It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Earthquake (Kent)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Just felt the house shake 10 minutes ago and Skynews are reporting an Earthquake in my region.

BBC Radio are suggesting the epic centre (correct term?) is in Dover, but police are stating it is Folkestone.

This is the second Earthquake in the region in two years, how surreal for England

[edit on 3-3-2009 by infinite]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Local media in Canterbury..

An earth tremor has hit parts of East Kent, including Dover.

Houses were reported to have shaken in the Barton, Buckland and River areas of the town, and there are reports of tremors being felt in Folkestone.

It happened at 2.36pm and was picked up by a seismic station at Elham.
The tremor lasted only a few seconds, and was less severe and much shorter than the one in April 2007.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Kent Online

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
How odd, you know i had the strangest feeling that there was something not quite right today, i had that odd feeling sensation,

Any hows, take care Infi, as i know thats your area, If this is a tremor then there may be something on its way,

The Quake is thought to be a 2.8 ml

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Any hows, take care Infi, as i know thats your area, If this is a tremor then there may be something on its way,

There are numerous prehistoric faults lines along the English channel, I could be in for an eventful night
lol

Dover Earthquake 1580

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Just felt the house shake 10 minutes ago and Skynews are reporting an Earthquake in my region.

Hopefully there is no damage.. English architecture doesn't exactly take earthquakes into account.

Its a strange occurrence. Must be caused by Global warming

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

It's not uncommon at all, I'm surprised that people are still surprised that we have them here!

On average I think we get over one a week in the UK, can you remember all the fuss about the 5.1 that hit in February last year? Some of us have must have short-term memories.

Linkage:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
On a similar note did you know the UK has more tornadoes per square mile than the US?

www.theherald.co.uk...

However, the UK actually has the highest frequency of reported tornados in the world - once you take land areas into account. Obviously a large nation will report many tornados simply because of its large area, but when you do the sums, like the American meteorologist Dr T Fujita did in 1973, Britain actually experiences more. It turns out that on average, 33 tornados are reported each year in the UK. This average is based on a 30-year period, though the actual yearly figures may vary dramatically from year to year.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goathief
On a similar note did you know the UK has more tornadoes per square mile than the US?

Smaller land mass.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Smaller land mass.

Well thank you for that enlightening one liner, is that not what I just stated?

Fact of the matter is that these things are far from uncommon in the UK yet it appears a lot of people are ignorant.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goathief
Well thank you for that enlightening one liner, is that not what I just stated?

Lol sowwy

Fact of the matter is that these things are far from uncommon in the UK yet it appears a lot of people are ignorant.

Most people think the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is called just "England." Ignorance is rampant.

new topics

top topics

join