It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

90% Solution

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
In the great plan , 90% of you guys are dead (not my plan). On the weekend , like a good hubby I took the wife to a grocery store , dropped her off, and went to wait in the parking lot. As I waited near the far end of the store I did a quick count of the lot. 300 cars. roughly 30 in a row 10 rows. Unloading at the back was 2 trailers with 1 waiting . When TSHTF , roads will close , trucks will stop. The shelves will empty fast (prob with violence) , most families will last 2 weeks or so, right down to the last creamed corn. Then what? The cities will turn into Tombstone of old. With 5% of the population living in "rural areas" you can see where the depletion will happen. When its time to Bug Out, do it quick, get rural fast. Hunger, Disease , Lawlessness. The cities will be cesspools. (just a scenario, not a pretty 1 )

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Thats why i'm glad i grew up on a farm and learned to hunt and live off the land. And also why i live in a town with only about 2000 people.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
With so many civilian-sheep just waiting to be 'taken', i'd hand fire on diving into food-caches at such an event, and go hunting for fresh meat instead.

Longpig steaks with wild-mushroom risotto anyone?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by branty

Missed one thing. After the shelves clear, rioting, etc... and your complete chaos, there are going to be a whole lot of dead around you. Nothing better than rotting flesh to bring in diesese, taint your water supply, bring in the bugs that like to carry diesese. All sorts of fun.

Ive said it before, and Ill continue to say it. Get the hell out of the cities now.

Change your life and your habbits. Should nothing happen, you will still be happier you did, and if something does happen, you will be much much better off.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by branty

Word.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
With so many civilian-sheep just waiting to be 'taken', i'd hand fire on diving into food-caches at such an event, and go hunting for fresh meat instead.

Longpig steaks with wild-mushroom risotto anyone?

Where are you going to find the risotto?

Oh, and the Chianti? *thlur, thlur, thlur*

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
The heaving masses of desperate sheeple should not impact on the survivalist as he / she already is maintaining a full stocked cache and stockpile of supplies.

Same with fuel, as the hoards of gas powered gas fight for the few remaining gallons at the gas station, not only has the survivalist got plenty set aside but his vehicles are powered by safer and more effecient diesel engines. So at a push he can syphon from Trucks, Locomotives, Tractors, Combines, Plant equipment, farm supplies, military stores and boat yards.

PPPPPPP

Proper Planning & Preparation Prevent Piss Poor Perfomance.
IE if you are ready you do get caught out.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I am also glad, that my parents are living out away from major towns. Their community is about 30 people. However I, am stuck in this city at this University (which I won't compromise by leaving now) - in the event that the world goes to hell, I hope I have enough time to get out of here.

Or maybe I'll get lucky, and it'll happen when I'm home in the boonies for Summer break...

- Carrot

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Most families will last 2 weeks or so, right down to the last creamed corn. Then what?
Rabbit stew with mixed bush vegetables?

Possum bisque?
Fillet of rat?
How about some Grilled salmon?
Its free in the sea you know

[edit on 4-3-2009 by CaptainCaveMan]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal
Where are you going to find the risotto?

Oh, and the Chianti? *thlur, thlur, thlur*

The risotto was just an afterthought, but I'm sure I could rustle something up in the Le Creuset mess tins...an Aduki/Flageolet/Borlotti bean salad with crushed garlic and coarse black pepper instead perhaps?

And as for the Chianti, I'd prefer a robust Rioja...I may plan on going cannibal, but we must have some culinary standards. City cattle, particularly, the 'office bred' variety would be as tender as veal, but I suspect rather a fatty cut of meat, so would need to adapt the reciepe a little.

Of course, only a decent specimen of an animal should be taken...and preferably one that would pose as a competitor for resources too

Must dash Nirg, I'm having a friend for lunch...ta-ta

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
If you have plenty of food supplies squirreled away and the food logistics chains fail leaving 90% of the populace to starve there's a very real threat.

If you appear healthy, well-fed or at least better fed than the masses, then that will arouse suspicion that you have vital supplies to hand and marking you for looting/lynching

It may be advisable to pack a few theatrical makeup bits in the BoB to feign the appearance of hunger pallour, malnutrition, and disease

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

If you appear healthy, well-fed or at least better fed than the masses, then that will arouse suspicion that you have vital supplies to hand and marking you for looting/lynching

Good point , it would be a good idea to pre-make some signs that read " starving need food please." and put them in the front of your lawn.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I live outside of Omaha in the country. If the Shtf im bugging in. I have enough food for several months,longer if i ration. I live next to a lake so i can get all the fresh water i need. Im right on the water table so i can always dig my own well.
I recently aquired 30 sheets of plywood which will come in handy if i have to secure my windows and doors. Its also a good idea to keep a stock of industrial hand tools. Dont plan on having electricity. I have a portable wood burning stove i can set up at any time that will heat my house enough for us to survive the winter. I have 2 huge gardens in my back yard and can grow enough food for my family of 3 with little effort.
I have several tarps in my garage i can set up to collect rain water. I also have a couple huge barrals for water storage but i keep them empty. Its amazing how fast they fill up with when it rains.
I have all the medical supplies i need and enough ammo to defend my whole neighborhood.
When the show starts im Bugging In

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkice19
I live outside of Omaha in the country. If the Shtf im bugging in. I have enough food for several months,longer if i ration. I live next to a lake so i can get all the fresh water i need. Im right on the water table so i can always dig my own well.
I recently aquired 30 sheets of plywood which will come in handy if i have to secure my windows and doors. Its also a good idea to keep a stock of industrial hand tools. Dont plan on having electricity. I have a portable wood burning stove i can set up at any time that will heat my house enough for us to survive the winter. I have 2 huge gardens in my back yard and can grow enough food for my family of 3 with little effort.
I have several tarps in my garage i can set up to collect rain water. I also have a couple huge barrals for water storage but i keep them empty. Its amazing how fast they fill up with when it rains.
I have all the medical supplies i need and enough ammo to defend my whole neighborhood.
When the show starts im Bugging In
I wish I was as prepared , i got water stored.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican
reply to post by citizen smith

Good point , it would be a good idea to pre-make some signs that read " starving need food please." and put them in the front of your lawn.

