It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vaccine court continues to compensate MMR victims in secret

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
On February 12, 2009, the federal vaccine court announced in three highly publicized cases, that the MMR vaccine, in combination with thimerosal-containing vaccines, does not cause or contribute to autism.

Following the ruling, the US Department of Health and Human services said the rulings should "help reassure parents that vaccines do not cause autism."

However...

Just three days after announcing the denial of a vaccine-autism link in the Feb. 12th 2009 case, the same court awarded an estimated $3 million dollars to the family of 10 year-old Bailey Banks on Friday, February 20, 2009, and confirmed that the child’s acute brain damage was a result of the MMR vaccine, which led to his autism spectrum disorder (ASD).

Although the US vaccine court continues official denials to the public of any connection between the MMR shots and autism, it quietly settled the case with the Banks family.

The Banks family won their case quietly and without fanfare in June of 2007, but the ruling has only now come to public attention.

But this wasn't an isolated incident. A CBS news investigation revealed that since 1988, the vaccine court has awarded judgements and compensation, often in millions of dollars, to 1322 families whose children suffered brain damage from vaccines.

In many of these cases, the government paid out awards following a judicial finding that vaccine injury lead to the child's autism spectrum disorder. In all of these cases, the attorneys opted out of the infamous "Omnibus Autism Proceedings" and instead argued their autism cases in the regular vaccine court.

It appears the Vaccine Court seems willing to award millions of dollars in compensation to vaccine-injured autistic children, as long as they don't call the injury by the loaded term "autism."

This issue of language and word games seems to be of highest importance and will be an obvious issue for vaccine victims who appear before the Omnibus Autism Proceedings (OAP).

In 1986 Congress was urged by the pharmaceutical industry to create the "special Vaccine Court". The court has since protected vaccine makers from liability and also led to a tripling of vaccines given to children.

An important fact remains.

" In 1976, children received 10 vaccines before attending school. Today they will receive over 36 injections. The American Academy of Pediatrics and the Center for Disease Control assured parents that it was safe to not only give these vaccines, but that they could be given at one time with complete safety.

In the early 1980s, the incidence of autism was 1 in 10,000 births. By 2005, the incidence had leaped to 1 in 250 births and today it is 1 in 150 births and still climbing.One of the strongest links to this terrible set of disorders was a drastic change in the vaccine programs of the United States and many other countries, which included a dramatic increase in the number of vaccines being given at a very early age."-Dr Russell Blaylock

Vaccine court awards MMR victim millions

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
This is actually another illness entirely:

What is Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis?

Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM) is a neurological disorder characterized by inflammation of the brain and spinal cord caused by damage to the myelin sheath. The myelin sheath is the fatty covering, which acts as an insulator, on nerve fibers in the brain. ADEM may occur in association with a viral or bacterial infection, as a complication of inoculation or vaccination, or without a preceding cause. Onset of the disorder is sudden. Symptoms, which vary among individuals, may include headache, delirium, lethargy, coma, seizures, stiff neck, fever, ataxia, optic neuritis, transverse myelitis, vomiting, and weight loss. Other symptoms may include monoparesis (paralysis of a single limb) or hemiplegia (paralysis on one side of the body). The disorder occurs in children more often than in adults.

Link

I believe that the award was due to damage that the vaccination caused which resulted in autistic like symptoms, not autism itself. I found the website which published the proceedings of the complaint and the results:

Court Link

There is a very important difference between these two conditions. While your dilligence is admirable... the facts aren't quite right. I just wanted to set the record straight.

I am in no way suggesting that vaccines are safe for everyone, nor am I making a case for vaccines (although personally I believe that vaccines have saved countless lives). I'm simply saying that there is no definitive scientific evidence that vaccines cause autism. (although they may precipitate it. The jury is still out on this one. There is some evidence to suggest that in an individual that is at risk for autism, any illness that is signifcant enough to trigger a moderate immune response will bring on the autistic symptoms).

-Amnio

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amniodarone

This is actually another illness entirely

That statement literally says that I in some way implied, Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM) was autism.

Here's what we know;

- The vaccine court confirmed that the boy's acute brain damage was a result of the MMR vaccine, which led to his autism spectrum disorder (ASD). The important event is that the vaccine injury lead to the child's ASD.

- The court found that the MMR vaccination had caused Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM) which in turn had led to "Pervasive Developmental Disorder" (PDD).

