It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible trojan while browsing ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Hello ATS.

I'm very tired at the moment so i'm going to be brief

I thought I'd let you guys know that i just now recieved a trojan while browsing through the ATS forums. I've been at my computer all day (which by the way has been completely free of malware for god knows how long), and all of a sudden i start recieving a million popups. This kind of surprised me, since i haven't experienced popups since like... the 90s.

Anyway, as i haven't done anything else than browse the ATS forums all day, and since it was what i was doing at the time of infection, i feel it's quite possible it originated from here. I'm aware that trojans can spread through external ads such as flash banners, which would seem likely considering the amount of advertisement on ATS.

I did a little research on the trojan and noticed the popups were linking to a site called gomyhit.com. Looked it up in Symantec's virus database, which returned two possible hits: "Trojan.Virantix.B" or "Trojan.Fakeavalert".

Oh, and the trojan injects itself into iexplore.exe, as in Internet Explorer. If anyone else should get it, the best you can do is to close down all IE windows while scanning your computer with an anti-virus software.

Just thought I'd let the staff and members know. You might want to take a look at what's in those ads.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
i have been using ATS on about 4 different machines.
mostly with mozzila firefox.
I did not have a concrete evidence on this until the other day when i was sitting on one of my pc s wich has norton 360 installed. This particular pc is rarelly used for browsing and for ages its not been used to any other site other than ATS and a few links through ATS.
What NORTON points out is that about once a day a tracking cookie must be removed. It even shows which sites the cookie is originates and is related to.
Next time i will post the contents of the analysis.
I think this is not due to ATS but rather the embeded adverts and is not purposefull on ATSs behalf.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Yeah, it is most likely the advertisements. It happens now and then, i remember a few months ago there was a security issue with flash, where an exploit was being used to install keyloggers on people's machines through flash banners. Something similar could be going on here.

And ofcourse I did not mean to say that ATS is spreading trojans, because that is not the case (atleast not to my knowledge, hehe).

[edit on 2-3-2009 by Deran]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
are both you guys using norton? If so, it may be the case that norton is false flagging something. or, it is very good. hehe.

I use Kaspersky, and have no problems. Having just checked the reports also.

anyhow, thanks for the heads up, just incase. :-).

take care
Wayne

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
i mostly use eset s nod32 light and practical but that one pc i reffered is using norton 360

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

for sure, nod32 is one of my top 2, along with kaspersky.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I use Nod32 aswell. I started a scan, but it's taking a long time because i've got all the advanced options running (want to be sure everything gets scanned thoroughly). So far it hasn't found the trojan, but it looks like i'm beating it to it. I've already identified the virus and am going to remove it in a sec.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
My quick guess having read very little,the virus is probably a strain of Vundo

Annoying and everywhere. Good news is, tons of resources on removal all over google.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Yesterday, I had a virus pop up when I was in the video & media section viewing UFO footage. My norton caught it.

Let's face it, a$$holes will always find new exploits to get their jollies...
If only they could use their mad programming skills for something good.

I am quite certain that ATS has nothing to do with this and they are most likely already on it ! Top notch owners/admin/staff !

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
There have been other members who reported the same thing, but it all has to do with a spyware program already on the user's computer. I would suggest running a spyware scanner first, and seeing if it detects anything. If it doesn't find anything, then you should see if you can recreate the alert, write down any of the warning information you find including which advertisement was blocked, and then send it to SkepticOverlord.

Do you remember which advertisement gave you the warning?

Here is a thread dealing with the same matter, to which solutions were presented to the original poster.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on Tue Mar 3rd 2009 by DJMessiah]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I ran into problem like this at another site, the person said vist some site, and I thought oh, bugs.
So I wen't to check out his profile, bam got me, it was harmless bug, but annoying.
Would like to have been able to get his home address and go over and knock on his head to see if anyone is home.
But I must admit I'm working on virus program myself, once launched it will link everyones PC into one giant master brain computer, which will destroy entire world. But I am only doing this for good of humanity, not to mess up someones puter.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Deran

Thanks for pointing this out Deran.

I've got Norton Security Suite and havn't had any probs with ATS that I know of.

Btw, thanks for the wall comment "working those Angels". Good one. I saw the Time Machine show last month.

Blew my mind how good the new stuff is.

Respectfully,
Ot

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Overtime

I am curious as to why you are replying to a thread from 20 months ago. Do you
really think this trojan is still lurking around? Just asking...

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by endtimer

Long story short: Derran put a comment on my profile so I went and checked out his threads and this was the one on top. Didn't look at the date so thanks! Glad to know this isn't current. Btw, what are you doing on this old thread?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Please use the COMPLAINT FORUM for further technical issues you have allegedly from this site.

Thank you.

Closed.

join