It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds 'to let CIA off the hook for tapes'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Feds 'to let CIA off the hook for tapes'

rawstory.com

Even though he has yet to complete his investigation, a federal prosecutor has already signaled that he is unlikely to indict any CIA employees for incinerating 92 secret interrogation tapes that purportedly show suspects being waterboarded.

Lost in the flood of reports about the CIA admitting the destruction of 92 interrogation tapes in a government legal filing were new and potentially devastating details. Sources close to an ongoing probe told The Washington Post that they expect no one at the CIA will be charged.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-3-2009 by baseball101]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Wow! what happened to Obama punishing the Bush administration officials prosecuting these people? there needs to be something done about this kind of treatment ...

I guess this is nothing new at all ... just another example of the government pushing a law to it's limit and going far beyond breaking it by covering it up ... then not getting punished ... when will something be done to make the government responsible for it's actions? thoughts?

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
well it looks like john yoo lives to see another day to crush kids testicles

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

WHAT!?!?!?! It is a felony to destroy evidence. This should outrage Americans? How desensitized ARE they??

O-315

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
And what do Americans gain by showing outrage?

Politicians have already shown that they will protect their own no matter what the public thinks.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

CIA is god.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
And the beat goes on...

Meet the new bosses, same as the old ones...

Zero accountability, zero consequences...

Check mate, populace!

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by organism315
reply to post by baseball101

WHAT!?!?!?! It is a felony to destroy evidence. This should outrage Americans? How desensitized ARE they??

O-315

The Bachelor, Wife Swap, Dancing with the stars, Americas Got Talent, Inner Beauty, Beauty and the Geek, American Idol, Survivor, etc.

Get the picture?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Ask yourself, what jurisdiction does the use of torture fall under?

In the currently declared 'state of war' it becomes a military issue. Since the CIA is a separate entity from the DoD, it becomes a Justice Department matter.

The Justice department is manned by what leadership? Generally speaking, the same as before the new adminsitration.

The CIA is a criminal organization. It engages in criminal activities. It always has. It continues to do so. Why would anyone confront that? The CIA could demolish ANY politician's career and life if they were so inclined.

This fight has to begin in congress. And once there..., it would die quietly, as it always does. Same goes for the Fed, the FCC, the DEA, and just about any other 'agency' the federal government uses to control the states.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
That's insane, so blatant and yet nothing can be done. Simply awful is all I can say at the moment.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
And what do Americans gain by showing outrage?

Politicians have already shown that they will protect their own no matter what the public thinks.

So you're gonna sit quietly?

This is not an insult just a question.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by organism315

I don't care what happened to these folks in the hands of the CIA. Bush erred in that he did not waterboarding them and then try them in the field under a military court and simply execute them.

When you think about the destruction of evidence, how about the missing documents out of Vince Foster's office, the missing billing records from the Rose Law Firm and, of course that gem of civic duty - those top secret documents that Clinton's National Security Advisor, Sandy Berger jammed down his pants, took out of the White House and then attempted to hide them in some kind of construction trailer?

What goes around comes around and I think they are doing the right thing by letting it go, the same way Bush was by letting the BS out of the Clinton administration go.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

That's a very good question.

What are the options?

Getting outrage will yield no results, except maybe ulcers.

Write your Congressman and you get a typical thank you.

Threaten them and you are in big trouble.

Protest and a few hundred show up.

I really don't know what the answer is.

If this was your country what would you do?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Protest!

Apathy has achieved nothing of note, perhaps if people were more proactive protests would be more successful. Here in Europe protesting works quite well, even if it's just at the very basic level of raising awareness.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Is it possible for a civillian to sue them? They got the evidence, they got the case and now only thing missing is court date. Should some civs poll their money for a lawsuit?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

that's pretty possible, but i'm sure they wouldn't let it get to the courts

i misread your post it would be dumb to sue the federal government for this ... i would take them to court for destroying evidence ... suing would definitely not hold up in court ...

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
You can not sue the federal government. I forget what the law is called, but a private citizen can not sue the government, with one exception being for information under the freedom of information act. Only congress can call the Federal government to task a vice a versa

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I think we as americans need to get over this national security state.

Anything of critical importance gets classified "top secret" or lost in some bizarre accident. Of course we all pretend not to know this.....and as a result only sleasy, insignificant matters reach the courts.......

I am not saying we don't need some form of secrecy because that would indeed be wrong, but I do feel many people high up are using(or more correctly abusing) the system to hinder justice, when justice needs serving.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Pathetic..
Promised us change and hope...and accountability.
Hmm..same ole rhetoric from a slick politician.
You suck Obama.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Is it possible for a civillian to sue them? They got the evidence, they got the case and now only thing missing is court date. Should some civs poll their money for a lawsuit?

What harm was caused to any American by the destruction of the tapes? I don't understand why people are so upset.
If the tapes were still in existence and made public by the NY Times, would there be outrage the identities of CIA operatives were revealed?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join