It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 to the 22 TRILLION starsssssssss!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
www.ted.com...

Im sorry, just SORRY for people who vehemently deny there is life in the universe or that its actually visiting our planet when you watch this talk you should remind yourself of how prolific life must be in the universe. Also to assume an ANCIENT Alien race would rely on mere rocket's to traverse the stars is also naive & arrogant, for they would have surpassed anything we can possibly imagine eons ago and tapped into the power thats all around us to devise new ways to certainly circumvent the speed of light limit. By jumping between universal panes, wormholes, gravity shifting and who knows what else going to another galaxy would be like catching a plane from the Uk to the US. Imagine how such a trip would have seemed a few thousand years ago..impossible no?

Believe it..

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by atsbeliever

hehe 10 trillion stars, we could send them $1 each and it would still be less than the bailout!

I quiet agree with ops point, long ago someone came up with an equation which worked out the likelyhood of other life in the universe, the only problem was all the values were questionmarks, we didn't know haw many planets or how likely a planet was to have a magnetosphere, etc, etc but now it seems that there are going to be lots of habitable planets, all we need to know is the chance of life developing - maybe it's far less than one in twenty trillion, maybe it's far higher -only time will tell.

i sort of hope that we will meet other life one day, then again it could be deadly and what a honor to be the only wise beings in the universe .

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I have to agree with the OP. The universe is too vast and our world is too young for something else not to have developed plus think about it this way. We are more concerned about the here and the now on this planet. What if a race was most concerned about leaving their planet. How much more research on that would they be doing than us? Space program? What space program!?! There is not much into space travel sadly, and there is no routes for the private sector to get up there. To be frank we don't even try to get to another solar system, nor figure out a way to do it.

Here's the crappiest part. Have you ever noticed a cool thing gets discovered and never gets further research, or they find something and they can't prove it right away so they dismiss it? How about all that cool science that never gets looked into because scientists are too closed minded. (para-science)

What if we did look into that stuff more, learn everything about it and use it for tech. What would we discover without our current scientific closed minded inhibitions?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

10^22 trillion is a whole lot more than 10 trillion.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
NatureBoy I think the person you are talking about is Frank Drake of the Drake eqation?

en.wikipedia.org...

Anyways, we will probably never know how much life is out there, but with the Kepler launch friday we might start getting some answers.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortyTwo
Anyways, we will probably never know how much life is out there, but with the Kepler launch friday we might start getting some answers.

... care to elaborate on that?

What is the Kepler launch happening on friday?

Peace

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
O wow, shame on you for not knowing about Kepler! What it will basically do is scan the galaxy for what they call "transit" of a planet across a star. Kepler is so photosensitive that it can detect the dimming of light caused by rocky earth-sized planets in the habitable zone. It will scan 100,000 stars over the next 3 years. Launches friday! hold your breath nothing goes wrong.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I don't think there is a person here who denies there is no life in this universe.

You might even be surprised at how many so called "skeptics" here believe that there are also probably highly advanced civilizations out there.

The thing about the distances involved, is not that they make it unlikely that an advanced civilization could travel here, but instead that they would have great difficulty finding us (or others like them/us) in the first place. 10 to the power 22 stars is a lot of places to look.

Even if they could detect life, it's likely that many potentially habitable planets have simple life forms on them, so it would still be a massive haystack to look through.

Unless they happened to live in the star-system next door so to speak, not even our first radio transmissions (traveling at the speed of light) would have reached them yet, and that is the only way that we broadcast our presence here in this universe with any efficiency whatsoever.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Given how tenaciously & relatively quickly life formed, Im thinking its abundant.
In fact the WHOLE SYSTEM for planetary formation, from the formation of stars, nebula and even black holes is geared to generate potential life forming bodys..thats the POINT OF IT ALL. Other wise why would there even BE a system at all? why not just an empty void? Why would planets even be forming, for no reason or purpose? I dont think life is a mistake, but the PRODUCT of a very well refined system. Im not gonna speculate who or what designed the system, suffice to say it just IS..we have been brainwashed into thinking life is a mistake, we dont belong here and we're alone. All those 3 things couldn't be more WRONG.
Right now humans are in a bubble..a bubble of consciousnesses we cant see beyond much like when people thought the world was FLAT, they couldn't possibly conceive of another dimension/concept beyond that. So it is with alot of us and people here on this very forum, and in the scientific community..they just CANNOT see over the horizon metaphorically speaking. A technological bubble because we're only JUST on the verge of being able to even resolve smaller planets that may support life (as we know it) let alone as we dont know it.

