It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bethune/Gander UFO Incident, Feb.10,1951 Newfoundland, Canada ( 300 ft. Diameter UFO Spotted ! )

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
One of the Best UFO story's of all time is the Bethune/Gander incident of February 10, 1951 and this case involved credible qualified observers that were U.S. Navy personel Flying in a C-54 Aircraft at 10,000 ft. that observed an unidentified object over the Atlantic Ocean, near Newfoundland Canada for about 8 minutes.

Flight crew members said an orange rimmed with dark center UFO was approximately 300 ft. in diameter and was first spotted hovering over the water. As their plane approached and got closer to the object the UFO must have been startled by the unexpected visitors and began to change colors and grow in size and made an advancement towards their position.

The giant UFO shot up towards them and the startled crew members banged their heads during an effort to try and duck for cover. the object then paced the Airplane and positioned itself about a hundred feet below and about 2 hundred feet ahead. after a short peroid the UFO reversed direction at a very sharp angle and disappeared over the horizon.

Although there is no picture of the object, there was enough witness testimony along with the object being tracked on DEW line ground radar at the base in Goose Bay, Labrador to validate the sighting. crew members upon landing were interrogated by Air Force intelligence officers and later interrogated by Naval intelligence. the entire crew was instructed to fill out reports about the incident. this event was registered in the project blue book records and the project card lists this sighting as an Aurora display !

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2769bed74428.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e21443a7ad1b.png[/atsimg]

Gandor Case Synopsis - February 10, 1951, Off Newfoundland, Canada

On February 10, a US Navy flight, Atlantic/Continental Air Transport Squadron one, located at USN Air Station, Patuxent River, Maryland, was out of Keflavik, Iceland at 49-50 degrees north latitude and 50-03 degrees west longitude about 150 kilometers [90 miles] west of Gander, Newfoundland out over the Atlantic Ocean. The aircraft was probably bound for Gander to refuel judging by its position and course of 230 degrees true, though the report does not mention this. US Naval Reserve Lieutenant Graham Bethune, copilot of Flight 125, was occupying the captain¹s seat on the left side of the cockpit in the passenger plane when he first sighted a huge object [at least] 300 feet in diameter on a near collision course with their aircraft.

The copilot stated in his official report, "...I observed a glow of light below the horizon about 1,000 to 1,500 feet [330-470 meters] above the water. We both [the pilot as well] observed its course and motion for about 4 or 5 minutes before calling it to the attention of the other crew members. ...Suddenly its angle of attack changed. Its altitude and size increased as though its speed was in excess of 1,000 miles [1,670 kilometers] per hour. It closed in so fast that the first feeling was we would collide in mid air. At this time its angle changed and the color changed. It then [appeared] definitely circular and reddish orange on its perimeter. It reversed its course and tripled its speed until it was last seen disappearing over the horizon."

The copilot¹s report goes on to say that the object came within five miles of their aircraft which was borne out by radar evidence of the encounter because the object had been tracked by DEW Line Ground Radar at the base in Goose Bay, Labrador.

Years later Bethune was able to retrieve the reports from the National Archives and confirmed that the UFO they encountered that night had traveled 10,000 feet straight up in a fraction of a second and was tracked on radar at 1,800 miles per hour, well exceeding the 500 miles-per-hour capacity of the most advanced man-made craft at that time.

Bethune noted that his onboard magnetic compasses were spinning wildly while the mystery craft was nearby.

We had 31 people on board and a psychiatrist ­ we all witnessed it," he said, before adding to raucous applause: "I will testify under oath before Congress that everything I have said is true.

Weather clear, visibility from 15 miles to unlimited, no other weather information available. No unusual meteorological activity known to exist and having any in-fluence on the sighting. This object could not have been a comet as the object was below and between the aircraft and ocean.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9ee2ab802e3a.png[/atsimg]

www.nicap.org...
www.nicap.org...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ed56f89b3cce.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/13738a849b56.gif[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d0c7fc71eefb.gif[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9a9d12e092ff.gif[/atsimg]

US Naval Reserve Lieutenant Graham Bethune

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cc980eadc4ab.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5e46bd6068ab.jpg[/atsimg]

www.ufologie.net...
www.nicap.org...
www.ufologie.net...
www.ufologie.net...
www.ufologie.net...

www.nationalufocenter.com...
www.bibliotecapleyades.net...
www.ufocasebook.com...
www.ufoevidence.org...
www.topsecrettestimony.com...