(PDD) is a generic term referring to a group of disorders that share certain essential features: qualitative impairments in reciprocal social interaction, qualitative impairments in both verbal and nonverbal communication and a restrictive stereotypic pattern of behaviours. There are a variety of disorders that fall under this category, the most well known of which is autism. - Dr. Peter Szatmari

The ruling also revealed that the vaccine court had heard previous cases where the MMR vaccine had caused Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis according to Special Master Richard Abell.

That judgment followed a previous case in which the vaccine court said, 9 year old Hanna Poling had developed autism as a result of nine vaccines administered simultaneously, including MMR.

"In 1976, children received 10 vaccines before attending school. Today they will receive over 36 injections. The American Academy of Pediatrics and the Center for Disease Control assured parents that it was safe to not only give these vaccines, but that they could be given at one time with complete safety." -Dr Russell Blaylock

For Hanna Poling the court ruled that the nine simultaneously administered vaccines had, "significantly aggravated an underlying mitochondrial disorder, which predisposed her to deficits in cellular energy metabolism, and manifested as a regressive encephalopathy with features of autism spectrum disorder."

I think that might be what you were referring to when you mentioned, "an individual that is at risk for autism".

I don't think anyone would argue that children with compromised immune systems can have an increased risk of an adverse response from a vaccine.

But is it not possible that vaccines are overextending immune systems?

And what about this "mitochondrial disorder"? Is that what you were referring to by being at risk for autism?

The only thing that seems to make sense ultimately is the wordplay . Because from what I gathered about "mitochondrial disorder" is that;
  • it's genetic
  • diagnosis can be invasive, expensive, time-consuming, and labor-intensive
  • symptoms can include anything under the sun
  • there is no way to predict the course of the disease
  • and the disease is diagnosed by a wide range of tests which "might not be able to confirm a specific diagnosis or put a name to the disorder"
source

In this case the court is virtually saying, "vaccines aggravated a very rare underlying disorder that resulted in autism like symptoms in this one incident ".

Here, the court is attempting to put the emphasis on the mitochondrial disorder as the real culprit of the autism, rather than the vaccine. As if to say, when someone dies of lung cancer, the genetic predisposition for vulnerability to lung cancer is to blame not the cigarette or the smoke .

If the child had this underlining problem, how could it be determined that the autism spectrum disorder was caused by the MMR vaccine and not the mitochondrial disorder itself which is an apparent possibility? Was this "'mitochondrial disorder" a benefit to their public perception of a "legitimate vaccine court"? What about kids without any underlining disorder? They don't deserve compensation?

Or is the key to the court rulings determined on the necessity to find something for the vaccine to interact with, causing it to injure kids? That appeared to be the case until the recent ruling of Bailey Banks.

There is a very important difference between these two conditions...
I'm simply saying that there is no definitive scientific evidence that vaccines cause autism

There is also a very important difference between " cause autism" and "can cause autism ".

What I'm presenting is that there is definitive scientific evidence that vaccines CAN cause autism.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I think you miss my point. In this case, the court is not saying that vaccines caused autism (or PDD). I agree with this statement. You quoted me, but you didn't take the next sentence... I also said that vaccines MAY precipitate the disorder. I also stated that anything that precipitated the immunue response in a moderate way (like vaccines, viruses, and bacteria) could iniatate the response that lead to autism. There is not enough scientific evidence to determine this one way or another; and I don't think that this case conclusively proves either position.

In this particular case, the vaccines triggered the cascade of events (due to the mitrochrondial disorder) that lead to a SEQUALAE of autistic-like symptoms. It is important to differentiate between primary symptoms and sequalae.

A matter of semantics, maybe.... but the differences are important.

[edit on 09/20/2008 by Amniodarone]

[edit on 09/20/2008 by Amniodarone]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

In this particular case, the vaccines triggered the cascade of events (due to the mitrochrondial disorder) that lead to a SEQUALAE of autistic-like symptoms. It is important to differentiate between primary symptoms and sequalae.

There is no such thing as "autistic like symptoms" as autism IS a set of (behavioural) symptoms.. thats how it's diagnosed. thats like saying "pain like symptoms": either someone's in pain or they're not. Even severe shyness can be classified as being on the autistic spectrum.

[edit on 8-3-2009 by riley]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley

There is no such thing as "autistic like symptoms" as autism IS a set of (behavioural) symptoms.. thats how it's diagnosed. thats like saying "pain like symptoms": either someone's in pain or they're not. Even severe shyness can be classified as being on the autistic spectrum.

