It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists make HIV strain that can infect monkeys

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Scientists make HIV strain that can infect monkeys

www.reuters.com

Scientists have created a strain of the human AIDS virus able to infect and multiply in monkeys in a step toward testing future vaccines in monkeys before trying them in people, according to a new study.

This strain of HIV, the human immunodeficiency virus, was developed by altering a single gene in the human version to allow it to infect a type of monkey called a pig-tailed macaque, the researchers said on Monday.

The genetically engineered virus, once injected into this monkey, proliferates almost as much as it does in people, but the animal ultimately suppresses it and the virus does not make it sick, they said.

The strain is called simian-tropic HIV-1, or stHIV-1.

Researchers hope to be able to test possible new AIDS drugs and vaccines in monkeys before trying them in people.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
many here would argue that the HIV was created by man in a laboratory, and that this is a case of spreading it to other species under the guise of research.

This virus intended to infect the monkeys does not make them sick and they are able to suppress the virus, meaning it does not lead to the simian version of AIDS, which could be a vital breakthrough in treating humans infected with the virus.

Could this be a breakthrough in the treatment of the disease, or is this a case of science playing fast and loose with a very dangerous virus?

One small mistake COULD make this virus more virulent and even more dangerous to humans...

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
And there i was hinking that making Bio weapons was outlawd....... looks like its a case of do as i say not as i do again.

DNA splicing vriuses is 1 step in the chain for weaponising the virus - which is what the USA is doing.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Why not just breed a bunch of killer bees in a lab and then let them escape? Oh wait...

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   
ahhh

Killing us off wasn't good enough!

They are going to get the Damn Monkeys too and make sure we never evolve again as well

Nice!

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Wait a moment...

The virus just leaped from monkeys to humans? Without DNA engineering? And now it was engineered to go back to monkeys?

And it doesn't infect the monkeys at all?

You know this is kinda fishy. I know the rumour about the HIV being a CIA creation came from the KGB, but... Actually it would seem like it was engineered to go from monkeys to humans in the first place?

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Genetic engineering will make it ridiculously easy to create new bioweapons. And it will be completely impossible to control the technology needed for genetic engineering in the future.

So expect that most of us will have GM retroviruses like HIV in the future. Then we all have to eat a nice mixture of 100 different antiretrovirals every day. Just to stay alive.

I know this is a bit bleak, but I imagine genetically engineered viruses would be extremely common very soon. And retroviruses are more efficient since they have time to spread from one host to another before the host dies. This is why we are so afraid of HIV instead of some other virus.

Today it seems like HIV is not deadly anymore... But will the history repeat itself again, with new retroviruses appearing from various labs? And then it takes 20 years before you can stop the virus... With millions of people dead in the meanwhile, before medications have been developed.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I'm not too worried about this. SIV is what mutated to become HIV. What they are doing is giving a monkey HIV. It's like giving human cancer to rats. As far as a bio weapon, there are much better viruses to use. HIV, even "'roided up" would years to kill. Plus bio weapons make no sense on the battlefield in that fashion. Why completely decimate a land that you can't take the resources from?

Even if, EVEN IF, they were able to weaponize HIV, they would either have to have a cure for it as well, or it would have to dissipate very quickly in order for anyone to move in and set up shop.

I mean, it couldn't be like mustard gas. You couldn't use it to gas an area, kill everyone around and move in in like an hour. Plus, you wouldn't want that crap floating back to your people 5 miles away.

Chewbacca is a wookie, who lives on Endor. It just doesn't make sense.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

This doesn't help their case in regards to the creation of HIV.

Sure sure it could have jumped from monkeys, but the virus itself is just too special. Plus if I remember correctly there is some evidence to suggest that it was lab created over naturally created. Something about the viral structure. I don't remember.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
One more time, with feeling.

The first documented HIV case occurred in 1959, in Africa. There are conflicting reports of earlier cases.

Even the evil United States empire didn't have gene manipulation technology that far back.

A study published in 2008, analyzing viral sequences identified a common ancestor somewhere between 1884 and 1924 as the introduction date for us humans, and it remained a relatively local disease until much later in the century.

Moral of the story - monkeys carry nasty transgenic diseases, if you chop them up and eat them, sooner or later you'll catch something nasty. Ebola is just another example.

But of course it's more fun to say that the US invented this in a secret lab deep in the Panama jungle sometime in the 1970s and deliberately infected people with it

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
The first documented HIV case occurred in 1959, in Africa. There are conflicting reports of earlier cases.

Yes, but who has seen it? Is it a hoax? Or maybe it is swamp gas.

I just mean why not be a sceptic here. I have not seen this 1959 case and I have not seen any evidence for it. So I will remain a sceptic.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Etsivä Romppainen
Yes, but who has seen it? Is it a hoax? Or maybe it is swamp gas.

I just mean why not be a sceptic here. I have not seen this 1959 case and I have not seen any evidence for it. So I will remain a sceptic.

Then now is your opportunity to look at some scientific evidence and not random hoax theory:

www.nature.com...

new topics

top topics

join