It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegetarianism - Good or bad

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by XyZeR

Hehe, if you refer to me, I did not take it serious, and that is the problem!

I am just so tired of people acting "smart", steal bandwidth and contribute with nothing but crap onto good threads.

The fight is on, I know and I like a good debate, but at least give us something to bite... Can't the trolls at least lie better?

I demand newer and better trolls at ATS!
These are getting OLD!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Raud

More personal attacks ...

Don't waste everybody's time

This is off-topic, which violates T&C

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I've been a vegetarian for twenty-one years and enjoy better health than my carnivore friends. I'm not the preachy veggie type and live with a carnivore, so I really don't mind it at all. What really gets my rag is when people say "so, what do you eat then?" or "so, you're a vegetarian huh?" and attempt to prove to me that man is supposed to be a raging carnivore, when I have two decades of debate experience on the subject.

Eat how your conscience allows.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mithrawept

Hrm...

Slight correction; a carnivours eats their meat straight from the kill, while it is still warm, and they eat it raw.
Humans don't do that, our system is not adapted to have raw meat like the system of a carnivour.
We eat meat that has been dead for some time, even for month on end.
That makes us scavengers at best. Vultures kind of.

Many people hide behind the notion that eating meat is "cool" in some way because they are "predators".
Well, they are not.

Go eat a road kill.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mithrawept

I think it is PETA, celebrities and the rather far left that gives vegetarianism a bad name. Even I think of Democrats when I hear the word vegan. I think the movement needs to divorce itself from the far left fringe to be taken seriously. I do not know of any Republican who is a vegan (personally).

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Navieko
-- I remain someone who strives for spiritual progress/self realization. No religion. My reasons for staying vegetarian have now become more about ethics. Since I've long proven to myself I don't need to, why should I?

However note that if I was to 'go bush', as I plan on doing at some point, or if I'm ever in a survival situations -- ......I'm also very knowledgeable however about the available bush tuckers (plants, yams, tubers etc) and would still keep any meat eating to an absolute necessary requirement.

[edit on 2/3/09 by Navieko]

Navieko! that's fantastic, sounds like me. I was Pescetarian for almost 2 yrs, but was not strict enough with my diet, and the smell of cooked meat became yummier and yummier, because, I theorise, I was lacking something in my diet. So at the moment Im eating seafood, moo cow every now and then, very rare chicken, no other meats. I'll go veg again I think, and not be half arse about it this time. ... I lived bush for 1 1/2 yrs, but hunted at woolworths lol.

Navieko, I want to learn what rainforest foods I can eat, I know only those blue things (quandongs?), stinging tree fruit, and animals. The first person I find speaking about bushtucker, and not only is he fellow Aussie, but from QLD too, ITS A SIGN. lol, anyway, I can't find anything useful on the internet, just clap trap companies trying to sell me "rainforest food" or, sites that list bush tuker from arid areas or beach land. Can you tell me of (sources of) rainforest food,,?, thx,,,,,,,, Ink

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Inkrinhuminge

Try mushrooms and other hearty type veggies (eggplant). They have a meaty texture and will help with the cravings for meat. There are many varieties of mushrooms out there to try.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mithrawept
I've been a vegetarian for twenty-one years and enjoy better health than my carnivore friends. I'm not the preachy veggie type and live with a carnivore, so I really don't mind it at all. What really gets my rag is when people say "so, what do you eat then?" or "so, you're a vegetarian huh?" and attempt to prove to me that man is supposed to be a raging carnivore, when I have two decades of debate experience on the subject.

Eat how your conscience allows.

Good Point! ...some food for thought goes a long way........

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
This page says it all:
michaelbluejay.com...

...and, just like the owner of that site, I really don't want to discuss. I am convinced that we should be pure vegetarian, as a matter of fact, more than that: I am planning to switch completely to only fruit, vegetable and nuts. I don't think grains are natural source of food for us either.

Best of wishes to everyone.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008
reply to post by Raud

The argument has nothing to do with the afterlife, but enjoying life. If someone likes being a vegan, more power to them. I am stating to the others so worried about diets that they do not enjoy food or even life. I also believe in modesty, as I do not eat meat every day. I love broccoli and cauliflower and most other veggies. I also enjoy a greasy bacon cheeseburger. I like a variety of foods, and since I have a handicap, I do not get to enjoy much.

I too, am against pollution, and to state that I am against Mother Earth because I eat meat is illogical. The animals are raised for food. The environment does need protecting, but to end all meat production would create more problems than solve. I would also buy venison from a deer hunter, and use that meat for my cheeseburgers (I guess you are opposed to hunting and would prefer the overpopulated deer just starve to death). Man is an omnivore, and always was one.

You can call me selfish all you want, as I will eat what I enjoy and not feel guilty about it.

The meat industry is the most polluting industry of all in concerns to C02. It also is responsible for the most fresh water pollution, and not to mention accounts for having the most habital land consumption at 1/3 of surface area, according to that UN report.

And as a former wilderness guide of the sweeping terrain of Utah, I've never in my life seen "deer overpopulation." I sure have heard about it when deer season comes around, but have never seen the evidence, especially not on BLM land. The only time nonmigrant animals have a tough time finding food is in harsh winters and even then, they're not all competing for the same small patch of grass.

