It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirate radio 'puts lives at risk'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Pirate radio 'puts lives at risk'

news.bbc.co.uk

Authorities have been increasing their efforts to crack down on pirate radio stations in the UK.

Regulator Ofcom says the broadcasts can put lives at risk by interfering with emergency service frequencies, and can also block legitimate stations.

Police officers raided an address in north London which, they say, housed an illegal radio station.

Five people were arrested and officers seized thousands of pounds worth of broadcasting and musical equipment.

Ofcom says there are more than 150 pirate radio stations operating across the UK, half of which operate in London and the South East of England.

Last year, officers raided 43 studios used by illegal stations and shut down 838 illegal transmitters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Now, this is an interesting article. Rules, rules, and more rules. I'm getting fed up with all the rules the goverments of this world are imposing on us.
This just goes to show that we are not free, and we are controlled. I know that other possibilities exist to broadcast radio shows, like on internet for instance. It's a good thing, because freedom of expression is very important to a lot of us.
I can't wait till we are finally free of domination and that we'll be able to express ourselves freely and without rules and regulations.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I have to say i do kind of agree with the article, even though it is over exagerated.

They are not on about internet radio, anyone can do that for free, there are many sites to do so.

Pirate radio uses radio waves that can be picked up by radio's and maybe even some TV's. Different serveces reserve different frequency ranges. For an example,

12-50 FM could be for police, 50-90 could be for hospital, 90-160FM for broadcasting radio (BBC radio, etc)

They arnt all them frequencies or FM, but its just an example.

Some pirate radio stations can sometimes get too close to the reserved frequency ranges used by the emergency services, and can cause interferance which will delay their reaction to a call.

As i said, it is over exagerated, but they should stay out of those frequency ranges.
Personaly im supprised pirate radio stations are still going, its a hell lot cheaper if not free on the internet, and the radio is not as popular as it once was. Most people now use TV or internet to listen to there radio now.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
At least the BBC gave the pirate radio-eers (?)a fair chance to speak:

However, one pirate radio DJ told the BBC that while pirate stations may have interfered with the emergency services in the past, it was now a rare occurrence.

Steve, who manages the pirate radio station Ice Cold FM, said: "Problems can occur if people use a badly built link box that connects the studio to the transmitter.

"These systems, called Band 1, can put out multiples of their frequency, so a link on 50Mhz could spill out onto 100Mhz and other high band frequencies.

"I would say 90% of pirates don't use Band 1 links any more. We all use microwave links that are completely interference free," he said.

AND

"I wanted to go legal. We tried to get a community based licence and even went off air for a while.

"But once we looked into it, they wanted us to show that we had £25,000 in sponsorship to prove that we could establish the business for a length of time, which is far more than we would actually need.

"Even to apply costs money and Ofcom can still say no, so it's just not worth the effort." [i/]

A fair point i say...

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Yeah, its a load of crap really.
Nazi bs.Total control.
Where does the government get off, saying they "Own" the airwaves.
Pretty soon it will be they own your thoughts.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This is something that is happening in the US as well. I urge everyone in the US to write their representatives about H.R. 1147. This will open up micro FM broadcasting in a broader scope than it is now. Many local communities already do this. Please get behind this bill.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainCaveMan

yup, i agree with you 100%. I mean, freedom is freedom. Where you have any kind of control, you are not free, plain and simple.
A real free society, that's what we need, but we need to be intelligent of course, cuz some of us might go overboard!

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Yavin4

(5) In 2003, the average cost to acquire a commercial radio station was more than $2,500,000

Thanks for the link. Above is article 5 from your link. I mean, who can afford this kind of price tag? unreal!

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
There should be a "range" reserved for non-commercial, non-emergency, use by citizen run stations.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I wonder if the corporate world will allow that... I mean, broacasting business is big $$$. Maybe with some pressure on our local rep. and a lot of arm twisting, it may become reality.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
What is to "allow?"

The government is run by the people for the people. The main level of government is the people.

A section of the radio waves that are regulated on their behalf could very easily be set aside with "allowance" for corporations.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
What is to "allow?"

The government is run by the people for the people. The main level of government is the people.

A section of the radio waves that are regulated on their behalf could very easily be set aside with "allowance" for corporations.

Big corporations "own" the airwaves. They have monopoly, and they are not about to let it go. Goverment have no power over big corporations, they never have and never will. And as far a goverment is concerned, there is so much corruption going on, we don't even know 1% of all the BS taking place.

Peace

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Why not just crack down on the ones who are overlapping frequencies that have been paid for?

