It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Qantas A380s temporarily grounded

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Reading Flight tonight, and all three Qantas A380s were temporarily grounded for fuel related issues. Two of them had totalizer issues, while the third had a fuel leak and nosewheel steering issue. They were flying 747s to cover for them. All three were expected to be back in service by tomorrow.

www.flightglobal.com...

While problems are to be expected with the planes as they get into service, this has to hurt having all of them grounded for one airline. Even if it's just a couple of days. Hopefully this won't be a recurring issue with any other planes and will be a one time issue.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Yeah its kind of odd that these things came up all at once.

THere have not been alot of reports of MRO related issues so for a new plane its not doing too badly.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
From everything I've heard it's been a good plane so far. Only one AD issued to date about the engines. I just find it interesting that all three of these suffered fuel system related issues at the same time. Makes me wonder if QA slipped up a little on these particular birds.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
It was probably all sabotage by a covert Boeing agent ! Trying to make the Airbus look bad and improve sales of their own plane.

well....this is ATS after all =)

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
The AD was related to RR trents.... and now a fuel issue onan RR powered plane....

hmmmmm

that and RR egnine problems on the trip 7`s

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Not surprising, considering it's Qantas we're talking about.

Worst airline in the Asia Pacific region. Bar none.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

You would think that these would have shown up by now. I thought the last 777 issue was a GE engine? If they all are Trents, and a pattern is developing, then that really needs to be looked into then.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

The problems that I know of were Trent engines. There were at least two reported, both involving Trents. The second was a Delta with Trent 895 engines out of Atlanta in December. The GE and P&W engines aren't susceptible to the same problem because they use a different heat exchanger.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaNine

Pretty big statement there.

Is that just your opinion or do you have anything to back that claim up with?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

I work at an airport and I often fly with them (because all my air points are tied up with them). They're often late because of mechanical problems, they blatantly lie to passengers, their customer service is shocking, etc etc.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

I work at an airport and I often fly with them (because all my air points are tied up with them). They're often late because of mechanical problems, they blatantly lie to passengers, their customer service is shocking, etc etc.

At least their safety record is pretty good. (until recently I guess)

Surely there are some cut price Asian airlines that would be worse?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Their safety record? If mean they don't have things exploding in the cargo holdall the time then yeah

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DeltaNine

That's why I put the until recently in brackets

They are having a bit of a bad run lately, cutting costs doesn't help that either.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Regardless, they STILL have the best safety record of any airline out there. They may have had maintenance related issues lately, but they have never had a fatal accident in all the years they have been flying at Qantas. Regardless of how you feel about them, or what they do, that's a hell of a safety record.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Lyell Strambi said that the cause was fuel probe contamination. They don't know what caused it, but this is at least the 5th grounding due to fuel related problems since October of 2007 when they entered service. He said it was too early to tell if it was a design problem, or not. Except for the two with the same problem in this grounding the other three were unrelated problems.

February 08- SIA had a relay to the fuel pump go bad.
March 08- SIA had a premature failure of a fuel pump.
March 09- Qantas had a fuel leak with first aircraft.
March 09- Qantas had contaminated probes in the other two aircraft.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
The safety record of Qantas is exceptional and anyone who trise to tell you otherwise is simply wrong.

Qantas was a lead airline in the implementation of Flight Operation Quality Assurance (FOQA) in 1988 and helped develop the Quick Access Recorder (QAR), which monitors 120 parameters. Qantas have been invovled in the design of the Boeing 747, 767, 777, and 787 along with the A380. Qantas devloped ETOPS (Extended Twin OPerationS), with their 767-200ER fleet in the 1980's. Qantas were leading in the introduction of FANS, which is an air navigation system hich uses ACARS for Satellite based communications. Qantas was first to introduce the Rockwell Collins Multi Scan radar on it's 747; the radar is able to calculate the intensity of the ice content of thunderstorms at 40,000 feet by scanning the entire cloud from sea level, up.

Oh, and speaking of cost cutting, please explain to me why Qantas is one of five airlines which carry a second officer on long sectors. Explain Why they were first to implement GLS (GPS Landing System). Explain why they peer review all manufacturer and regulartor airworthiness directives; to ensure work is done. Furhtermore, Qantas has recently exceeded one million engine hours since last engine In FLight Shut Down (IFSD), on each of it's twin engine fleets (767-300, 737, A330), which together have had 400,000 revenue departures and 1.5 million engine hours with Qantas.

In the case of the GE CF6 on the 747, 767 and A339, IFSD rate is currently ZERO, and averages over 20 years, it is 0.0015/1000 - less than 1/3rd of the world fleet rate, and less than 1/10 of the maxumum allowed for ETOPS 180 operations (0.02/1000 hours). Qantas has numerous engineering departments designed to prevent accidents; one example, is a borescope procedure to detect blocked oil jet nozzles.

The media are a bunch of clueless idiots, and should be ignored on prinicple on ANY aviation related matterl; and this includes the so called 'experts' on shows like 'Air Crash Investigation' who usually rant about 'the cost of doing business' and 'cost cutting'. You work at an airport? What do you do? Bad experiences are common for any passenger, for any airline...

If there are any fuel problems with the A380, I presume it's because of teething issues and a new design. In my opinion, unless we can compare the occurancy of the fuel problems with airliner airliners, it's simply meaningless. If there is any issue engineering should find a way to solve it; taking planes out of service is EXPENSIVE.

[edit on 3/3/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

If this was aimed at me I was actually defending QANTAS's safety record.

My comment regarding cut backs was based on what I heard in the media, so I thank you for setting the record straight there.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

All airliners had teething problems upon entry into service. But to see so many of the same types of problems with so few planes involved, that's when you should start to look at other things. That many of the same type of problems with so few planes in service COULD mean something more than just teething problems.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Woah that rant rivals my usuals

Anyway, yes they have the technology. Yes, they do all that stuff but it still doesn't make them a good airline.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

You may not think that they're a good airline, but not being a good airline is completely different than having a bad safety record, which you also said. Their safety record is impeccable. You don't get much better than 0 fatal accidents since start up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join