It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Karma Yoga and the Latent Light Culture

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Perhaps it's just a matter of growing the sense of self beyond the weights of emotion tangles that keep us limited to a narrow point of view.

Which sounds like being objective, basically, about the self as it is in relation to the whole. But since we are in this situation with emotions, we might as well enjoy them. The best of them. Which is my goal.

[edit on 5-3-2009 by seagrass]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
reply to post by TravelerintheDark

Yes. Sometimes I think of ego as referring more to an emotional attachment to sense of self, rather than just the localized perspective of a human individual.

This is exactly how I see it. I've heard certain Tibetan Buddhists refer to ego as a "delusion of self-grasping," or a "self-cherishing delusion of the delusional mind." I think I agree with that. But I do not think the suspension of ego should be considered a "non-localising" unification of yourself with the whole entirely.

Originally posted by TravelerintheDark
While it may be true that the word 'ego' can be defined in many different ways, the primary definition is a sense of self (according to the American-Heritage Dictionary). And I don't see this as being any different from the definition of ego in spiritual circles. Because isn't the goal of most spiritual paths to reach a sense or being of one with the universe? And to do so doesn't that at least imply there can be no 'self'? To be one, there can be only one and therefore no self.

What I've learnt from Robert Anton Wilson, Buddhism and The I Ching is that, contrary to the Aristotelian mode of thought where something is either “black” or “white,” “is” or “isn't;” they can also be both at the very same time. Taking the Johnny Cash quote “We're one, but we're not the same” out of the context in which he intended it is the best explanation I can think of to offer you right now.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
As I do I want to respond to a few posts in depth and detail, but its late and I never slept last night so before I sign of Just to say that I think the Ego and what it is and wher, and how much to have or not to find this truth is just as these things do Materialised in a thread I did earlier, watch the video this Lama, Monk Business Mans, Athlete, Artist, Secret Holder explanation it is all in his Rap "What about Me"

Mipham Rinpoche Getting Musical to Explain it simply in Rap

I know the contributers of this thread will enjoy it Immensly as they will listen to what he says.

Will add more tomorrow as well some very good points indeed.

Love and Light

Elf

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
An interesting blog article in the NYTimes today:

The Worst Buddhist In The World

It has dawned on me lately, meditating on the Metro, thoughts silenced so completely that I can hear every page being turned by passengers up and down the car (I am above reading — I am present to myself) that being fully in the moment, all senses turned on, feeling your hands in your lap and the ground under your feet, is a very good way of not being there at all.

I think the idea that something can lost in finding stillness – that a vital connection to other humans in all its complex emotionality is not necessarily something to be avoided – is an important insight.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Wonderful piece. Thanks for sharing that. I wish I could reply this to everyone in the thread since everyone has contributed wonderfully to the discussion. But I'd like to use this tidbit as the point to tip off from.

I think this illustrates what may be characterized as the 'westernization' of enlightenment and the techniques used to pursue it. Simply put, it becomes a goal. Which was the intent behind my initial post that oneness is not a goal at all. Because as Cadbury pointed out, and with which I agree, it is the state we live in. Both in unity and individuality. A simultaneous existence of which we only experience one aspect. Because of that hindrance of perspective I would disagree in one respect and say that all is also black or white.

To choose or not to choose I think may be the real question.

I think what's sometimes forgotten, or perhaps lost in translation, is that enlightenment is not a state of being, but a state of awareness. An awareness of our simultaneous existence. Years of yoga, meditation, prana channeling, shedding ego attachments, etc don't lead to enlightenment per say, but they can lead to an experience. A taste of the infinite on a finite palate. A delicious thing. But one that still leaves the individual hungry. And so the question remains, what now?

That isn't to say that I don't see yoga and meditation, or any other spiritual practice as useful or valid, but I think the context needs to be maintained. That these are ways to connect us with something that feels at least divine, to maintain a balance in this life of ego so that we are neither too selfish or selfless. To make the trip more pleasant as we traverse this plane full of ego-beings and to help us enjoy the ride a bit more.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
To Ian McLean's interest in The Latent Light Culture, I only have to say that it still exists and works with all earnest with the members in fulfilling their chosen path. It is the only proponent of true ancient Yoga with the true yogic meaning of different terms and shlokas from Bhagvad Gita. Just as an example, Karma is not about action, rather Karma is Thought, which is the originator of Action.
The whole concept of ancient Yoga is to gain control over Thought through practices and then that is the stepping stone for one to attain the further glories of this human life!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Bump
We all need more of this in our lives.

So simple really just as the following:

Relax

&

Now

&

Love

Elf

top topics