It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A dragon's blood cure for a cold and other bizarre remedies:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

A dragon's blood cure for a cold and other bizarre remedies:

w ww.dailymail.co.uk

A dragon's blood cure for a cold and other bizarre remedies: The 17th century medical guide discovered in an attic

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 11:42 AM on 04th March 2009

* Comments (2)
* Add to My Stories

A handwritten book containing bizarre 17th century medical remedies including pike bones and dragon's blood is to go under the hammer tomorrow after spending more than 100 years buried in an attic.

Written on fragile parchment bound between two pieces of thin card, the manuscript includes medical formulas as well as a variety of traditional recipes.

Outlandish natural ingredients include ragwort, nightshade, venis turpentine, ferne roots, hoggs grease and the bizarrely-named 'earbagrace', which is probably Ambergris, a substance produced in the digestive system of sperm whales.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Here is a weird one for those wanting a remedy at odds with modern medicine

look at this one (Grin)

The author also detailed a radical cure for 'The Paine of Piles' involving an onion and hot embers.

It reads; 'Take a great onion core it and fill it with b[utter] or oyle and roll it in embers until it is soft. Then binde it to the place

some of the cure in there sound worse than the illness

wonder what it will fetch on the open market?

and WTF is Earbagrace any reader out there know?

and I suppose getting whales sperm 200 years ago was not an easy feat

peace & health
SM

w ww.dailymail.co.uk

[edit on 4-3-2009 by smokingman2006]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by smokingman2006

and WTF is Earbagrace any reader out there know?

and I suppose getting whales sperm 200 years ago was not an easy feat

w ww.dailymail.co.uk

[edit on 4-3-2009 by smokingman2006]

HAHAHAHAHAHA, That was funny, Ambergris is an oily substance made from parts of the Sperm Whale, namely the digestive system and the spermicite gland in the head. It was widely used as a base for perfumes and for other cosmetics and was very highly valued. It is not made of sperm, as for dragons blood. I'll take a bottle if you can find it. And what ho, No LEECHES?!, No BloodLetting? I am truly let down by the oversight. Not even a good recipe for treppanation lube.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by smokingman2006

The author also detailed a radical cure for 'The Paine of Piles' involving an onion and hot embers. It reads; 'Take a great onion core it and fill it with b[utter] or oyle and roll it in embers until it is soft. Then binde it to the place

Dear god I'm wincing just reading that one, obviously the power of prayer didn't work for these poor people either.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman
reply to post by smokingman2006

The author also detailed a radical cure for 'The Paine of Piles' involving an onion and hot embers. It reads; 'Take a great onion core it and fill it with b[utter] or oyle and roll it in embers until it is soft. Then binde it to the place

Dear god I'm wincing just reading that one, obviously the power of prayer didn't work for these poor people either.

Haha... that's a great way of putting it. Well atleast it will be interesting to see all these crazy science experiments.

new topics

top topics

join