I respectfully disagree. I think that you will find that most parents with autistic children would disagree with this statement as well. Shyness would never be classified as being on the autistic spectrum. There is a medical difference between primary symptoms and sequalae..... although the end result might be similiar.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   

I respectfully disagree. I think that you will find that most parents with autistic children would disagree with this statement as well. Shyness would never be classified as being on the autistic spectrum. There is a medical difference between primary symptoms and sequalae..... although the end result might be similiar.

I said severe shyness.. not just shyness and yes it could be if it was a suspected aspergers case.

Again. autism is a label that was created to describe a set of symptoms that kept appearing in patients. There is no such thing as "autistic like symptoms" as they don't really know what causes the symptoms of autism.

edit. "Cause" as in they don't yet know enough about the brain pinpoint the exact malfunction/defect that creates autistic symptoms. The cause of the malfunction itself is whats under dispute.. whether it be a birth defect or vaccine damage etc.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Amniodarone

Semantics is seen widely in politics, academia and matters of "professional opinion". In all cases it's a very powerful tool for persuading the lay person or those of us who guide our behaviour according to expert authority and "professional opinion". It's obvious that this topic has been abundant with semantics for some time.

An excellent example of doublespeak within this topic is detailed in the November 1, 2007 article titled, “Vaccines and Autism: Myths and Misconceptions,” written by Steven Novella, MD.

The following link is the formal review written March 31, 2008 by Paul G. King, PhD

“A Review of the Doublespeak in: ‘Vaccines and Autism: Myths and Misconceptions'"

"Dr. Novella is an academic clinical neurologist at Yale University School of Medicine. He is the president and co-founder of the New England Skeptical Society. He is also the host and producer of the popular weekly science podcast, The Skeptics’ Guide to the Universe."

"Paul G. King, PhD is actively engaged in legal, educational and scientific efforts to stop all use of mercury in medicine, and to ban the use of all mercury-containing medicines. He earned his PhD in analytical chemistry and began a varied career in industry working in analytical research, product development, product approval, and quality. Dr. King has authored or co-authored more than 30 peer-reviewed publications, numerous technical documents and submissions to the FDA."

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I am glad I found this ... I did a ATS search for the topic but came up short ... I posted the same topic in the general conspiracies forum.

I think you miss my point. In this case, the court is not saying that vaccines caused autism (or PDD).

Here was one of my posts:

UPDATE:

Here is a link to the full text the courts decision.

The Court's Decision

It is quite a read but very interesting if you are up to it.

Basically:

Based upon that finding of fact, it follows as a natural conclusion that Petitioner has carried his burden of proving to a preponderance that the MMR vaccine at issue actually caused the condition(s) from which Bailey suffered and continues to suffer. Inasmuch as the other elements of § 300aa–11 (b) and (c) have already been satisfied, the Court holds that Petitioner has met his burden on his case in chief.

"the MMR vaccine actually caused the condition from which Bailey suffered and continues to suffer"

Doesn't really get any clearer than that.

If you look at all the different evidence, I, personally, feel that it is obvious that vaccines are primarily about making money and about the health of our kids secondary.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
It is well known by parents who have kids with autism know where it comes from. I have a soon to be 9 yr old kid with autism. I have old video of him age 3/4 he was a typical normal kid until his shot at 5.. MMR shot, after that he acquired what they thought was ADHD/ODD then PDD then end result was autism.

Just so you know like Riley I have been fighting this MMR link to autism for a long long while now. Look back on my posts, one of the 1st posts I made about this autism thing was the one where Alex Jones talks about how Mercury is good for kids.

Link Here

Also recent info here by Jenny McCarthy.

But there is a wealth of info on this subject on ATS it isn't funny, from people like myself and Riley and also by people who believe people like Riley and myself are wacked, so either way you can make your own mind up on what to think.

But for myself I have the proof I need to know for a fact that the MMR shot is the main cause of autism.

I also found this video of interest.

