It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can religion be used as a means of justification ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Can religion be used as a means of justification ?

Can and should it be used as a tool of justification of our actions ?

We seem to fall back on religion to answer all our answers, either initialy or after a certain situation arises that cant be solved utilizing logic.

Deep

[Edited on 17-4-2004 by ZeroDeep]

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Is religion anything else than the answer to all the questions that cannot be answered logically?

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I don't think that religion should be used as a means of justification for our actions. Any person who does something must take responsibility for their own actions. Religion, like all models of potential human operation, must only be there to guide ones decisions, but the person must take their own responsibility for what happens.

Religion can be used, but I don't think it should be used because religion is the product of a human, and anything from a human is certain to have flaws in it.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
If we use religion as a justification of are actions, it allows us not to take responsbility for are actions. Its too easy to say....."I done it for God" or "God wanted me to do it" because its basicly using religion as a scapegoat.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I would say religion should NOT be used as a justification of our actions.
Examples of this would be the Crusades, the Inquisition, and the baptism by fire that has occurred thorught history when "missionaries" kileed those who would not be baptized.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
I would say religion should NOT be used as a justification of our actions.
Examples of this would be the Crusades, the Inquisition, and the baptism by fire that has occurred thorught history when "missionaries" kileed those who would not be baptized.

DontTreadOnMe, i totally agree with you. If we start using religion to justify our actions, it allows us to get away with murder.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Religion can be used for personal justification and it is being currently used on a mass scale around the world.

But it Should NOT be used for justification.

We are all personally responsible for our actions, if you understand the "God as in I", the reincarnation, and karma theories and are aware of the paranormal, then you should understand how people will use religion to avoid responsibility.

[Edited on 4-17-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
As the Noble Qur'an states: No one should take his or her religion in excess. Meaning, don't be too crazy.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
Religion can be used for personal justification and it is being currently used on a mass scale around the world.

But it Should NOT be used for justification.

We are all personally responsible for our actions, ...]

Absolutely. Using religion as a foundation for our aactions can be commendable.
Using religion and God as an excuse for bad behaviour is inexcuable. But, the folks who do this usually don't see what they are doing

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
As the Noble Qur'an states: No one should take his or her religion in excess. Meaning, don't be too crazy.

Good point. The only problem is, how do you define the level where it becomes "excess."

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
in other words don't commit genocide and say "I was doing what my God told me".

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I know this is a little dated, but I think it gives a good example of religious views being forced on people. "Justifying" their making of decisions for others:
Egypt Bans Matrix Reloaded

If i were Egytian, I would be very resentful of the Govt and religious leaders deciding what I can be exposed to based on their beliefs.

top topics

join