It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Peace Phones" from US to Iran, what do you think?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Well this is something interesting I found on WIRED.com today concerning Iran and American relations. Apparently, they have set up "peace phones", 1960's style bright red phones that directly link Americans to Iranian citizens in an effort (or a sick joke) to improve relations between us and them.
Peace Phones
This is one of those things, in my opinion mind you, that sounds great to an American like me, but when you consider the likely radical view by the party on the other end of the phone, (someone who does not believe in the holocust, and believes us to be the symbol of Evil in the world) I just don't know what good it could do. One conversation went something like this:

US: (says something about the weather being cold, making small talk)
Iran: (says at least you have a roof over your head unlike those in Iraq whomes homes you destroyed)

People just don't seem to realize that they will not likely be talking to a rational, peace minded person on the other end. You would be talking to someone who has been born and bred to hate us, someone who is controlled by absurd propoganda into believing we are the devil, we are all Zionists, lord knows what else. Don't get me wrong, I wish to hell that something like this could actually work, and in some cases, i think this would have helped with some situations in the past with other countries, at least to some degree.
I was also upset with the way that it seems to be a growing trend with these phones to listen to them rant, then apologize for America like you are the spokeman for the whole country, listen to another rant, say you are terribly sorry about that too, and so on and so on. Apologizing for the war in Iraq will not help matters. It's done. We as a people know that we could not have stopped it, we know that as a majority we were actually opposed to it, but Iran doesn't know that our little "democracy" here doesn't allow us to stop something like that even if we wanted to. By simply saying sorry over and over I believe we would be feeding their hatred. I have noticed something with animals before. The more one cowers in fear from another, the more that other wants to tear it to pieces. I think hearing "oh my gosh that's terrible, you should be upset Iran, I'm so sorry!" will only encourage more and more hatred of Americans. I do not feel comfortable with some folks that may be saying that (or worse)to these people and they supposedly represent ME! Know what I mean?
What does the rest of ATS think about this? I'm interested to see the different views on this, because I personally would LOVE for a great way for two opposing nations to better communicate, I'm just not sure how practical it is.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by Enigma Publius]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I know plenty of Iranians and none of them sound anything like your stereotypical guess at what they would be like.

Can I ask, did you start this topic because you know you are wrong and it will increase your ATS points as post after post appear to tell you how immature and ignorant you sound?

I would love to see you phone Iran and get a good education while your at it.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by BigC2012]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Enigma Publius

"We as a people know that we could not have stopped it, we know that as a majority we were actually opposed to it, but Iran doesn't know that our little "democracy" here doesn't allow us to stop something like that even if we wanted to."

Your view is comical I will give you that. I feel sorry for you if you truly believe what you posted, you are hopelessly lost but by opening up to both sides of the story you may get some understanding one day. Otherwise good luck with your hate thread.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigC2012

"We as a people know that we could not have stopped it, we know that as a majority we were actually opposed to it, but Iran doesn't know that our little "democracy" here doesn't allow us to stop something like that even if we wanted to."

Your view is comical I will give you that. I feel sorry for you if you truly believe what you posted, you are hopelessly lost but by opening up to both sides of the story you may get some understanding one day. Otherwise good luck with your hate thread.

the only one sided thing i see here is your insisting that this is a hate thread sir. i clearly stated that i wish this could work. I have had direct contact with An Iranian person before, he went to college with me, and he had no problems admitting that his country as a whole is taught to deny the holocust, they are taught that we ARE a Zionist country, and as a whole, they do hate us. How do we fix that? I don't know sir, and i think i said i didn't have the answers, and i did clearly state that i wish something like this could work. Are you trying to tsay that the other mans quote i used is my own opinion? That's not quite fair then is it? Please don't be so quick to decide something like this the way you have, it's very irresponsible and totally non conducive to an intelligent discussion.
I'll be glad to discuss this in a rational, fair way if you can do that however.