Another example..our life here is based on DNA, every single life form in fact has that..but what if there is life NOT based on DNA? An intriguing development is the finding of 'red rain' in kerala india, Red & white cells which as yet have been able to survive space like temperatures, appear to be living yet have no DNA, or even been identified as terrestrial even after exhaustive research:
www.earthfiles.com...

I think once this story finally breaks and they have no other option but to announce these living cells are extra terrestrial..the already shrinking skeptic community is gonna have to bugger off and find another cause to champion..

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Its true but again don't think in humans terms (if thats possible) we have to make an imaginative leap and speculate at least, they have far advanced detection methods for finding a technological planet that we cant even fathom. We're still pretty much stuck in the 'radio astronomy' era and its arrogant to think that after only 100 years, we have cracked it? Given 1000 years I wonder what methods we would use..hmm...

Even the odds of those potentially habitable planets having advanced life is still rather high I think the statistics will agree with me on that too! Its not a mere handful, but thousands if not more (to be revised in the future!)

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.

The thing about the distances involved, is not that they make it unlikely that an advanced civilization could travel here, but instead that they would have great difficulty finding us (or others like them/us) in the first place. 10 to the power 22 stars is a lot of places to look.

Even if they could detect life, it's likely that many potentially habitable planets have simple life forms on them, so it would still be a massive haystack to look through.

Unless they happened to live in the star-system next door so to speak, not even our first radio transmissions (traveling at the speed of light) would have reached them yet, and that is the only way that we broadcast our presence here in this universe with any efficiency whatsoever.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by atsbeliever

Here is another way of viewing this information:

Pray that NOBODY out there is noticing us.
Pray that there is a GOD that is watching over us.
Pray that, if we ARE hidden, we STAY hidden.

Numbers like "10 to the 22 Trillionth" are pretty much an open door to the concept of "anything that CAN happen, WILL happen, if it HASN'T happened already".

And one of the possibilities is that, even the old comparison of us being like an ant hill waiting to be walked upon by an advanced race, is actually TAME.

I would compare our situation more to, us being a smudge of bacteria on the ground, in the middle of NY City. AT Rush Hour.

Which, depending on your point of view, can either mean that we are safely hidden amongst all the other bacteriological deposits, or we look at all the many ways that a smear of bacteria can get sterilized.

Yup. There is a lot to wonder about.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by SumnerKagan]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Here's the crappiest part. Have you ever noticed a cool thing gets discovered and never gets further research, or they find something and they can't prove it right away so they dismiss it? How about all that cool science that never gets looked into because scientists are too closed minded. (para-science)

Dont get me started on 'scientists'... The same ones who flip flop on Mars- who one second can mention liquid water on Mars NOW, and then have a recent news article about Mars having liquid water a MILLION YEARS ago.

I'm starting to think the only way we'll all get answers is what we're doing now- independent research, away from the talking Nerd Heads- putting our findings on line, and those who have more knowledge adding to or correcting as need be. I'd say the stable, smart ones here have done more to advance the sciences than the govt paycheck nerds any day of the week. It seems all science does any more is invent new ways to entertain us, and wink at the real items of interest, all the while snickering behind their hands.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
Dont get me started on 'scientists'...

Spoken like someone with both an abundance of ignorance and arrogance, with no true understanding of science, scientists, or even Mars issues.

Bravo! No, really. Bravo!

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
You might even be surprised at how many so called "skeptics" here believe that there are also probably highly advanced civilizations out there.

Right, we may not be alone in the universe, but we may be effectively alone.

And just because a planet develops life does not mean it will develop intelligent life. And even if intelligent life does develop, it does not mean they will become space-faring; there are millions of factors, social and natural, that could stunt their development.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I have read almost every article that has come out on mars, and I haven't seen that much dancing around since Someone showed a Riverdance video. There's water, no, it's not water- it might be ice, no, it's not ice. There's lakes, nope, those aren't lakes. Same with health, what's good for you, what isn't- it's a shell game.

Unlike YOU, obviously, I try to keep up with the science papers... and I have seen a lot of backtracking, mumbling, and very little else out of the 'mainstream' community. These are the same bright bulbs that build a giant collider, pooh pooh all the 'it's gonna kill us all' people, then, sit down, and say "hmmm... we've just used our mighty science powers, and there may be a risk!". Followed by:" Say- this thing might not even produce what we're looking for!"

Give me a backyard mad scientist any day of the week. And yes, I know... I almost hijacked the thread. Dont beat me.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Don't take this wrong but don't get me started on 'scientists' too. I know quite a bit about most aspects of science (I am no geologist lol). I majored in physics and mathematics. I actually went into that field because I wanted to dive into space travel research. You know work on interstellar travel, yeah that was my dream. How naive I was. It seems to me that a lot of "discoveries" in science today are implemented to entertain us instead of advancing us. And as wylekat already stated back track us. Although it is not completely true (NASA's Kepler launch). It seems to me that we are far more advanced than we know, yet the research of everything truly important is in the hands of the powers that be and not the great minds of the private sector. Even if we had already discovered a means for interstellar travel you think we would know about it? Heck no they want to keep us right where we are.

