It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mall wants Manilow music to drive out unruly teens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Mall wants Manilow music to drive out unruly teens

news.yahoo.com

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – It'll be Barry Manilow versus the mall rats. The New Zealand city of Christchurch hopes that putting the American crooner's smooth and gentle tones into the mix of music to be broadcast through the central mall district can pacify unruly teens who congregate there_ or at least convince them to go elsewhere.

"The intention is to change the environment in a positive way ... so nobody feels threatened or intimidated," Central City Business Association manager Paul Lonsdale told The Associated Press. "I did not say Barry Manilow is a weapon of mass destruction."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Now if this isn't alternative news I don't know what is! I think they will do more than drive the teens out. They will drive everyone nuts!

I write the songs that make the whole world cringe...er sing.

Please I hope this does not come to America. I guess it doesn't matter to me I don't go to the mall anyway..except Barnes and Noble and they have there own music and an outside mall entrance.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Now THAT is funny business and I think its a good idea!!! I hate going to mall anyway so it wouldn't affect me but still it's FUNNY!! I listen to classical a lot and that would deter kids. At least it deters my own kids.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
how does the human mind conceive such evil

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

I must be sad because I love "copacobana". I hope I've spelt it right.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
This is hilarious. I wonder if it was the retailers idea, or mall management. It's a sort of psychological warfare, isn't it?

I wonder if there's a similar conspiracy to encourage people to be healthier and take the stairs, rather than using elevators. Perhaps perpetrated by the Muzak corporation?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Why can they not just ask the bad teens to leave instead of punishing people that shop there?

I thought torture did not work.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I thought most malls deterred teens by feeding low frequency noise through their speakers.

There's a certain frequency that you can only hear if you are younger, generally under the age of 25.

It's annoying but not unpleasant, it only deters the frequent malingerers.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

It's a high frequency noise dubbed the 'mosquito'.
The tiny hairs in your ear die off with age and aural abuse making older people immune to it.

I suppose no good for the deaf 'clubber' type who regularly expose their eardrums to trance/rave at volumes approaching 'Disaster Area' db levels.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by AGENT_T]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Haha! this was soo funny!

But!.. what if it backfires and starts a Barry Manilow cult among the unruly teens?

I can just see this before me eyes! unruly teens everywhere downloading old Barry Manilow goodies from Pirate bay or similar!
and later we'll see them all wearing t-shirts that says:

Barry Manilow Rules! - Barry Manilow FTW!

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
You mean to tell me that they found a use for manilow? The ba thing is he is gonna make more money off of this, the little elflike man that he is.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
There is a block downtown where i live and over the past 15 years and three different uses, (bar, parking lot, and now entertainment complex) there has been two constants. speakers playing classical music with the intent of keeping loitering youths away and loitering youths that could care less whats being played out of the speakers.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   

It's old news here in the UK (the guinea pigs as usual), at least we have been subjected to a nicer kind of psychological warfare - Manilow vs Mozart? No-brainer given the choice.

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 3-3-2009 by Goathief]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Several years ago in Seattle, they began broadcasting Country Music Classics from the outdoor speakers at a McDonalds downtown.

It was in response to the gangs and drug dealers that hung around outside the establishment, blocking the entrance and harassing customers.

It worked.

Hard to be thuggin' with a backdrop of Conway Twitty.

*edit to fix link

[edit on 3/3/09 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Old people aren't immune to it; My grandfather can hear the sound absolutely fine and he is well pass the intended age; everybody I know from 5 to 60 can hear it so the crap about only certain ages can hear it is nothing but bs

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jatsc

I can hear it too,also at over 25...

(In response to your 'eloquently put' post)

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

They might be onto something here.

Maybe they can use the same approach to put kids off TV and get outside more often.

Worth a thought

[edit on 3-3-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chevalerous
But!.. what if it backfires and starts a Barry Manilow cult among the unruly teens?

You are twisted and evil for thinking such thoughts.

Everywhere we go teens playing Manilow at full volume. Manilow or is it that Man-is-low?

Parents tearing their hair out because the teens in the next room "at the copa...copacabana" parents begging please you little Satan spawn stop playing that music...its killing my soul!!!

Does the world have to be so cruel? Oh no...now the song copcacabana is in my head.
Oh God make it stop...

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
lol, these people need to visit a place called Trenton Ontario and look around before trying this.

Trenton attempted exactly that (aside from the Barry Manilow part). They wanted to get rid of the teenagers hanging outside of shops etc by playing dull music over a newly installed sound system.

Guess what happened.

Next time you're traveling through Trenton, have a look at what the residents call "old downtown". It's called that for a reason. The once thriving stores are now empty... rent, vacant, and lease signs are all you'll typically see down there now. What you'll hear is Trenton's attempt to clean it up... dull music played all the way down the main strip.

Can you guess where the "new downtown" is?

You probably guessed right... the businesses are now thriving where the teenagers fled to, their "hangout" away from the music became the new downtown... right outside the airbase, under heavy air traffic. Exactly where you wouldn't expect businesses to thrive.

Why is it there? Because that's where the money blowing teenagers went.

... and they're still playing the dull music in "old downtown".
... I'm sure the rent, lease, and vacant signs are loving the tunes.

This will be as much of a bad decision for Wellington, New Zealand.

I guarantee it will ruin those businesses.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

This will be as much of a bad decision for Wellington, New Zealand.

I guarantee it will ruin those businesses.

You may be right. I replied also because I wanted to try out a new gif I made.

This is what this baby thinks of Barry Mainlow.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join