Our actions, even little things like diet DO have a profound impact on the environment, regardless of who we are or what diet we do or do not subscribe to. Its all about how far we go as individuals to lessen our impact.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by misuneko
reply to post by Blaine91555

Vegans can take B12 suplements Veg1 its called, also algue has B12. We can get everything from plants to survive, there are lots already to prove this to date.. we do not need to eat meat to get all our nutriants.

Eating meat causes a barbaric society I believe, we as humans need to give meat up to allow us to become "ligher" beings and only digest "light" food, not dead flesh that holds the emotions of the animal.

Yuk.

The B12 and the algae are both two things but as far as my understanding goes it does not have the same iron properties as red meat. In other words you absorb a well required dose of iron only through red meat. Green vegetables, legumes and iron tablets are not the same amount of iron included that is in red meat. Nor will fish or poultry, have the same absortion level which is mainly relatively quite high in red meat It is the blood in meat that enriches the iron content that which gives the adequate level of iron in the blood stream. This is why women are particuarly susceptible during menstruation, and so it is quite possible to retain a lot of problems -due to a lack of iron absortion in their diets.

[edit on 19-3-2009 by embedded]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
On my last note I am in no way implying that you should not be a vegetarian- This I believe is up to the "individual" -each to their own, I have not mentioned my personal opinion on the matter. -Just outlined an ongoing problem that has been an issue for women regarding iron problems.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by vcwxvwligen

Plus, vegetarians must use vitamin supplements, which is something I don't take well to, either.

The only supplements a vegan or vegetarian would need to take is
a B-complex, just like everyone else!

When done properly, a vegan diet will supply all the same vitamins, minerals
and nutrients as an omnivorous diet.

This has been proven by independent research but I won't even link to it
because I know no one here will accept it since they haven't done the research themselves.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by holyTerror

People can get all the nutrients, proteins and starches from veggies. Beans are a great source of protein; peas and corn are starches. Bananas themselves provide what many multivitamin supplements give people.

While I am not a vegan, I do know one can get all their nutritional needs from the wide variety of veggies out there without vitamins supplements.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

I did not mean to confuse anyone and should of stated the overpopulation of deer in forest preserves near cities and suburbs. I should of been more clear when I wrote the statement.

It is true most cattle (and other) farming produce a lot of pollutants for the environment. I think they should develop greener ways for meat and other farming, which is being done. However, it should be noted that one volcanic eruption will spew more pollutants in the air than man can produce in a decade.

Also, plants do need carbon dioxide to survive. It is not a pollutant, and too many of the fringe environmental group have demonized this life giving gas. I am for planting shade trees, which will absorb most of the CO2 we produce.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I spent about a year as a vegetarian and that ended a few months ago. I'm living in Europe for a while and it is pretty close to impossible to do it over here and get a reasonable of variety in your diet.

I did it as a last ditch effort to lower my cholesterol. I have a ton of family history and no matter what I was doing, it kept going up. Rather than go on the statins, I decided to do one last bit and cut out the meat. I ate seafood, dairy and eggs throughout, but very few eggs (2-3 a month).

I immediately felt much better. Slept better, far less sluggish, clearer head and certainly no post meal food coma. I also found that there is a ton of great things to eat and that in the US, it is very easy to adopt the diet and still have a lot of diverse, great tasting food. I did not miss meat or poultry at all. Missed bacon, but bacon is different!

After a year, my cholesterol went up again. Genes are often unkind. That being said, when I get back to the US, I will again stop eating meat and poultry. I will also start the Lipitor.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
i have a question for those that have switched to vegetarianism - have you noticed any difference in your dreaming abilities?? like, have you dreamed more, or less?

are you dreams different in any way?? for example, when i stopped drinking iced tea, which contains lots of fluoride apparently, i began to not only remember my dreams better, but they were also much more vivid and more "movie-like"...

i've heard that meat affects the pineal gland somewhat, and am considering going vegetarian for a month as an experiment for dreaming...

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by adrenochrome

I have been keeping a dream journal for three years now and my dreams tend to be very vivid.(Like you said almost movie like.) I can usually remember up to three separate dreams a night. Now this could be because I have trained and worked with my brain so I am able to recall my dreams easier or it can have something to do with being Veg*n??? Who knows. I would be very interested in knowing if you abstain from animal products for a month what impact it would have on your dreams.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by fishneedh2o

yeah i tend to be involved in at least 3 different "films" per night, too, and sometimes they intertwine to make for some amazing, interesting plots! but that's a whole other thread though...

i sometimes have control in my dreams, but not nearly as much as i'd like... i'm wondering if going vegetarian would change that...

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by holyTerror
The only supplements a vegan or vegetarian would need to take is
a B-complex, just like everyone else!

The B-complex craze is just another wave of pharmaceutical propaganda. You should get your B-complex -- and all nutrients, for that matter -- from food and the enviornment. The vitamins in supplements are not real vitamins, they are merely artifical chemicals produced in a lab which behave like real vitamins.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join