It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Older autos and EMPs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

Exactly, EMP induces current in any conductor. The distinction between what lives and what dies is its ability to withstand the current. A vehicle ECU with a microprocessor or a thousand discrete components will not be able to take it. A vehicle with an older electromechanical ignition system would shrug it off.

A 20 year old Cessna light plane with a carb inducted, magneto ignition, piston engine won't be affected by an EMP.

A current $2 mil light jet with FADEC turbine engines and a cockpit like a video game will be toast.

[edit on 6-3-2009 by hotrodturbo7]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
I have been going over the idea of transportation after an EMP. Aside from saddling up a horse, I think having a vehicle to get someplace in, even if it is a long distance one way trip, might be a good idea.

What were the last vehicles made that the actual driving mechanisms were not electronically/computer controlled? Ideally something that could hold 4+ people and able to handle dirt roads somewhat well. Do I need to start looking for vehicles from the 60's or older?

Has anyone else set themselves up for such a situation?

you can still avoid EMP wipe out by two methods, first if you have a pterol powered engine you need to set aside a dry battery and acid, start motor, alternator, ignition modules, fuel pump if its electric, if its a modern vehicle, or points, condensor, coil and resistor if its an older model, a full set of bulbs and fuses etc and store them in a lead lined box surrounded by a home made faraday cage.

If you have a older diesel you will still ideally need a start motor, battery and fuel cut off solonoid, fuel pump if its electric etc, However cos a diesel does not have an ignition system you can jerry rig a diesel to keep running. If you dont bother with a starter motor you need to weld a starting handle dog on the bottom pully and get a cranking handle, the fuel pump if its one of the engine driven mechanical ones it will be fine, otherwise you will need to jerry rig a fuel tank higher up than the injector pump so it gravity feeds, you can always bump start a diesel if you are very fit.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Here are some vehicles you might want to consider, that are old but still very useful.

-68-86' chevy pickup. They are everywhere, you still see them on the road.

-VW bug

-VW Bus

-Ford bronco pre 86'

-classic mustang

-classic camaro

-any of the popular muscle cars of the late 60's early 70's because people still make parts for them, and they are easy to find.

-Newer vehicles that can be retro fitted with points ignition, and carburation:

Ford vehicles with the 5.0L or 302, this includes newer pickups, explorers, and mustangs. Also ford vehicles with the 460 which includes newer vans and pickups.

Chevy vehicles with a 305 or 350, even some of the newer "vortec headed" 350's are ok because they make intake manifolds for carbs for racing purposes. Also some of the newer trucks with the big block engines, the newer ones are bigger displacement than the 454, but the new 496 will take the same intake manifold as the older 427/454 motors.

Same with dodge rams that came with a 318 or 360, you can convert them to carburation.

I don't know much about the foreign stuff, but for a "survival" vehicle the only foreign one I would get is the bug, because they are everywhere.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join