It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6th Mass Extinction In Progress - 2012 Coming True?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

Your mention reminded me:

"South side of Milky Way may protect us from cosmic rays and mass extinctions"

As the Earth’s solar system travels around the center of the Milky Way galaxy, it also wobbles up and down from the galaxy’s disc. U.S. scientists found that these swings take about 62 million years to complete—thus, may expose the Earth to higher doses of dangerous cosmic ray that may also cause mass extinctions. "

the Archives section should have some mention of that theory...
of course the 'warped phonograph record' analogy was probably
buried within a thread & has no standing on its own.

It's speculated that the outer 'membrane' of the MilkyWay Galaxy
has a concentration of 'Dark Matter' within its make-up...

as our solar system oscillates up-&-down in it's orbit around the Galactic Center... the high point of our oscillation bring us near the outer edge of the Galactic boundary... where other cosmic radiation and the theorized
invisible 'dark matter' is in concentrated abundance....
and might well be the cause of mysterious extinction events...

comets or meteors might also be dislodged from the faraway
OOrt cloud, & fall into the inner solar system

~OR~

another theory would be the Galactic Core itself is the cause,
consider the Solar System is calculated to take ~120-150MY to complete a Galactic orbit....
A 62-65MY recurring catastrophe could be explained as the Earth system
traveling headlong through a Galactic center Deadly-Jet of particles emmitted from the two 'poles' which cut through the galactic plane in opposite directions.
And when we 'orbit' through the 'Galactic Superwave',
we could live thru or die thru a series of calamaties resulting from that day or week-long interface

2 notches above the mundane , ...
almost 'divine' like, huh

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
The way things are going, i have a feeling some of us will welcome

the end on 2012.

My local book store is filled with end-of-the-world 2012 books

I hadnt realized the situation was so grave.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Mass extinction comes every 62 million years, UC physicists discover[/url]

With surprising and mysterious regularity, life on Earth has flourished and vanished in cycles of mass extinction every 62 million years,
dinosaurs and millions of other life forms went extinct about 65 million years ago.

Seven out of 10 biologists believe the world is now in the midst of the fastest mass extinction of living things in the 4.5 billion-year history of the planet, according to a poll conducted by the American Museum of Natural History and the Louis Harris survey research firm.

That makes it faster even than the crash which occurred when the dinosaurs died some 65 million years ago.

Remember the dinosaurs? Kings of the hill for 150 million years, then phttt, gone, poster animals of mass extinction. There have actually been five mass extinctions in the Earth's past — and we're well on our way to number six, says Peter Raven, an expert in plant conservation.

The world's species face an unprecedented crisis. The rate at which they are being lost is alarming, even when compared with the extinction episode of 70 million years ago when the dinosaurs disappeared. No-one knows exactly what the current extinction rate is, but recent calculations by leading scientists put it at between 1,000 and 10,000 times greater than it would naturally be.

Is everything seeming to slowly come together? Why is there a 65 million year extinction cycle? Why is this being kept so quiet? Is this a sign of 2012, and hard times ahead? What are the thoughts on all this?

ok...above I would argue that if there is a mass extinction every 62 to 70 million years, (some believe the earth is only about 7,000 years old +/-)

then, how could dinasaurs thrive for 150 million years?

they would have been extinct 2 or 3 times.

Also, given the approximations of this "theory", we could be extinct between tommorrow and anothe 8 or so million years.

I guess it could happen in 2012. If it's even 100 years later, I'm buying an old Rush album.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

ok...above I would argue that if there is a mass extinction every 62 to 70 million years, (some believe the earth is only about 7,000 years old +/-)

then, how could dinasaurs thrive for 150 million years?

they would have been extinct 2 or 3 times.

Also, given the approximations of this "theory", we could be extinct between tommorrow and anothe 8 or so million years.

I guess it could happen in 2012. If it's even 100 years later, I'm buying an old Rush album.

lol...who believes the Earth is only about 7000 years old?!? Also, mass extinctions occur on a 62 million year cycle, but I think it's probably not as catastrophic as some people may speculate, the dinosaurs survived the first 2 times, but the third time, they got bombarded with a number of devastating events. I think it was the comet that amplified the normal event which happens every 62 million years. I think it was probably as the Earth went through the galactic belt, it got hit with a comet, and then the crossover, which is what normally causes the 62 million year mass extinction, just topped it off, or maybe the Earth got hit with a comet at time with no relation to any of this, I'm sure a comet alone, if big enough, would be enough to cause the extinction of the dinosaurs.

When we look at the classic graph of extinctions, we are probably seeing times when other, more massive catastrophes have happened at the same time, and added to the effects, or at different times to the 62 million year catastrophe, so maybe these consistent 62 mass extinctions aren't as bad as we may have thought, but I wouldn't underestimate them either.