Not sure why but that reminds me of the Plague Villages from many moons past.

Whole villages were quarantined and any supplies were dropped at the boundary to minimise the infection spread. This idea could be *coughs(H5N1)* adapted.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Thats why I'm glad I live in a pretty small rural agricultural community that is pretty self sustaining, at least food wise.
I really worry about my brother, sisters and mother who all live in cities! I cannot get them to move here. My brother might. At least two of them live less than three hours away by car during normal conditions. The things is, if/when TSHTF, would they still be able to get here? I would be tempted to go get them and that would suck. Kind of defeats all my prep plans, ya know.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
How does anyone know that all of this isn't just some fear-scheme to induce consumerism? You're filling the coffers of those you may end up fighting. support local business and avoid Monopolies such as Wal-Mart. My town has withered to where the whole population is dependent on only four (4) major sources of Income. and it costs money to move away and to pay for bills and rent, yet your jobs barely gets you through. Actually thinking about it, what jobs have been hit the worst in the "recession"? The only jobs I see on the MSM is auto workers, computer companies. The banking company Citigroup has had the most layoffs than any other company. the unemployment rating is at 7.2%...so all this recession talk and woes of mis-fortune and refrences to The Great Depression is only from a little over a twentith of the Whole US Population being unemployed? The USA was THAT dependant on so few?

this makes little to noo sense. but, then again, I'm only a peasant.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I believe it is some fear scheme.
Many of the people promoting it sell the stuff, or have shares in company's who sell it.
I remember one guy once telling me how important it is to buy $15000 worth of food rations, was selling it on his website.
The fact remains that there is clearly enough food on this planet for everyone.
You want vegetables?Seaweed

Lobster crab deer duck etc etc
Its all free.
We will find food, clearly we always have.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
yeah, but do you know how to hunt and fish, muchless how to preserve and ration food and water? i haven't the faintest.

We are a capitalist nation...we know fear and sex sells and grabs attention. (it's the only topic in MSM) I believe that it's a possibility that the US govt is adding hype to a subject. in michael moore's film "bowling for columbine", he talks about how the fear propoganda for Y2k sent sales soaring. All the talk of crime and gangs and rape in MSM led to massive gun sales. now theres talk of bullets being low in stock and the not-too-far-away ban on weapons to be a signal to go out and buy, buy, buy!

people are weird.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Some time ago, we kind of adjusted our lifestyle, to one that has a better chance of survival should the bad times occur.

But, we also have managed to save lots of money by this adjustment to our lifestyle.

First, we buy in bulk when things are on sale. Pasta 10 for $10 at Safeway, we'll get 20.

Soup, $1 per can, time to buy a couple cases of what I like. Same with our usual consumables. When it's on sale, it's time to stock up.

Tarps, it getting close to spring time and you're going to find tarps on sale. You have to make way for the spring merchandise.

Almost everything goes on sale. Then it's time to buy.

We also are fortunate to live in the country. We garden from time to time but this year I'm going big with the gardening. If the s doesn't hit the fan, I'll be giving corn and tomatoes away to all my friends and of course, feeding my chickens with what I can't eat.

We've also planted more fruit and nut trees. We have quite a few already but there's always room for a few more. Plus some trees don't have as long a lifespan as we do and they're getting replaced. Once again, if life continues as normal, I'll give a lot of cherries, peaches, apricots and nectarines away or feed them to the chickens. I'm also taking up canning once again after a long absence. My cupboards will be full. In the end it just keeps costing me less and less to live.

So, what do I plan on doing if the SHTF? Hopefully there will be some warning signs (more sever than right now). Then, I'll be making the big costco run. Costco is a big box store. I'll be getting pet food, rice, beans, coffee, dried fruit and flour in bulk. If I'm really concerned, I'll be getting cases of canned goods so my hallway looks like a small isle in a big box store. I'll make sure that all my gas cans are topped off, my freezer is full and check out a bunch of books from the library. I do have a generator. If I power it on for about 1/2 hour per day, I can run my freezer for a few months with the power is out.

I've got firewood for a couple of normal years and could probably stretch that to about 4 years if I just lived in my family room .

Everyone should supply themselves with a few weeks of food. Anyone can have an emergeny and need to last for a week or so.

My brother lives near a big city that had an earthquake. He shops on a daily basis. When he wants dinner, he goes to the store. So, after the quake, he had to live on cereal for a couple of days before the supermarkets got their power back up. To me,he is the epitome of someone who won't be able to survive a SitX and the antithesis of how I live.

Personally, I hope that nothing like this will come to pass. If it does, then the hoards will be coming out to the country and trying to buy or steal from me. If you want to buy from me, bring your gold, silver or jewels because it won't be cheap. If you're planning to steal, don't come to the country. Everyone has guns and can shoot better than most city folk.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join