Google Video Link

Google Vid link

[edit on 3/11/2009 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
ThichHeaded,

I understand how you feel. You see, I have a 7 year old son with autism as well. My wife and myself realized that he was different from birth. There was no sudden change when he received his MMR. In fact, he didn't even have the typical fusiness or fever that usually accompanies the vaccination. In my opinion.... Jenny McCarthy does not take the place of research and science. I know that this is a conspiracy forum, but until I see some science (including actual research that has been peer reviewed by an independent authority), I will still believe that vaccines play a minimal part in actually causing autism. It may play a part in bringing on the symptoms... but as I stated earlier... I believe that anything that casuses a moderate reaction in the immune system (that would include a viral infection, a bacterial infection or even a vaccine) might bring about the actual symptoms. For most children, the MMR is the first exposure that they have to their immune systems. The actual structural differences of the brain of an individual with autism points more towards a genetic component than an environmental one. (Note, I'm not saying that environmental componets don't exacerbate the symptoms... I'm simply stating that the underlying condition already exists. Sometimes, it just takes a "trigger" to bring about the symptoms. Other times, it "triggers" without an apparent cause). While parents in some nations have stopped vaccinating their children with the MMR... the incidence of autism has not dropped. (although the incidence of measles has risen).

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
A few points to make about what you stated.

1. I didn't use Her as a research study I said useful info about some of this MMR/Autism link. I haven't seen anything since.

2. There have been studies where lets pick someone out of the blue.... The Amish persay where there was a study I believe in Lancaster Pa of I think 100,000 of them only 2 kids had autism and one was adopted into the community so that would leave us 1 and 100,000.

3. The people who were representing the CDC in the video above did not give her any answers on why they haven't taken out the Mercury preservative in the MMR shots, and yes she is right on that it was a voluntary me sure, not forced. Alot of the MMR shots still have the preservative still in them.

4. as the OP stated if the MMR shot has nothing to do with the cause of autism, then why did they give those people the money for the shot that F**Ked their kid up for life? Usually that would be a clear indication of some type of lie somewhere., unless you can prove otherwise.

5. it is known fact that news reports have tired to say the mercury in the MMR shot actually good for your kids not bad, why would that be.

Anyway I am not going to fight this anymore, we all believe what we want, and in the end someone will be right. You wanna fight me on this go look back on what I have put on this board regarding this and post in one of them, I have made a lot of work on this and frankly I am sick of repeating the same thing over and over again. Which is why I stay out of the 9/11 forums anymore.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
In general, I think an important point is not only the MMR vaccine being of issue when we discuss autism spectrum disorders but the entire vaccination policy we as the general public subscribe our children to from birth.

The American Academy of Pediatrics and the Centers for Disease Control assure parents that it's safe to administer these vaccines and that multiple vaccines can be given at a single time with complete safety.

Keep in mind that a child by age one will already have had 20 vaccine inoculations, each spaced no more than one or two months apart.

Take a look for yourself

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9f28dd4f87f8.gif[/atsimg]

As thichheaded mentioned, some of us believe there is something intrinsically wrong with this.

In addition, recent CDC recommendations state children are to receive a flu vaccine every year starting at age 6 months through 18 years.

The incidence of autism has increased dramatically, since the mid-1980s. It is not hard to understand how administering a live, immunosuppressant vaccine early on in life can dramatically increase the risk of autoimmune disorders, increase brain injury, and increase the risk of infection by other immunesuppressing viruses. But our vaccination program doesn't dramatically increases the risk of a child developing one of the autism spectrum disorders (ASDs)?

I know that this is a conspiracy forum, but until I see some science (including actual research that has been peer reviewed by an independent authority), I will still believe that vaccines play a minimal part in actually causing autism.

That is spoken like a trained doctor who has to be convinced of this position to morally serve the public. Indeed a difficult position to be in.

Immunology, like nutrition, receives minimal attention in medical school and even less in physician residency training.

I can read actual peer review research supporting my position all day (afterall, I've done it for years). But you waiting for an "authority" publication (??CDC and the American Academy of Pediatrics??) is naive at best.

Edit:spelling

[edit on 15-3-2009 by StrangeBrew]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I think what most people don't know, is that a Vaccine actually contain's a weakened form of the virus that it is supposed to vaccinate you from.

Because, if you then thought about it logically, it is inhumane to give a baby with a fragile immune system- 10 different virus's and expect that their brain continue to develop normally.

I think- that Parents need to start thinking for themselves, and not believe all the hype and paranoia around not getting vaccinated. I will not vaccinate my children until they are atleast age 5. This is an educated choice I am making and I believe it will protect my children. Parents need to stand up to the medical and pharmacutical communities. Otherwise- 1 in 5 kids will end up with Autism and then what-- we continue to believe the bull# that vaccines dont harm babies?

Think outside the box People.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by xynephadyn]

new topics

top topics

join