It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tried uninstalling norton and now my internet wont work

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
sorry i cannot provide you with the exact norton internet security version that i have. but it came with my hp quad core pc that i bought in april of 2008.

anyway, i was sick and tired of seeing the reminder to upgrade or renew my norton security so i jumped into the add or remove programs part of my computer and attempted to uninstall. when that was complete my computer just didnt seem normal. i tried to shut down but this to seemed unresponsive. so i did a hard disconnect. then when i rebooted the computer it showed that i had no internet connection, its as if my computer no longer recognized my modem (connected via ethernet)

i tried a system restore and this didnt work at all. infact, i couldnt even open up my norton program. when i go back into add or remove programs it says there is an error with norton and it blocks me from removing.

ive since downloaded the norton removal tool from their website and will attempt to run that when i get home.

some body please tell me that when i totally remove norton that my internet will simply browse again.
i had a comcast technician out this morning and its NOT my internet connection.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Try doing a winsock reset.

In Windows XP:

Start Button - Click "Run" - Type "cmd" - Click "OK"

In the command window type " netsh winsock reset "

Press "Enter"

Close the command window and Restart your computer.

Let us know how you make out.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
There are several possibilities.

1)You need the Norton Removal Tool:
service1.symantec.com...

2)Print this page
We suggest that you print this page before you start. PRINT

STEP 2
Save your Product Key
Note If you downloaded your product from your Internet Service Provider (ISP), then skip these steps, and contact your ISP to get the latest version of your product.
If you have a product CD, or you downloaded your product from Symantec, you can locate the Product Key on the back of the CD sleeve, or in the confirmation email that you received from Symantec for your download purchase. Once you write down the Product Key, go to
STEP 3.

1 Start your Norton product.
2 On the top right corner of the main product window, click Norton Account.
3 Type in your email address and password for your Norton Account, then click Next. Note If you do not have a Norton Account set up already, click Create a Norton Account, complete the form, then click Next.
4 Click Next to continue to your Norton Account.
5 Sign into your Norton Account using your email address and password.
6 Click the Norton product that you want to update.
7 Write down the Product Key.
8 Sign out of your Norton Account, then continue with STEP 3 below.

STEP 3
Download and run BUdump.exe
Note Budump.exe backs up your Norton 360 Secure Online Storage backup settings, and restores it when you reinstall Norton 360. Budump.exe runs quickly and silently. If you do not back up your files to Secure Online Storage, then skip to Step 4.
1 Click the button to download BUdump.exe. DOWNLOAD
2 Click Save.
Save the file onto your Windows desktop.
3 On the desktop, double-click the BUdump.exe file.
4 Click Run.

STEP 4
Download and run Norton Removal Tool

You may also try doing a local search for norton/symantec in harddrive/registry.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I truely appreciate your reply's and YES the norton removal tool cleared it all up..

thanks again.

mods can close this thread if need be.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Yeah, beat me to it.

Many firewalls don't release control over aspects of your system when uninstalled. Some leave small portions of code behind, or additions to windows files, that cripple the functionality of your system if the main program isn't present.

... it's annoying, used to have to deal with that back when I did tech support for time warner.

Good job recommending the norton removal tool.

It really ought to be incorporated into the uninstall program though.

Glad to hear your running again.

[edit on 6-3-2009 by johnsky]

top topics

join