It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coverage of the Near Earth Object

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I read a Popular Mechanics article a couple of years back that was very in depth in discussing the various asteroids, meteors, and meteorites that are orbiting the earth as well previous mega impacts and the program that tracts them. It was a very interesting article, but the part that made my jaw drop was the budget for Deep Impact and Armageddon was ten times the amount that was being spent in actual research to evaluate what steps could be taken if we were able to find one of these giants early enough in orbit. I will try locate a link. It was right around the time they broke Air Force saucer thing that we were never suppose to have.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Jnewell33

Thanks for that Jnewell33! I will look forward to the link.....

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by scrubsnstuffkim
reply to post by Kaifan

Saying something will and could are two different things. If something of that size were to his this planet, it very well would have a devistating effect.

Well, saying "had it hit, it would have a devistating effect" and saying "had it hit, the world would have ended" are two very different things.

Are you suggesting that our "kids" can't take it?? Why would they be so interested in the topics we discuss here at ATS if they can't even wrap their minds around the possibility and the ramifications of such an event as this?? That's what I don't understand.

Some actually can't, and would probably start living in fear after hearing something like that, for certain people, words can and have a profound impact in their lives, not everyone is on ATS, and not everyone wants to know, actually is the other way around, most people won't listen or believe, most people will be afraid of "knowing".

Causing fear on people just because, without actual knowledge of the implications or circumstances, why would i do something like that?

But anyway, Phage just posted good info about the actual implications of a similar object hitting earth, so there's no more left to say.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
www.popularmechanics.com...

found it, hope the link works

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

Well, thanks for letting us know we can stop posting now. I appreciate it.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Jnewell33

Thanks Jnewell. I appreciate your INPUT......that's what I wanted (another thanks to you, Phage)

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
"FOX News carried it for a couple of minutes this morning. They mentioned that it came close to Earth and the next time will be in 2029." quote

Sorry for beating a dead horse but after reading the link to see how bad I remembered it I noticed that it said the asteroid it was documenting would come close to us again in 2029. Now maybe I'm going out on limb but it would seem that the one that just missed us and the one PM pointed out two years ago may be the same one.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by scrubsnstuffkim
reply to post by Kaifan

Well, thanks for letting us know we can stop posting now. I appreciate it.

that's not what i meant, i mean, there's nothing left to say, about what i was talking about, not about what the thread is really about.

Don't be mad at me

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I think there is a lot of talk about the Earth's pole shift and the galactic alignment of 2012.

There is a school of thought that as this alignment proceeds it will put us right in the belt of the Milky Ways which is a minefield of asteroids. This is supposed to increase our chances of receiving significant damage from numerous collisions.

Maybe there is some truth to this.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

Forgiven.....thank you for clearing that up, I really thought it was directed at me, the OP!!

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by scrubsnstuffkim

how many people wonder about the satellites that "smashed into each other" over Siberia? Haven't we been having alot of meteorites lately? The one in Canada was before the satallite crash

It's beginning to look like the US is taking down a lot of the competition's hardware ...

Something that burns greenish-blue when it comes into the atmosphere may well be a bolide, but just remember - copper, the stuff which makes up most of electronic circuit boards, also burns green ...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join