here's how one conversation went on these peace phones.
the american says something to the effect about cold weather, trying to make small talk i assume, establishing rapport, and the Iran man says "well at least you have shelter over your head unlike those who's homes you destroyed in Iraq."
How does one have a conversation with someone who is THAT strongly opposed to doing so?
If i'm painting with a broad brush so to speak it is only because as a whole that is how it shakes down sir, not out of hatred. the only thing i ever really hate is closed mindedness. (i'm not sure if that is a word, but i like it)
would you argue and say that as a whole they ( the Iran citizens) are in fact not opposed to a peaceful conversation, a rational way to discuss differences with americans? That a majority of Iran citizens do not believe us to be Evil?
I'd like to know what qualifies you to say that, and i do know one former Iran citizen who would argue against you on the idea.
My view provides examples sir, your view only seems capable of attacking mine while providing no original substance of it's own.
now can we please get back on topic....in my OP i state that i just don't see this being successful, and i call on users to give their opinion as to what could help to establish communication between countries. It was a post to ask WHAT MIGHT WORK to help, not a hate thread.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   

"If i'm painting with a broad brush so to speak it is only because as a whole that is how it shakes down sir, not out of hatred. the only thing i ever really hate is closed mindedness"

Im sorry if you can't see my logic and if you think I cant debate this rationally. You were the one sounding closed minded in your OP, everything about it sounded like you knew very little about Iran and even their absolute right to fear america, afterall the USA has really screwed them over before and would do it again.

By saying that you don't think one could hold a normal conversation with an Iranian citizen due to their 'anti-americanism' then your bias and bigotry, (or is it just ignorance?) shines through. The holocaust really didn't seem to happen as we have been told, in fact it has been abused by the americans and jewish heirarchy to attack, murder and steal land and further 'the elites' personal wealth and goals.

I'm not going to debate you too much because if you re-read your first post you may get where I am coming from.

Oh, don't get me wrong I think peace phones are a good idea. But your fear of hearing someone tell you how bad america is just tickled me.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I think you don't know much, therefore your thread is kind of silly!

If you actually went to Iran, you would find whole generations of cool kids and adults with western values & philosophy.

You know in Iran there's a lot of people doing the same things that we westerners do like: parties with boze & western dance music, watching forbidden (by the goverment) movies and art. The younger generations (adult's too) sharing very similar values with their western counterparts.

Satellite/Parabolic is also forbidden but almost every family has access to watch the forbidden international news & programs on TV.

Of course! all of these things are happening in underground movements, but it's very widespread and the goverment can't keep up controlling them all.

Most Iranians are a very well educated and informed people, knowing international politics and affairs even better than some of the western population.

Of course there are also by the goverment "brainwashed people" like in America - who's sippin' the goverment kool-aid & propaganda!

A regime change is wanted by many! but you always & only see the fanatical side protesting in the streets in western propaganda TV-news

But I'm sure if you went to Iran and spoke with the people, both young and old, you'd be surprised to find out that they are very similar to you - and sometimes even less ignorant than you!

So please deny ignorance! and please stop sterotyping people you don't know much about!

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by BigC2012

okay this IS better. now you have provided examples of what got you "tickled". While i do see what you are saying, i do not change anything i have said, maybe i am just "plumb ignorant". See, in the last part of that OP, maybe you missed where i say "i would love for these to work, a way to better communicate with them, but i do not see how practical this is, what doe s the rest of ATS think?" i am calling on a brainstorm of sorts to help this scenario out. I WANT better communication.
As for fear of seeing my country badly. Ummm, read some of my other posts before you say something that ridiculous. That's about as far from accurate as you could get with me. The Iranians are taught that the holocoust NEVER HAPPENED, not that it is not an accurate view, but that THOSE PEOPLE WERE NOT KILLED< IT NEVER HAPPENED. they are taught that we are evil, or "the great Satan" as their LEADER SAYS. The leader is the supposed voice of the nation right? While i do see how quickly the assumption that the leader is the general voice could go real bad, it can't be denied that his voice is at the very least what is encouraged, even if it is not the unshakeable belief of the whole. Could you argue that?
i'm totally willing to keep talking this over, but could you refrain from using words like hate thread, and ignorance?
I think i've proven that by reading the OP, it boils down to "HOW DO WE FIX THIS" not "THOSE STOOPID IRANIANS AND THEIR CRAZY IDEAS!"
i want peace just like you, so let's talk about how we fix opposing views like we have instead of attack eachother.
what do you say?
and yes i know they do similar things to us....what kind of person do you think i am? LOL. I never said they spend their evenings usually having family discussions about the various ways to make a car bomb or whatever. They are people just like us. WHO HAPPEN TO HATE US. (generally, more than not if you will) i'm asking how practical you believe these peace phones to be, and what could work to better the gap, that's it.
PLEASE give the whole hate and ignorance thing a rest.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Maybe it's a good idea after all.
If it gets away from the idea 'that all Iranians think about is revenge/Jooos/Jihad etc from 'The West's' slightly inaccurate viewpoint.