And when it comes to when the next mass extinction in this cycle will happen, the link between the movement of our solar system through our galaxy and these mass extinctions is pretty strong, and considering we move into the galactic belt in 2012, I would be ready for something.

[edit on 14/3/09 by CHA0S]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
MUST READ THIS POST!

I just found yet another website which explains the theory I have put forth here fairly well, but whilst doing so, I've also seemed to stumble across something else...

The first website (I attached a picture from this website so we can visualize what's going on):
Galactic Drift and Mass Extinction
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/654a45af9c3d.jpg[/atsimg]
Now when reading that article, I read the following:

With a 3-million year uncertainty in the calculations, that 64 million year cycle matches well enough with the 62 million year cycle of extinctions. The match resonates with Richard Muller, who says of the KU team: “They succeeded where I failed in coming up with a possible explanation for the effect that we observed.” And if they’re right, we have time to prepare for the next major event, since the Solar System has just passed the mid-plane of the galaxy. The next peak occurs in ten to twelve million years, assuming the KU theorists are onto something.

Then I read this in the same article:

The extinction event that cries out for explanation here is the most recent, the Cretaceous/Tertiary dinosaur extinction that dates back some 65 million years. It’s exceptional in this context because it occurred within two million years of the Solar System’s mid-plane galactic crossing.

This becomes the hot topic in the responses to this article. So I did some searching and found this article, dated May 6th, 2008:
www.universetoday.com...

And here's the bad news. According to their calculations, the Solar System will be passing through the galactic plane in the near future, and should see an increased risk of impact.

I think we may have yet another conspiracy on our hands...they come up with a working theory...and then they contradict the whole theory by saying we have 15 million years left when the last one was around 65 million years ago! According to their theory, we would have around 30 million years left if we just passed through the galactic belt.
From first article:

The Solar System moves up and down as it orbits the galactic core (see image at left). Mikhail Medvedev and Adrian Melott, taking that motion into account, factor in the motion of the Milky Way itself, hypothesizing that its leading, north side generates a shock wave that exposes the Earth to high-energy radiation every 64 million years or so. Here’s Melott on the matter:

“I did notice that not only did these time scales appear to be almost the same, but the drops in biodiversity coincide with the times when the sun is on the north side of the galactic disc. I already knew the north side of the galactic disc was the direction toward which the galaxy is falling.”

I have noticed these contradictions in every article concerning this theory. I have posted a few articles on this same theory so far...are they trying to hide the fact that we may be on the brink of a mass extinction? What is going on here?

[edit on 14/3/09 by CHA0S]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
I actually had it wrong to start with, I thought one half a cycle took 62 million years, so we would pass through the galactic belt every 62 million years, but I see now that it's the entire up down cycle. This actually makes things a whole lot worse, as it isn't the passing through the galactic belt that we should be worried about...

I actually think, that on one side of the galactic belt, there is something that makes it hard for life to survive...not quite sure what...scientists say that when we go through the galactic belt, there are large amounts of radiation coming from the "shock-waves" that come from the movement of our galaxy, just like the bow shock caused by our solar systems movement through the galaxy.

I know this is an oldish thread, but nowhere more apt for a bit of info I found.

Here is a NASA article on the subject that links these extinction events to the solar system travelling through the galactic plane:
www.giss.nasa.gov...

Astronomers have known for a long time that, in its revolution around the central mass of our galaxy, the Solar System performs such an up-and-down motion quite regularly, like a horse on a merry-go-round. Material lying mostly near the galactic plane tugs with its gravitational force on objects only loosely bound to the Solar System, like the distant comets that occupy a vast halo far beyond the orbit of Pluto. Many of these shaken comets then rain down in a shower toward the Sun, much as ripe apples drop from a tall tree during a windstorm. Our Earth intercepts some of the infalling comets. The biggest gravitational disturbances of the outer comet halo are believed to be made by close encounters with very massive objects, like the huge clouds of gas and dust that lie between the stars.

To predict the length of time between the Solar System's crossings of the galactic plane, astronomers have had to gauge the up-and-down motion statistically, using the numbers and the velocities of many sample stars distributed above and below the plane. The mathematical analysis then yields as a final result both the period of the up-and-down motion and the space density of matter in the flat galactic disk. In the same way that a pendulum swings much faster on Earth than in a low-gravity environment, such as an Earth-orbiting spacecraft, the surprisingly large space density found in the galactic disk gives the Solar System an unexpectedly short up-and-down period of 30 to 35 million years. This new measurement agrees uncannily well with the known impact cratering period on Earth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join