It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tent city dismantled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

This brought me to tears. Unbelievable. They are more worried about endangered species than humans. SERIOUSLY.

I hope it has not been posted already. sorry if so......

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Did this make the news? Are there any articles about this? Did they give the people any options for a place to stay?

I repsect their need to have somewhere to live, but I have one concern about tent cities. Where do they go to the bathroom? If a tent city gets large enough and people are just going wherever, disease will breed in these camps.

Endangered species? All I can say is pass me a slice of the last "honmaguro", please. Would you believe I used to be an eco-nazi?

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan

I repsect their need to have somewhere to live, but I have one concern about tent cities. Where do they go to the bathroom? If a tent city gets large enough and people are just going wherever, disease will breed in these camps.

Other tent cities currently in california actually have port-a-potties lined up. of course it is like 6 portables for 300 people.....california, from what i can see is being very supportive of these people so far.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
There were some tent cities in Reno NV too.
They were allowed to stay for a while, that is until the weather started getting cold. Then, for some reason they were dismantled and the people kicked out. This was in the fall.

Then
About a month ago, there was another story of "trash" appearing in some nearby canyons..Near Virginia City, for those who know the area.
The "trash" they were talking about was the stuff that homeless folks were accumulating. Of course, the residents of the area were "outraged".
Saying things like "we can't have all this trash ruining the views of this beautiful landscape".
Effectively calling the people trash.

Some of these people were complete families, trying to survive by staying together.

The politicians here pretended to have no idea where all these people came from. As we all know, politicians are great pretenders..

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Above and beyond what the PTB are dismantling, another, fundamental (and far-reaching) issue, arises:

what kind of a state/society are they in the process of erecting?

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
This just sad, I wish that the people in this tent cities will just march into Washington and set tents in the long pristine mall in from of the White House and the Capitol building.

Like that the media will have not choice but to ask the government an explanation of what is going on.

Perhaps finally the word Depression will make head lines.

[edit on 4-3-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Flagged and starred.

I first heard about tent cities a few years ago, and there was a lot of coverage. Then the headlines all disappeared. But I'll bet the tent cities haven't.

Saw a CBC documentary a couple of weeks ago about the leader of a Toronto tent city (the word hero was in the title). Nothing else tho.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
i just don't get it. where else are these people supposed to go (fema camps, i know). there will be more and more "cities" like this in the near future i'm sure. i sure as hell would rather live in a tent society, where people are all pulling together, than a fema camp. the more videos i watch on this the madder i get.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Heh ...

Well, the Victoria Police did state that 85 additional beds were being made at several shelters in the area.

The people were told they could camp there from 9:00 pm until 7:00 am. At the time this was filmed it was (I believe) 2:15 pm.

On the one hand I can understand the homeless people's point of view. I've been homeless and I know what it is like to not have someplace you can keep your property at least somewhat "secure".

On the other hand, they were given specific time frames in which they could "camp" in that area and they chose to ignore them.

And ... what was with the woman who was doing handstands while the police were trying to seperate the others? LOL

Being the type of person I am, I wish I had thousands of acres of property where I could let people stay. :/

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Originally posted by tamusan

Sorry to gross some out, but, since it was mentioned...

India Failing to Control Open Defecation Blunts Growth as Disease Spreads
www.bloomberg.com...

[edit on 3/4/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by azurite
They are more worried about endangered species than humans. SERIOUSLY.

Well, come on now, it's not like humans are on the endangered species list. I wouldn't worry about this until humans make that list.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It is indeed depressing. Maybe it was just me, but I do not think the cops liked having to do that. You could see on a few of their faces they felt bad for the people.

At least that's what I hope I saw.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
How does it feel to look into the future.

As more and more people are forced out of their home, due to forclosure; tent cities, abandoned buildings, homes, under bridges, wreaked cars, etc. will be the dwelling place of the disenfranchised.

Yes, disease will spread, the homeless will get hungry, then angry and violent.

Then the authorities will take notice and take some action.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house!!

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
It's completely shameful...first they lose their houses, and then are told they can't live on the streets either...what the hell are they supposed to do? There isn't even a decent welfare housing system to catch them. It's a sad, frightening, miserable reflection of how we've got it all wrong.

Shipping containers...why not? Many people would make the most of them. If I had a choice of a shelter and a container...what do you think I would go for? Far from ideal, I know, but cheap and safe. And the solution to the hygiene issue is to teach people to dig earth closets...just a hole in the ground, but it works.

**sad**

new topics

top topics

join