It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geocaching

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Hope I placed this in the right forum, if not please could a mod move it.

How do you pronounce Geocaching?

You pronounce it Geo-cashing, like cashing a check.

What is Geocaching?

Geocaching is a worldwide game of hiding and seeking treasure. A geocacher can place a geocache in the world, pinpoint its location using GPS technology and then share the geocache’s existence and location online. Anyone with a GPS unit can then try to locate the geocache.

Quick Video on Geocaching basics

Introduction to Geocaching PDF file Here

1. If you take something from the cache, leave something of equal or greater value.
2. Write about your find in the cache logbook.
3. Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.

What is usually in a cache?

In its simplest form, a cache always contains a logbook. The logbook contains information from the owner of the cache, notes from visitors and can contain much valuable, rewarding, and entertaining information. In smaller caches, a logsheet may be used.

Larger caches may contain a logbook and any number of more or less valuable items. These items turn the cache into a true treasure hunt. You never know what the owner or other visitors of the cache may have left there for you to enjoy. Remember, if you take something, it is only fair for you to leave something in return. It is recommended that items in a cache be individually packaged in a clear, zipped plastic bag to protect them from the elements.

Quite often you may also find a trackable item. Groundspeak Trackables come in two types: Groundspeak Travel Bugs®, and official Geocoins.

A Groundspeak Travel Bug is a trackable tag that you attach to an item, and which travels from cache to cache with the help of people like you. Each tag is etched with a unique code which the finder can use to log its travels on this website. Every Travel Bug has a goal given by its owner, so if you think you can help it along on its journey feel free to take it with you.

Where are caches found?

It is common for geocachers to hide caches in locations that are important to them, reflecting a special interest or skill of the cache owner. These unique locations on the planet can be quite diverse. Make sure to read the cache descriptions carefully, especially the difficulty and terrain ratings as some cache finds can be technical and physically challenging.

For instance, a cache located on the side of a rocky cliff accessible only by rock climbing equipment may be hard to find. An underwater cache may only be accessed by SCUBA. Other caches may require long difficult hiking, orienteering and special equipment. Caches may be located in cities both above and below ground, and outside of buildings. Even the skillful placement of a small logbook in an urban environment may be quite challenging to find even with the accuracy of a GPS. Have fun and remember to share your geocaching experiences online.

More information at geocaching.com/faq/

Getting started with Geocaching geocaching.com/about

Now you have a rough Idea what Geochaching is I was thinking it would be a great idea to somehow get Geochaching going on ATS. Members of geocaching.com could simply search for others members on ATS in their area and spend some time outdoors together, I think it would be a great opportunity to meet new people and to spend some time outdoors, and what a fun way to do that. You can also do your part for the planet with “Cache In Trash Out”

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Geochaching Cache In Trash Out

Cache In Trash Out is an ongoing environmental initiative supported by the worldwide geocaching community. Since 2002, geocachers have been dedicated to cleaning up parks and other cache-friendly places around the world. Through these volunteer efforts, we help preserve the natural beauty of our outdoor resources!

Annually, we celebrate International Cache In Trash Out events where geocachers have an opportunity to participate in coordinated worldwide clean-up efforts. Geocachers host clean-up events in their local area on the same day or weekend as other geocachers around the world. Together, we make an enormous positive impact. Did we mention that we also have a bit of fun while we are at it?

The 7th Annual Cache In Trash Out Events are scheduled for May 2nd & 3rd, 2009.

Participating in CITO

CITO on every hunt

Cache In Trash Out doesn't just happen once a year. It can easily happen on every geocache adventure. Bring a trash bag along with you on your walks in the woods and pick up the occasional piece of trash you see on the trail. Even this small act can make a huge difference.

CITO as a large one-day or weekend event You can organize a larger undertaking and accomplish much more with the help of other people. Contact a land manager or local organization and work with them to determine the needs of the community. These can be scheduled any time of the year that works for your location. Always be sure to seek permission before cleaning up any areas that may be on private property.

So if you have any Ideas of how we could get this working with ATS and we get enough people interested maybe we can get the ball rolling. I can see so many benefits in doing this

• Keep yourself Fit
• Explore places you may not of seen in your area
• meet new people, members you get along with
• clear the stress of everyday life by spending some time in nature
• share you experience with other ATS, Geocaching members
• Do your part for the environment

So let me know what you think and post any Ideas you may have, it would be nice to hear a response from some forum moderators.