I've met around 60-70 Iranians from all walks of life and they are more into Journey,Frank Zappa,Designer suits and Corvettes then most British people.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

i'd really like to find more info about how the majority of the conversations are going. I admit i only have this one article to reference. But in that article, one of the translators simply states that the Iranians as a whole just will not listen. I still say that i believe the majority of Iranians would support action against the evil americans that we are. I have not seen anything yet referenced that says otherwise, but i have referenced things that support the idea.
Thanks for the input, i hope something DOES work to help diffuse this situation,.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
the fact still remains that this is a publicity stunt, a short tem circus with no long term goals. You cannot make something it is not just because it would be a better world if it was!!!
that is what you guys seem to be missing here. By simply saying that Iran is a misunderstood diamond in the rough and the americans are the bad guys what are we left with? How is that making the threat of nuclear bombs killing us any less of a threat?
i appreciate the idealism, but that is NOT the issue here. These phones are a joke, they will do no good.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

"The Iranians are taught that the holocoust NEVER HAPPENED, not that it is not an accurate view, but that THOSE PEOPLE WERE NOT KILLED< IT NEVER HAPPENED. they are taught that we are evil, or "the great Satan" as their LEADER SAYS. The leader is the supposed voice of the nation right?"

See. this is where I want you to stop and think.

You are broadly painting the entire Iranian population and telling ME what THEY are taught, even though you admit you know little about them and this is the only article you have read on this idea.

1. The holocaust is up for debate as it has been used as a tool to further political/imperial goals.

2. If their leader says one thing, does that mean the 60 million citizens all repeat the same, not likely. Just think about it. You admit it doesnt work in america, extend that thought to other nations.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Double post oooops

[edit on 3-3-2009 by BigC2012]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I think that would depend on how 'private' these phone locations and conversations are.

Dumb example =

A big red phone linked to America in a town square controlled by militant Iranians with large guns.
There might be 80% 'liberally minded' locals,who wouldn't dare engage in polite discourse with 'the enemy' of these militants.
Leaving only the disgruntled minority.

But isn't that always the case world wide anyway?The silent majority?

Takeaway the worlds politicians and you'd find there'd be less 'silence'

Yay!!! I vote for never voting again.

Anarchy for all..but in a happy way.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

okay...you didn't use the whole quote...c'mon at least play by the rules. "while i admit that saying the leader is the unshakeable voice of the nation can go bad quickly, it is at the very least what is encouraged."
that is a fact. Prove me wrong. i never admitted i know little about them. In fact the one i do know from Iran would agree with me on much of this. That is just how things are. Like i said before, we can't make something it's not just because it's prettier that way. I wish i was wrong. But i'm not i don't think. I think The way you would just have them be totally misunderstood is irresponsible and not helping us be a safer state of being. is Iran a hostile nation or a peaceful nation? not how they are towards america, but just generally, are they a threat? are they working at all towards a peaceful solution to their energy needs with the UN? Blame America for all of it. how does that fix anything at all? i want to find a way to honestly talk about how we fix this with REAL ANSWERS to TOUGH QUESTIONS.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
If this thread isn't removed due to T and C violation, I'm pretty sure there's some corrupt favoritism going on here. Oh wait.... I am positive of that already.

You can talk # about Iran just fine, but try posting about social/political movements that are anti-establishment and directed at the states. Try doing it.

Try making this site socially relevant for change, and you're blocked..... but try posting mean-spirited jokes about people from another country, hey no problem there.

Hypocrisy and the people who love it.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by dunwichwitch

??????
goodness. I AM anti establishment for the record. Lookit some of my other posts. Fact is, most Iranians will support action against the US. Fact is, that troubles me, because i happen to live in the Target zone, very close to the famous redstone arsenal which would likely be a big bullseye. Fact is, these phones are a ridiculous, idealistic publicity stunt for people who have no real connection to how our world works to believe in. Fact is, we are living in a battleground gentleman, i hate it as much as you do. But why can't we have some realistic ideas on how to help it instead of pretending that the majority of them are just oppressed and really would love to come give us a hug.
c'mon people. As for the T&C, you are the only one who broke it by negotiating the way around a swear word with symbol (#) but whatever, i'm not trying to make this anything besides the issue at hand, if that one guys joke is distracting from this, then i am going to take it out. okay?
seems like everyone wants to talk about anything EXCEPT the origional question at hand.
i'll fix it, then you guys can find something else to cry about.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enigma Publius

You said:

"is Iran a hostile nation or a peaceful nation? not how they are towards america, but just generally, are they a threat? are they working at all towards a peaceful solution to their energy needs with the UN?"

