It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slumdog Millionaire Kids are Back in Slums and Devastated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I find this article extremely disturbing. These kids in Slumdog Millionaire were paraded in LA at the Oscars, brought to Disney Land, and then brought back to their original slums in Mumbai. They are having a difficult readjusting to their poverty stricken lives. They see now that living in a slum is not humane and they want more money than what they were paid for being the Best Picture film. I can't say that I blame them.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
They had a big debate on this on npr. And I am still on the fence about it. For one, it was helpful because it has brought attention to the conditions. But have these children been adquately compensated for their role? But they have been compensated, what they agreed too. And for most, it was more then they would earn in years. Is the movie really responsible for getting these kids out of poverty? Or was it like any other business, you got paid for work and the work is done.

The question is how responsible are the producers? And both sides make sense.
I am a softie and can't stand to see children suffer. On the other hand, they were not harmed, given their due. And received far more then they would of ever previously.

So....I dunno.

I have not seen the movie though I would like too. Was it made by Disney?
if so then it doesnt surprise me. The Disney corp is the iron fist in the three fingered glove.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I was under the impression the director of the film bought their families homes and the Indian government said they would be going to school.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Yes but theyre still living in substandard conditions- sleeping on cardboard boxes- with little protection from the rain and sun- total 3rd world poverty. I just think its wrong to dangle luxory infront of these little childrens eyes and then force them to go back to that. I do think it is the responsibility of the producers to atleast ensure, due to the success of the film, that the children and their families are provided for and atleast can buy a house. Atleast...

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
A taste of riches can be tragic.

When I was younger, I went to school with some of the richest people in the world. I wish it were an exaggeration but its not. My family, worked as janitors part time, and instead of pay, my schooling was paid for. It was embarrussing and disheartening when I learned just how much below my classmates I was. I mean, I just remember going to this one girl's house when I was really young and being suprised to find she had a movie theatre and a bowling ally in her house-- and this was not abnormal, more the rule than the exception.

And as much as I resent knowing what wealth is, and even living with some of these people at times, I can't help but now strive for more than I had.

I think seeing this world is good for them, and will encourage them to strive for something more. Though I have seen first hand how painful it can be to realize that not having food in the cupboard isn't normal.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Just to add what I was saying-- I think there is no reason that they should be taken care of permenantly or bought houses unless promised it. Giving charity (which is essentially what happend, as I am sure perfectly good American actors would have happily filled the roles) does not require future charity. It is funny how selfish people can be. They grab and grab, forgetting that they aren't entitled to handouts.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
They aren't living in cardboard boxes-

They will be Slumdogs no more.
The two kid actors who broke our hearts in the Academy Award-winning "Slumdog Millionaire" are being moved out of their miserable Mumbai ghetto into real homes with roofs and doors and walls.
Rubina Ali and Azharuddin Ismail, who played the young versions of the two main characters, won't have to worry about paying the mortgage - their new digs are free. "These two children have brought laurels to the country," said Gautam Chatterjee, head of Mumbai's housing authority.
So for 10-year-old Azharuddin, it's goodbye to the tarp by a busy road that was his family home. And for 9-year-old Rubina, it's goodbye to the one room shack she shared with her family.

link

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I was homeless when I was offered some "extra" work in a couple of movies.

I was paid for my time for a few incidental background shots and then they moved on with production.

I was still homeless, living out of a backpack.

Are you implying that I should have been given more than just a paycheck for my time?

Yes, I think it's terrible these kids were pulled out of their country and had the American Dream rubbed in their faces before going home. It's a terrible, terrible thing to do to a child - especially at an age where such a series of events naturally lead to the expectation of having changed their lives forever.

It's not fair, and it's not humane.

But sadly - that's how the industry works.

"Hey kid, you've got talent."

*commence to use said talent for the project*

"Thanks kid. We'll have our people call your people."

That's just how it goes.

Now, on the BRIGHT side of this whole thing (and bear with me here, because I'm getting to it) the more this article gets around, the more that people are exposed to this sort of behavior within their beloved entertainment industry - the MORE conscientious observers will take the time, and money out of their pockets to help the overall cause of poverty striken children in other countries. Right?

That's the "theory" of it anyway.

Meanwhile, as a matter of course, has anyone here sent a check off to help with childrens charities in this region?

Maybe done some social work to help build up their country?

Just curious, and bless you if you have....but we can sit around and discuss the insidious nature of the american money machines all day and it won't really change anything.

Any links to some advocacy sites?

*edit = spelling

[edit on 3/4/09 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I like that point that people complaining these kids aren't justly compensated aren't doing much for them either.

If you watched the movie, and you think they are being treated so bad, you at least have a responsibility to offer these kids the money they have the 'right' to before you criticize Hollywood who already handed them money and given them exposure many Americans could only dream of.

top topics

join