Many Thanks

IamNow

[edit on 4-3-2009 by IamNow]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I've been wanting to check this out for a while, so your post finally pushed me over the edge. I went to one that's about a mile away from my house, and found nothing. However, I'm not losing hope. I don't have a GPS unit, but I can plug coordinates into my phone, and see the point on a map, but just not tell where I am. It's easy where I am to use landmarks, and I'm sure I was within a 5 foot radius, but it was dark, and I didn't feel like digging. (it was an Altoids can I'm sure, the description said "curiously strong)

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Geocahing is a lot of fun. Sometimes it can be frustrating when you dont find what you are looking for. If you have children it's even more fun becsue to them it's like a real treasure hunt and alwasy filled with little surprises and gifts that are left behind.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
this looks like a cool game..
maybe some day I will take part of it

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Ive done geocaching with a few friends its good fun. Handy to have some kind of GPS or sat nav to make things a bit easier
i like the ones that have been hidden in dangerous areas hehe

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by photobug
Geocahing is a lot of fun. Sometimes it can be frustrating when you dont find what you are looking for. If you have children it's even more fun becsue to them it's like a real treasure hunt and alwasy filled with little surprises and gifts that are left behind.
When you don't find what you're looking for it makes the adventure that much more fun. I found some cool things geocaching. Fun hobby to get into, just make sure you get a good GPS.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Great fun esp and with kids as well as has been pointed out. We used a Tom Tom from the car in a forest but printed the map as well so took a little longer.

Watch out for the "muggles" though , you may look strange to the unconverted rooting about in the bushes. ;]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
How can you be sure of what you find inside these things? Is there anyone who monitors what is put in these caches?

I overheard a woman raving about how much fun it was to do with her children, yet all I could think was "Doesn't that mean ANYONE can throw something in there?". It seems potentially dangerous in my eyes.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
websites list the "treasure" you break the code to find more clues

The people who list the cache, check they are still there every few days / weeks.

Sometimes in life you got to have a little trust and so far I have not heard of any mini monsters leaping from a tupperware box to nibble fingers.

are you are thinking of bombs./ poo ? ..

It is not scary at all..
hmm

[edit on 14-6-2010 by BANANAMONTANA]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I absolutely LOVE Geocaching. We go almost everyday with our kids to find at least one, even if it's just a quick trip to find a micro just to say we got one that day. Yesterday we went and found 6. We use our Garmin and/or our etrex GPS. Both work great, each with their own temperment. And if we are going out to run an errand or out to eat, we always check to see if there is a cache in the area.

We also made up our own cache and hid it. The kids love hearing someone else found it and signed the log book. And here's the thing. I have two teenage boys ages 12 and 13. At this age, they spout off serious attitude and are typical teenagers. But when we say we are going out to geocache they are in the car before we are. And usually ask in the morning if we can go out again that day. This is great because, any other time, my teenager and preteen dislike going out and hanging out with mom and dad because it's not cool. But they think this is the coolest thing and have a competition going on who can find the most caches first and keep a rolling tally. My point is this is a GREAT and awesome family adventure that my kids adore. And my 9 year old daughter loves it as much as her brothers.

OP thanks for putting this out there to share with others.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by BANANAMONTANA

I get your meaning friend, however I live in the real world, and I think giving coordinates to an unwatched box out to the public is a terrible idea. Mini monsters? Try chemicals, syringes, or -gasp- drugs. Your trust for people is naive.

Have your fun but be careful. I can almost hear Diane Sawyer giving a breaking report about the "Potential dangers of Geocaching". You heard it here first, babe.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

i like the ones that have been hidden in dangerous areas hehe

You wouldn't had you landed in a stock pond upside down and drowned... like what happened in my area.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TeddiRevolution

]

have you checked out the websites..most people have posted on the forums on the cache... for eg..easy find / watch out for muggles in office opposite / careful of dog poo around rose bush etc...

most caches you can see inside ie it is a lunchbox size ..some are much smaller . that i could never find .. [me bad]

I will heed your warning ........and sorry in retrospect i did seem rude to you ..my apologies..

are you tempted to have one little search yet ;]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
THis sounds interesting. I might just get into this.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a guy I know went camping way up north and found one of those things in the middle of a forest...crazy they would just stumble upon something like that...they didn't bother it or anything but were just curious what the heck it was....now i can tell him...thanks guys

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
It would be a great thing to do if you had a lot of money to travel all over the world to find these things and the strange places people have hidden them...

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Thought id bring this thread back to life.

I went geocaching today with my kids, it was an absolute blast.

We found 10 all up including whats called a tracking bug, which we now have to move along to another location, so far its come from iowa USA to newcastle Australia, and a few places in between.

I encourage anyone to try it, I use an iphone and it works great and apparently there are over 1 million caches now worldwide.

Heaps of fun.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
cool cash in a small towns visitor center my wife and i found thevclues said to look for a 200 year old jail sure enough it was off the beaten path just below the visitors center! awsome cash learned about the history then my wife and explained geocaching to the sweet old ladys working the vc
cheap free fun anywhere for thous that like adventure!

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I do geocaching somewhat regularly when I go hiking. caches are bigger on trails usually. in civilization, most are micro size because its the easiest to hide. It is quite fun. never gone to a caching event though. if anyone knows, let us know here!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join