It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

where are the damned phase rifles at?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
ok so we are at a point where mobile phones can trigger bombs
household chemicals can more than likely take out a small town
the mirco chip was born at the same time as the atomic bomb
as we have been told so then we still use basic weapons
fill a magazine with small chunks of metal and exploding powder
yes same old boring things but im not having a moan at these lethal yet impressive inventions im just curious as to why beam cannons or rail guns haven't been tested out on the field

"the best defence is a good offence" yeah right its who has the biggest gun is the victor but that also means theyre own defeat at the same time cruel as to how we live in a barbaric world so sad.

so we cant build a weapon of such devastation that the country who creates such a device shall fall before its overwhelming power and so yes maybe this is why we dont meddle in these affairs, i would like to add that im not a member of the NRA or own a gun for that matter i see that they cause death but so can a shower curtain when you think about it.

so weapons of mass destruction dont exsist i have more to say but i would like some feed back first.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Rail guns are being developed right now. The US Navy has a prototype / technology demonstrator at the Dahlgren proving grounds. The biggest problems with the rail guns are the power supplies. It takes a *lot* of electrical power to fire one, and that means huge generator / capacitor systems.

Beam weapons have problems beyond the power supply. Charged-particle beams tend to spread over distance, due to mutual particle repulsion, and tend to be difficult to aim. Neutral particle beams tend to be hard to focus or aim, and lasers suffer attenuation in atmosphere.

It's not some sort of 'technology suppression conspiracy', it's the difference between real-world engineering and the stuff of science fiction novels. That said, if we don't see an operational rail gun within 5-10 years (assuming R&D funding stays in), I'll be very surprised. It won't be man-portable, or even tank-portable...but the folks in the Navy's program seem very confident.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
yes i know what you mean about the engineering down sides
but by know they must have some solution to solving these problems.

i mean the rail gun would need a substantional amount but how many times are they wanting to fire or better question would be how many would it be capable of, partical beam cannons still ahead of our time but think of the wonders to witness such a creation history in the making sad part though the end of an era for aleast one country.

would you like to be responsible for the slaughter of innocent people to be sick and twist yes i would accept those terms but better myself not to use it again useless the time was needed.

salvation or annihilation?

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Grum125

Are you kidding? I am on the waiting list for a Phase Plasma Rifle in a 40watt range. Just kidding. I wish it were true.

What engineers and scientists are realizing is that making plasma, lasers, or any energy-based weaponry is more difficult and originally theorized. A related example is robots. We all thought our lives would be consumed by robots in every facet of life. But our computer technology is too primitive to have autonomous robots. The best robot we can have are essentially RCs.

It is predicted techology will enter into a new era when quantum computers become useful.

top topics

join