It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Secret Bush Memo Authorizing Warrantless Seizure Of 'Terror Suspects' Released

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Secret Bush Memo Authorizing Warrantless Seizure Of 'Terror Suspects' Released


www.huffingtonpost.com

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration threw open the curtain on years of Bush-era secrets Monday, revealing anti-terror memos that claimed exceptional search-and-seizure powers and divulging that the CIA destroyed nearly 100 videotapes of interrogations and other treatment of terror suspects.

The Justice Department released nine legal opinions showing that, following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the Bush administration determined that certain constitutional rights would not apply during the coming fight. Within two weeks, government lawyers were already discussing ways to wiretap U.S. conversations without warrants.

The Bush administration eventually abandoned many of the legal conclusions, but the documents themselves had been closely held. By releasing them, President Barack Obama continued a house-cleaning of the previous administration's most contentious policies.

"Too often over the past decade, the fight against terrorism has been viewed as a zero-sum battle with our civil liberties," Attorney General Eric Holder said in a speech a few hours before the documents were released. "Not only is that school of thought misguided, I fear that in actuality it does more harm than good."

(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Let us be perfectly clear on this... seven these memo's suggested that bush minor had the power to muzzle the press... conduct military raids within the United States itself and to seize people without the due process of law all on the president's say so.

The remaining two made months before the end of his administration basically sought to cover their sorry asses.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)



posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
The thing that's really starting to bother me is that nobody is doing anything about any of this! It seems like every week or two we get a new tidbit of information about the crimes this administration has committed, and with each piece of information, people just get more and more apathetic about it.

Hell, look at Rove ignoring the three (correct me if I'm wrong) subpoenas against him! Nobody cares! The mainstream media doesn't report on it! The American people need to stand up and demand that justice be served for the crimes that were committed in our name!



posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   



posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
The frog has been boiling so long it's made soup. Quotes like this don't even surprise me anymore:



Fourth Amendment protections against unwarranted search and seizure, for instance, did not apply in the United States as long as the president was combatting terrorism, the Justice Department said



"First Amendment speech and press rights may also be subordinated to the overriding need to wage war successfully," Deputy Assistant Attorney General John Yoo wrote



"The current campaign against terrorism may require even broader exercises of federal power domestically."


This is America??





posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
From what I have heard there are going to be more bush error opinions to be released within the next week or two.



new topics

top topics
 
0

log in

join