It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 to the 22 TRILLION starsssssssss!!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
There is another possibility. Even an advanced race may have a governmental system. What if the most advanced races pooled together and formed a galactic government that we don't even know about. Every now and again they send recon UFOs to check out our progress and study us (along with every other species at or below our level). Perhaps they set up permanent study stations to monitor us constantly. No one knows.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SumnerKagan

Is it really going to mater though?

Pioneer is crawling along at a tiny fraction of the speed of light. It's barely made it out of our solar-system. Any advanced race coming across it would have picked up our radio signals long before (and much further away) finding our probe, and they would have a pretty good idea of what we are about from what radio signals we sent out. IMO the probes are basically irrelevant.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I had another thought: what of races which are biologically advanced, which have no need of technology. Think of the aliens in Alien (the movies with Sigourney Weaver), or of the Zerg in Starcraft.

If such a race were to come upon Earth in numbers, we could be swarmed under. and conquered solely because we are edible.

Evolution drives for survival not intelligence. Intelligence is not a goal, or end-result of evolutionary forces. From what I've read, my understanding is that life may be abundant in the universe, however intelligence may be very, very rare.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex
And just because a planet develops life does not mean it will develop intelligent life. And even if intelligent life does develop, it does not mean they will become space-faring; there are millions of factors, social and natural, that could stunt their development.

Yes, totally agree 100%...

Also, as a civilization becomes more advanced, the stakes are likely to get higher. With more power, comes more potential for complete destruction.

Just as when we started to harness the power of the atom more than 50 years ago, and risked destroying ourselves, a civilization that might be making the first steps to tapping the power of a star could miscalculate, and cause the destruction of themselves.

We simply don't know what obstacles there could be for a civilization to become 'highly advanced', but from previous experience here on Earth, there is no reason to assume that it would be "plain sailing" to make it.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Comatose
reply to post by NatureBoy

10^22 trillion is a whole lot more than 10 trillion.

If I could give you more than one star I would

Lets see... Just say 10^20 trillion is in kilometres and not stars...
10^22,000,000,000,000 km would make: 172,035,624,800,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 light years!!! (1 light year = 9.4605284^12km)

I believe that is 1.72 Million Undecillion (1.72^38) light years = 10^22trillion km
Some one please correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm in unknown territory once I get past trying to understand trillions of pounds of hard earned cash

Or......... Here is another way of putting it, if Polaris (the north star) is 430 light years away 10^22trillion km is 63,725,059,570,000,000,000,000 round trips

[edit on 4/3/2009 by Now_Then]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join