It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How quick do you go through a crossbow string?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Just wondered how long a crossbow string lasts on average?

I'm talking about a 150lb full size one, and an 80lb pistol crossbow. Recurve, not compound.

The strings don't seem to be that expensive, so it might be handy to have a few of them.

Thanks,

CX.

[edit on 4/3/09 by CX]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I keep five spare strings plus five sets of string knocks for the end of the prod as the plastic ones tend to split in time, I also keep an extra prod.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Im debating what to get either a long bow, or a cross bow but I don't know what the best would be for my bug out kit. I like the idea of a longbow cos it pretty much won the 100 yr war. Any suggestions?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Arent crossbow's illegal in the UK now?
I know bow's are still legal, although not to carry around in tesco's.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Im pretty sure there still legal there's a fish & airrifle shop that sells 30lb ones, but you want to get a bit more power than that

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Salamandrax
Arent crossbow's illegal in the UK now?
I know bow's are still legal, although not to carry around in tesco's.

No they are perfectly legal for now, until some effing Chav does something stupid with one anyway.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Crossbows are Noisey and have too many moving parts that can break. The best hunting weapon is a standard recurve bow. I replace my string every 3 years but ive never had one break. Ive had my recurve bow for 20 years and never had a problem with it. The newer recurves are made of better longer lasting materials,have more power and are really accurite.
Its not hard to learn how to shoot them. Im thinking of buying a new takedown recurve. If you do get a recure get a good quallity one. You will never regret it.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
If you go with a bow then you better be sure you have plenty of time to practice. It takes alot of practice to master a bow.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkice19
Crossbows are Noisey and have too many moving parts that can break. The best hunting weapon is a standard recurve bow. I replace my string every 3 years but ive never had one break. Ive had my recurve bow for 20 years and never had a problem with it. The newer recurves are made of better longer lasting materials,have more power and are really accurite.
Its not hard to learn how to shoot them. Im thinking of buying a new takedown recurve. If you do get a recure get a good quallity one. You will never regret it.

????? Bow string and trigger thats it in a crossbow, are you getting mixed up with Compound bows ?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Yeah I often hear the crossbow misconception.
The pulley system one is NOT an ideal SIT X weapon unless you have serious back-ground knowledge and infrastructure to fix it.
The simple crossbow, little changed since ancient times has stood the test of times, along with the longbow.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Maybe he means compound crossbow? Plenty of those around these days.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bun-G
Im debating what to get either a long bow, or a cross bow but I don't know what the best would be for my bug out kit. I like the idea of a longbow cos it pretty much won the 100 yr war. Any suggestions?

Crossbows are for the women. A good long bow is where it's at.

I have a 70lb trad long bow. Yew and lemon wood. The string I keep waxed and lasts for a good few months.

I use aluminium arrows at present but it is possible to buy the shafts and fletch your own arrows.

Even better if you have a turning machine, can build one easily enough with a solar powered batterypack and a black and Decker power drill, you can turn your own wooden shafs. though this requires skill and experience in what wood to use.

Cross bows are heavy and with a limited range. good for shortish distances. Long bows require far more skill but once attained are accurate upto 350 feet.

It's easy to weight the shafts and you don't need to bur the points for a kill.I once put an arrow through a car door clean with my 70lb pull.

Things to bear in mind.

1. Number of arrows you want to fire within what time scale, important as 70lb's is harsh on your arm after just a dozen arrows.

2. Equipment - you need a good forearm guard, a good hat with a brim, finger protector for the release, quiver for the arrows, bees wax, and materials to fletch.

3. Practice - Unless your surname is hood you will need lots of this. I don't get to do as much archery as I like these days and it always takes me a few shots to bring myself into the zone again.

You know you don't have to buy a bow you can make an effective bow from 4/5 bamboo cains, binder twine, gaffer tape, garden grow sticks, nails, feathers and super glue.

if sit x happens though, you need to think more about close quarters battle, big knives or swords / shields are the way forward.

Also good idea to start practicing throwing knives / daggers.

Another good weapon to get use to is two sticks. Eskrima is one of the best close quarter fighting styles as populated by Bruce Lee in enter the dragon, actually a Filipino martial art.

A good old staff is good enough when you have enough room to swing it.

One good point to make here though is if you like myself have started to stash supplies the best way top avoid battle on a regular basis is ensure that stash remains a secret. It needs to be somewhere you can get at is easily without other seeing you or suspecting you. The best way to manage this is be somewhere where there are no others, other than those you trust.

Don't stash it all in one place either or if you lose a battle and still come out alive you will still have reserves.

Well enough of this talk. It all sounds like a fantasy but scarily it is enough of a possibility that we all need to think of these things now.

Anyway,

All the best,

NeoN HaZe

CX

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neon Haze
Another good weapon to get use to is two sticks. Eskrima is one of the best close quarter fighting styles as populated by Bruce Lee in enter the dragon, actually a Filipino martial art.

A good old staff is good enough when you have enough room to swing it.

NeoN HaZe

Funny you should say that, i'm a real light sleeper and if i hear the slightest creak at night i'm up like a shot. First things i grab is the half a yard brush handle thats kept nex to my bed lol. Theres something about a hefty stick that makes you know that it's not going to malfunction when you need it!

Thanks for all the great replies on this. I'm seriously rething getting a fullsize crossbow and maybe just getting a decent 80lb pistol one for now.

Then replacing the fullsize crossbow idea with a decent recurve bow.

Food for thought anyway.

Thanks.

CX.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Neon Haze

Thanks for the info

I'll be getting a longbow when I get paid, I agree everyone should have a knife or 2 to hand aswell

new topics

top topics

join