[edit on 4-3-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I think the problem is that there are an abundance of claims and theories. For every theory that has later been shown to be true there are many others that turned out to be false. Without rigorous standards of evidence there is no way to distinguish between theories, as many are superficially plausible. What people regard as flip-flopping and uncertainty, is making sure that things stand up to scrutiny.

Don't confuse the media with science. The media is the worst possible way to keep track of it. Many improvements to modern life are a direct result of incremental, tedious, evidence based research, which doesn't get reported. One example of that is improvements in intensive care units. There have been incremental improvements from their establishment in the early 1950s leading to countless saved lives. Another example is our understanding of practical physics leading to increasingly powerful computing devices. My Core 2 Duo is the stuff of science fiction twenty years ago (the NVIDIA GPU is the stuff of madmen in terms of raw computing power, on a similar timescale). Improvements in weather forecasting. Fuel efficiency. Mass manufacturing. Darpanet leading to the Internet. There are countless other examples of incremental improvements. Not big breakthroughs, but just as important.

Science isn't just about big discoveries. A lot of it is about tedious, grinding, research that leads to incremental changes. It's also about recording things and gathering evidence. The Tunguska Event is a good example of where the evidence gathered in a rigorous way, by Leonid Kulik, later turned out to be very important. There are many other examples where evidence gathered by scientists has later proven to be very useful. What we see in the media is about entertainment.

Moderate opinions do not sell newspapers.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
What worries me about the possibility of incredibly advanced races being out there is the fact that we stupidly send our probes out with gold plaques stating HERE I AM! HERE'S HOW YOU KILL ME!

It would seem to me, that if we now not only suspect, but expect, numerous advanced civilizations, then we can also suspect that some of those civilizations would be hostile. This whole idea of "advanced races" having surely abandoned warfare and conquest is absurd. If a race has advanced to the point that it can easily traverse interstellar space, then what are the odds that it will genuinely care about indigenous species?

The very idea that an alien race would share a system of morality even remotely akin to our own is absurd. Any normative claim that is made by a human about an alien civilization is lacking a very integral element, namely the perspective of the alien civilization.

Hypothesize with me here: suppose there's an alien race out there, with the capability of interstellar travel, which is completely oblivious to any other civilization. Further suppose that they are of a neutral attitude towards the idea of other civilizations. Suddenly, they intercept Pioneer 10 or 11, and are forced to accept that some other world is approaching the level of sophistication required to achieve interstellar travel. They also have a map directly to Earth.

Then they visit our world and see the devastation we inflict upon our own species, not just through action, but also through inaction (such as allowing people all over the world to suffer and starve.) Mylan Engel, a philosopher at NIU, has postulated that if the world's wealthier populace were to give only 2% of their income, which is hardly noticeable to us, the worlds starving could easily be fed. And yet we allow them to starve. Even the greatest lover of humanity is forced to look at our species and shudder at our brutality.

They have no obligation to us. They have no need of us. They have no concept of human morality. They witness us destroying each other. What they see is a very mineral-rich world, with a potentially dangerous species occupying it. Even optimists would have to concede that if humans encounter highly advanced races, odds of our own civilization being obliterated are high indeed.

I have never understood, beyond the scope of human optimism, the concept that technologically advanced races would, by default, be morally advanced as well. Our own race is making massive strides towards technological advancement, and, assuming we survive the next few centuries, are destined to branch out into the universe, however our basic moral constitution has remained unchanged for aeons.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlaznRob
What worries me about the possibility of incredibly advanced races being out there is the fact that we stupidly send our probes out with gold plaques stating HERE I AM! HERE'S HOW YOU KILL ME!

Good Point.

But, actually, what we are saying is more like:

"Hey, look at this ridiculously primitive and harmless contraption that we have sent into space! And, look at our sad, misguided, mentally challenged attempt at communicating with you. Please note that a study of this probe, alone, will give you many ideas for destroying us, eating us, enslaving us, or all of the above!"

[edit on 4-3-2009 by SumnerKagan]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
We're aren't looking at the other side of this smelly, dirty coin. Let's say a race shows up- indifferent to us, or maybe even thinking of helping us- what would our governments do...........???

"Today, US(and if you're not from here, put your own country in this spot) forces engaged in a first strike against the alien invaders..."

THEN ya can break out the BBQ sauce and the good silver for them. Because they will have all of us for lunch.

[edit on 4-3-2009 by wylekat]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join