Pdf Files
www.nicap.org...
www.nicap.org...
www.nicap.org...

Mr. Bethunes testimony at the Disclosure Project Conference...

my conclusion:

Graham Bethune and the other Crew members were qualified observers and of sound mind. i don't believe these people would have mistaken this ufo for a weather or atmospheric anomaly. they witnessed a real ufo and this particular incident is just one of the many sightings that were taking place in that area. other related ufo investigations in the same area and the interest and concern shown by the intelligence community proves this was a real event.

what do you think happened on February 10th ,1951 off the coast of Newfoundland Canada ?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Just like they said, aurora lights. They can be tracked by ground radar. Oh wait, no they can't. Nevermind.

Pardon the obvious sarcasm, nice job putting the facts togeather. I enjoy reading a great post such as this one pointing out more evidence that maybe we don't know quite everything just yet. I see no harm in admitting that. If I ever come accross someone who claims to know "everything there is to know" about anything, I stay as far from that idiot as I can. I am more like Shultz. I know nothing!

again, great job.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by Mason mike]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
The visual sighting report is interesting but the alleged corroborating radar report is a bit on the sketchy side:

But my boss found the report in the Archives in Wright Patterson in Project Blue Book after talking to Colonel Watson, and he confirmed the speed of 1,800 miles. I said where did you find that out? He said, well, it was a radar report and it said that. So something happened to the radar report before they microfilmed it. Because what I have on microfilm I got from the Archives (and the radar report is missing). I was told by a friend of mine at Wright Patterson AFB that I’ve known for years that they had allowed Steven Spielberg microfilm this, the Blue Book records or whatever for Close Encounters of the Third Kind. So he (Spielberg) had a pretty high clearance. He had to be associated with some of the … well, you know who, as far as the control group is concerned.

www.topsecrettestimony.com...

All lot more of the "somebody told me" stuff from Commander Bethune in there.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Mason mike

lol...thanks Mason mike , you had me fooled for just a sec.

glad to see you liked the thread and also it's good your optimystic and willing to admit you and i don't know all the answers. that's the best way to approach this subject so your on the right path imo.

i also agree with you on avoiding someone that claims they know everything especially when it comes to ufo's. i have had a close encounter myself but i am willing to admit i don't know what really happened and i swear i'm telling the truth and also prepared to testify in front of congress

thanks again and in case you didn't see this here is some of the other reports

www.ufologie.net...
www.waterufo.net...

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

nope not on the " sketchy " side at all

Cmmdr. Bethune had no reason to lie. period.

the radar report will not be made public because it is classified material so i guess i will just have to take his word on it. also nicap is reporting that it was tracked on radar so it's not just him saying it.

We had 31 people on board and a psychiatrist ­ we all witnessed it," he said, before adding to raucous applause: "I will testify under oath before Congress that everything I have said is true.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

I didn't say he lied. He never saw the report. It's just more hearsay, second hand information. You can't testify to hearsay.

Is nicap allowed access to supposedly classified information? Where did they get the report from?

Spielberg has a security clearance and was allowed to see it? More hearsay.

[edit on 3/3/2009 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

how do you know he never seen the report ? how can you prove that ?

maybe he did see it ? maybe the hearsay is a cover story ? and who said he was going to testify about the radar report ?

and Speilberg probably didn't see it so what's your point ?

this case is based mostly on the witness testimony, do you have anything at all to add to that ?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

He says he didn't see the report. Are you saying he's lying about that? That he actually did see it?

I agree Spielberg probably didn't see the radar report either. So Bethune is reciting more hearsay which has no more evidence than the hearsay about the radar report. Hearsay which you too believe is false.

I said the visual report is interesting. My point is that the alleged radar report cannot be accepted as evidence because it is nothing but hearsay. "Somebody told me they saw it."

