing that usually corrects it is someone seizing control who can get the motor running again through a strong centralized leadership that operates under a strictly defined dogma. Usually it is someone who is initially perceived as charismatic since they are "inspirational" or is at least clever enough to tell people what they wan to hear. Imagine being on a sinking boat and no one being able to give the order to patch the hole and you see what I am getting at. A really good captain could easily persuade the sailors to stay on even when the sharks are circling.

Imagine dealing with millions of disenfranchised or intellectually broken people whose fates lie in your hands and you also can see why those people always lose the goal though many who migrate toward the political arena have definite signs of personality and psychological disorders to start with, making them convenient puppets in the short term for industrialists and bankers. Take a look at Hitler and his American financier backers sometime, he never would have made it without people like Henry Ford backing him.

I hate to say this but as mentally incompetent as an increasing number of people seem to be now, it is creating a vacuum that may only be filled by one of these people getting into office and preventing anarchy. I am an ardent Constitutionalist and staunch supporter of personal freedom but even I would forego a few liberties for a relatively safe and sustainable lifestyle than wind up in an American version of Liberia or Sudan which is where an awful lot of the world's people are rapidly heading. Things look really bad across much of Europe and we tend to follow their lead. The good thing is that political systems eventually crash so it would not be impossible to return to a normal life again though I hate to imagine the interim.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonking76

You're assuming we're not in a dictatorship right now. Just because they're not malicious despots doesn't mean they're not ignorant ones. It is tyranny of incompetence. Hopefully, this collapse leads to something better, like, actually following the Constitution.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Those kind of collapses have happened in the past, and things usually work out in the end, as you say.

My concern is that it hasn't happened to an empire since the Romans, and they did not have nuclear weapons. I believe that due to how our economies are linked, major parts of our world have already become an empire.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonking76

This happened to the roman empire yes and it will happen to the American one, history has shown over and over that nothing can have sole rule of this planet, if you get too big and think you can control the world you are only setting your self up for failure, in order to get strong enough to control this world something must and will give and without it you are buggered.

Please dont hate me for saying this but the American empire must fall, this will reset the current events, for how long i dont know but the longer America holds on the harder we will all fall. in a few hundred years i imagine china will try to rule and guess what... history will repeat.

I really hope for everones sake i am wrong.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
FDR was a dictator?

Who's this posting, the ghost of Ronald Reagan?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Yeah, I see a big difference between a popular leader being elected for two decades, and a dictator.

A more likely scenario has Biden being elected in 2016, but he'll be 74.

new topics

top topics

join