It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have noticed something missing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Once shelter, food and water supplies are established and secure. The day’s work is complete and you find yourself not quite ready for sleep how will you pass your time? One thing that makes us human is our need for entertainment and outlet for creativity. Music is but one of the ways to accomplish this need.

Obviously your Les Paul or Fender Strat is excess baggage and low on the to take list but
I know that some will throw a harmonica in their BOB or shirt pocket if they can justify it, have the ability to do so or just happen to think to do so. But what of those that had not taken that consideration.

Whittling has been a pastime that is by many considered to have become a lost art. Advanced whittlers have made intricate chains of carved and smooth wood, a ball in the cage and other diverse creations. But another thing whittling has produced is instruments. Penny whistles out of willow, flutes and even the obligatory harmonica by shaping the reeds before assembly.

Percussion can go far beyond a simple skin stretched over a hollowed shell. The rigging can be made adjustable to produce a set of primitive timpani of tonal drums. Hollow sticks can be adjusted and arranged to form a crude xylophone. Or you could make a real one by carving lengths of hardwood.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
What a great reminder.
I'm a musician - with both electric and acoustic instruments -
but I never even thought of a harmonica - or flute or something BOB worthy.
Great idea on making our own -
This is more important than many of us realize.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Thats the soul reason for packing the Missus

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
what? we wont still be here on ats? i saw w news link that said the fema camps have internet....

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by branty
Thats the soul reason for packing the Missus

: )
She might get a little tired of being the sole entertainment during -
what looks like might be -
a long transformation.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
It really depends on how often you move about. If your shifting location every day or two id say your days would be filled with plenty of camp craft, or tool making activities (but hey, who says you cant enjoy that).

longer stays will, inevitably, lead to boredom. I think it would be a good chance for you armchair survivalists to read that survival book once more, and to perhaps attempt some of the things in it for a change.

but there is always fishing

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
As a sailor, I find the art of knots, bends and hitches to be very soothing and a great way to pass time.

Buy a good knot book and several hundred feet of 550 cord (paracord) and have at it. Learn the lanyard knot and you will be attaching paracord lanyards to everything and everyone.
You can also use the cord to wrap knife and tool handles.

Everyone should have 550 cord in their BOB. Learn how to use it! and have fun with it. I have been practicing and now I am hooked on knots that are above and beyond the norm.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Because I have a pre-set location to bug out to, my situation is different than most. I have board games, chess sets, cards, books, etc... all set up.

However, for those on the move, toss a harmonica in your bag, cards are lightweight and you can find piles of little travel games that dont weigh a whole lot. Simple, but can break the routine and give the day a little enjoyment at the end.

Also, an idea. Keep something like beads with you. Doesnt sound very survivalish, but a good easy way to keep your mind going. Either by making simple jewlery or altering how an item you use often looks. Think american indian tribes and how their guns, pouches, etc... looked.

Not everything you do should be on the premise of survival, your mind will need a break, no matter how small and mundane, will lift your spirits.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Exactly, diversion is a strong key point that I was making. Music, whittling and creating instruments was but just one angle that I thought of as having some universal ties.

Knots are another good example. Exploring beyond the basics can give you knowledge in various forms of rope use such as how to make a sliding stirrup that is immobile while under tension and slides freely when no weight is applied. An easy to climb rope ladder can be made this way and then disassembled afterwards.

Companionship is indeed handy but we all do need interests of our own sometimes.

But back to music for a second thought. It is a viable skill that can be used for barter. Think of the musicians today that make millions from what some may disparage as a useful and marketable skill. Then think of it in a situation devoid of radios and mp3 players.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Paper and ink/paint making skills would also be invaluable to write 'tribal sagas' and create paintings (as well as produce maps and sketches to convey information)

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Hey I'm ready I have a Tactical assault Fender Telecaster

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I'm a writer, so I could justify packing a few blank books and some pencils. I would NEED something to write in. I would also bring my flute as I am a musician as well; and the flute is a little bit more portable then my Piano...

I would take a Harmonica as well (not that I can play, because I can't worth #). We used to have these little mind-teaser games when I was younger (my dad is huge on exercising the brain) that used to entertain me on long car rides. They fit in a pocket, and can keep you entertained for a while.

Playing Cards, as suggested, I hadn't even thought of....

- Carrot

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
when it comes down, I'll have my few empty bottles of rum and some various sized glass and plastic bottles from random soda vendors to blow across. and if I need to fill them with liquid to tune them... well that's better left to the imagination when thinking about where that substance may come from....
and I really like these solar battery chargers too- they should keep my laptop and microkorg ready for a performance about once a week.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
when it comes down, I'll have my few empty bottles of rum and some various sized glass and plastic bottles from random soda vendors to blow across. and if I need to fill them with liquid to tune them... well that's better left to the imagination when thinking about where that substance may come from....
and I really like these solar battery chargers too- they should keep my laptop and microkorg ready for a performance about once a week.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
when it comes down, I'll have my few empty bottles of rum and soda of various sizes, obviously filled with varying amounts of an unnamed liquid for tuning purposes...
... and I really like the solar battery chargers too- they should get my laptop and microkorg ready for an hour or so performance about once a week.

[edit on 3/4/2009 by abecedarian]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
Paper and ink/paint making skills would also be invaluable to write 'tribal sagas' and create paintings (as well as produce maps and sketches to convey information)
that brings another good point, a way to let all who survive know what happened and how we made it. if the cavemen ( not trying to start a debate here ) did it im sure we can too.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I'm a harmonicist so I have a bandoleer of harmonicas in different keys that I keep nearby in case of spontanious blues jam sessions (where I live the can pop up anywhere).

I always have a Hohner "C" Harp (Harmonica) in my BoB (the $5 ones that you can find at music stores, or of all places Cracker Barrel are the absolute best camping harmonicas).

Another thing that I am trying to keep in my BoB is dice and a Fantasy Role Playing game (like Dungeons and Dragons or the like), this gives not only me, but others entertainment, builds teams, and helps with tactics even (in a rudimentarty sense). And above all else, if it was a dire situation, gives people some time away from the possible harsh reality that surrounds them. The rule book, paper, pencils and dice add about 2-3lbs to my bag, so its not too bad.

Might not be everyones cup of tea, but I spent many sleepless saturdays in my teens playing games like that.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DropInABucket
Another thing that I am trying to keep in my BoB is dice and a Fantasy Role Playing game (like Dungeons and Dragons or the like), this gives not only me, but others entertainment, builds teams, and helps with tactics even (in a rudimentarty sense)

I second that, I've spent many good hours with flatmates playing D&D and is amazing just how people's real thought processes, drives, and personality become part of their D&D character. and it definately builds creative thinking and group-tactic skills

...you get a star if you can guess what character-class I used to play

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Whittler here. Anyone still around?

*bump*

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Wow a nine year old thread. And yet still a good topic of discussion. Being able to entertain yourself with meaningful distractions (hobbies) is an important skill even when things haven’t gone sideways.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join