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hearsay which you too believe is false.

how did you arrive at that conclusion ?

so the radar story is a little questionable for some people big deal.

other than that do you like it ?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by easynow

how did you arrive at that conclusion ?

The reference was to Bethune's statement about Spielberg. You said this.

and Speilberg probably didn't see it so what's your point ?

For the third time. I find the story interesting.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   

perhaps Mr. Bethune got tired of the hearsay also and maybe this report he is waving in this video has the Radar data ? maybe

since Nicap and Mr. Bethune are saying the object was tracked on radar i am going to believe that it was.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

You go ahead and believe what you want to believe. Even though Bethune himself says that he did not see the radar report.

Even though nicap does not provide the radar report with all the other items they do provide.

You need to separate the wheat from the chaff at some point.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

the man is credible in my opinion and Nicap is reporting it also, so it's believable to me.

if you don't want to believe it that 's fine

you have stated your opinion so no need for it any more thanks

more great testimony

"About 300 miles outside of Argentia, Newfoundland, I saw a glow on the water. As we approached this glow, it turned into hundreds of circles of white lights on the water. We watched it for a while; when the lights went out, there was nothing on the water. The next thing that we saw was a yellow halo that was very small, about 15 miles away. It came up to 10,000 feet in a fraction of a second. I disengaged the autopilot and pushed the nose over, because I was going to go under it at the angle that it was coming toward me. The minute that I did that, it was up at our altitude and I could see nothing outside of the cockpit but this craft."

"I didn't know which way to go. Then all of a sudden I heard a racket. I didn't know what it was. And I said: 'What the hell was that?' One of the crewmen looked around and said: 'Everyone [in the plane] was ducking [down] and they collided [with each other]. They were all lying on the [floor of the plane]."

"Then [the UFO] appeared over to the right, moved out slowly and flew with us. It was not at our altitude, but we could see the shape of it. It was a dome and I could see the coronal discharge. I went back aft, let the other pilot, Al Jones, take my seat, and went to see if the passengers were OK. They had some bumps and bruises. One passenger was a doctor so I went to him first. I said: 'Doc, did you see what we saw?' He looked me straight in the eye and said: 'Yeah, it was a flying saucer.' He said: 'I didn't look at it because I don't believe in such things.' It took me a couple of seconds to realize what he was saying. Being a psychiatrist, he couldn't believe in that kind of thing."

"So I went back to the cockpit and said, 'Al, whatever you do, don't tell anybody we saw anything. They will lock us up as soon as we get on the ground.' He says: 'It's too late. I just called Gander control [in Newfoundland] to see if they could track this by radar.' So that's how the story got out."

"It was obvious from the questions and demeanor of the US Navy men who debriefed us that they'd seen things out there before. When the crew returned to the Patuxant River Naval Air Test Center in Maryland, they required that each of us writes a report."

www.ufologie.net...

[edit on 3-3-2009 by easynow]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   

The copilot¹s report goes on to say that the object came within five miles of their aircraft which was borne out by radar evidence of the encounter because the object had been tracked by DEW Line Ground Radar at the base in Goose Bay, Labrador.

www.ufologie.net...

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

Gander Air Traffic Control reports Navy 650I only acft in area

www.ufologie.net...

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Although it isn't documented, reports indicate the object was tracked by ground radar.

www.ufologie.net...

no other craft reported because our craft doesn't fly at 1500 mph

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by easynow

Undocumented reports.
Now that is really, really good evidence!
It is hearsay.

Wheat from the chaff.

[edit on 3/4/2009 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

ok you don't believe it's ok i understand but no need to keep repeating the same thing over and over.

the man is credible and i believe the story

you can punch out now and have a beer

the story still stands as is. you have debunked nothing

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by easynow

I was not attempting to debunk anything. I was pointing out that the radar report cannot be used in this case because no one can produce it. The claim that the light was moving at 1,800 mph comes from the alleged radar report so that claim cannot be accepted either.

The eyewitness report stands as it is, an eyewitness report. The radar report is hearsay.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

the man is credible and reported the radar information

so that testimony has to be considered.

if you don't want to consider it than great.

once again you are repeating the same thing over and over

i believe the object was tracked on radar and the information that has been provided is true.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join