Sorry but this was funny! what happens if you play around with this a little?

is 'AMERICA' a hostile nation or a peaceful nation? not how they are towards the world, but just generally, are they a threat? are they working at all towards a peaceful solution to their energy needs with the UN?

Please! for your own sanity! stop believin' in goverments propaganda!

They are often trying to paint you a picture so they can sell to you - their fabricated lies!

Welcome to the world of propaganda!

[edit on 3-3-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

does america have an active program to produce nuclear weapons with the already said intent of using them? No. And what happened in Hiro does not affect this, because that was the past, and hopefully humanity has progressed past having to resort to such things ever again. that is what i was getting at. Iran signed an agreement to NOT DO WHAT THEY ARE CURRENTLY DOING. They are lying to us, and smiling when you guys swallow the pill they give you. Do you think Iranians are as open minded about this as most of us would be? Honestly?
Would i try to talk to the average Iranian citizen to establish some kind of connection?
Of course.
However, i do not think that as many of them would give it as fair a chance. That's it, simple. I'd like to see ANYTHING, any SCRAP of information you can find, that suggests otherwise. Go ahead, I'll wait.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enigma Publius
reply to post by Chevalerous

does america have an active program to produce nuclear weapons with the already said intent of using them? No. And what happened in Hiro does not affect this, because that was the past, and hopefully humanity has progressed past having to resort to such things ever again. that is what i was getting at. Iran signed an agreement to NOT DO WHAT THEY ARE CURRENTLY DOING. They are lying to us, and smiling when you guys swallow the pill they give you. Do you think Iranians are as open minded about this as most of us would be? Honestly?
Would i try to talk to the average Iranian citizen to establish some kind of connection?
Of course.
However, i do not think that as many of them would give it as fair a chance. That's it, simple. I'd like to see ANYTHING, any SCRAP of information you can find, that suggests otherwise. Go ahead, I'll wait.

You know! you can't go back an do an edit to fresh up your original post like you just did!

By doing so the impressions of the many answers you already received will look awkwardly and out of context!

The examples of the conversations you now edited out belongs there to have context of the posted answers!

And btw! I feel sorry for you if you think that most of the Iranians hate Americans! maybe you should give them a call and see for yourself before sippin' the propaganda kool-aid!

I can promise you that many of the Iranians doesn't hate Americans - but I'm sure most of them dislikes the American policies towards Iran, and dislikes what the American administration/goverment did to them earlier in history. But that is not the same as hate for the American people as persons.

But then you have the 50% brainwashed fanatics among the Iranian population in the streets who's sippin' their islamic goverment kool-aid protesting and are showing their anger against America.

And I can agree that they are really annoying, but so are many of the brainwashed Europeans & Americans who are defending all their goverment propaganda and agendas as well!

All we can hope for soon is a democratic regime change in Iran by the Iranian people themselves!

When I was young in the middle of the 70's I visited Iran when my dad did some work for an European company there, and I met a very kind & cool people that were very nice to me and my family - so I know there are also a lot of nice people over there!

And we don't have any proof yet of that the Iranians wants anything else than just the nuclear powerplats for energy, that they are building.

And I personally really don't care what Israel want or doesn't want!

I think America should stop defending Israels business, but we all know that isn't going to happen since Israel have to much influence on American politics and economy, which in it self, is rather unfurtunately!

And for this I could use the quote of you! ->

"However, I do not think that as many of them would give it as fair a chance. That's it, simple. I'd like to see ANYTHING, any SCRAP of information you can find, that suggests otherwise. Go ahead, I'll wait.
"

[edit on 3-3-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I dont know if the phones are the best way, though its one idea, if the costs would be non-existant. I have thought that we should have websites and forums that were free, advertisement paid, for international communties to development, friendships, translators, and whole media sharing sections, including citizen sharing local news and culture. There could be sections where school age children development and work on joint projects.

Preferably without religion being discussed.

But definately a good portion for conpsiracies!!!!

The world needs to be closer to each other, and truly develop a sense of how similar and decent other people truly are, and how much they love their children.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by mystiq]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join