If they're broadcasting on an unused frequency and aren't interfering with another stations transmission, then there's clearly no harm, no foul.

I know you're probably asking "but Johnsky, where would be the point in paying for a frequency in the first place?"

The answer is quite simple.
If you pay for a frequency, you would be guaranteed that frequency is for your use only. If you don't pay for the frequency, someone else can overlap it and intrude on your broadcast.

Simple enough right?
The incentive would be for the companies to continue paying, and the private users to seek an empty frequency with each broadcast.

Clearly, they'd rather just waste taxpayer money hunting down radio enthusiasts.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This is ridiculous. I have said this before and I will undoubtedly say it many times again. GO CATCH SOME REAL CRIMINALS. Honestly it is a disgrace they should be spending time catching real criminals like rapists and murderers
. Instead they waste time catching people who aren't really harming anyone. They need to completely redo the police system in this country.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

I agree. I didn't look at it that way. Interesting point of view.
It just goes to show that discussions between people can bring good ideas, thanks dude.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cauch1
This is ridiculous. I have said this before and I will undoubtedly say it many times again. GO CATCH SOME REAL CRIMINALS. Honestly it is a disgrace they should be spending time catching real criminals like rapists and murderers
. Instead they waste time catching people who aren't really harming anyone. They need to completely redo the police system in this country.

Way to go! I totally relate to what you are saying! Catching real criminals, that harm other people or kill or rape, that's what authorities should concentrate on.
I mean, broadcasting is not in anyway hurting anyone. Thanks for the input Cauch1.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trolloks

Some pirate radio stations can sometimes get too close to the reserved frequency ranges used by the emergency services, and can cause interferance which will delay their reaction to a call.

As i said, it is over exagerated, but they should stay out of those frequency ranges.

You would be surprised at how technical most of the pirate radio operators are.

For example, and I know this from experience because I have run such stations many times, a pirate operator wants their signal to get out as good as it can, thus they will search for an unused frequency, and one that is at least 2 channels away, both above and below their intended frequency of operation. This does 2 things for them and other stations and listeners of those other stations. 1. It allows the signal to get as much reach as possible without interference to itself, and 2, it helps prevent interference to the other stations above and below it.

True that there are some operators out there who would not know the difference between a good operation and a junky operation and just throw up a signal without considering anything at all. But the majority actually abide by the technical aspects of the law..meaning their signal is spectrally pure, harmonics are well below the minimums, their signal is clean in modulation, they use stable exciters that are frequency locked, they make sure their output power is just enough to get the reach they need, and they never just leave them on when not playing any programs.

I do not condone illegal operations, but much of the penalites are too harsh for the offense. After all, they are only creating a small electromagnetic field compared to someone doing murder or robery or rape or other more serious crimes.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I believe we are free to utilize all technology to communicate and create media as we wish. No, not a belief. I won't allow anyone to be "over my head" and find most of the laws passed to violate human rights and sovereignity, therefore these psuedo laws are treason to me.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
When people discuss what it is to be free I often find myself trying to be specific not generalist.

I agree that governments are generally out to excersize over elitism on the side of control. Yet people dont have self restraint often times. To know self control would be the goal, not freedom. Freedom is a false term used too often. Liberty would be a more correct word.

With freedom I can do a whole spectrum of bad or good things. But with liberty, which is conditional on self restraint, wisdom, and prudence, i can do the right things. So in this case I would've made up my mind to skip the buying of expensive equipment and gone with the internet.

But also governments often act like dictators especially the british, they are a moody bunch arent they. Ive been there and experienced it firsthand. England really needs an enema when it comes to the way they handle there citizens. I know they are an island and have more to worry about than other continental countries, but I still say America, England and australia as of the last 10 years have been showing signs of a inside enemy using law to force a nefarious political system that imprisons rather than frees its people into a fear of abuse by its so called enforcers.

I find that most criminal of all.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mastermind77

But also governments often act like dictators especially the british, they are a moody bunch arent they. Ive been there and experienced it firsthand. England really needs an enema when it comes to the way they handle there citizens. I know they are an island and have more to worry about than other continental countries, but I still say America, England and australia as of the last 10 years have been showing signs of a inside enemy using law to force a nefarious political system that imprisons rather than frees its people into a fear of abuse by its so called enforcers.

I find that most criminal of all.

Indeed!!! They are all a bunch of crooks who use their positions to squash our "liberties", i like that word, it sounds good. Anyhow, thanks for that intervention, it's important to have a lot of opinions, cuz this is the goal of this forum.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join