It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obese woman told to undergo MRI scan at Zoo

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
www.livenews.com.au...

Now they are sending people who are to overweight to the zoo to have MRI scans

She is 5 feet tall and weighs 125 Kilograms 275 pounds

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Ms Ragan eventually found an open MRI machine that could hold her but said her search was frustrating and embarrassing.

well..........who's fault is that then?

so should we all pay that bit extra for our mri's so really big people don't need to be embarrased by their self inflicted conditions?

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I predict the next chapter in this story will be two-ton tessie will file a lawsuit for being humiliated.

I bet she's not too humiliated to walk in McDonald's and ask to be Supersized.

When people eat enough to feed four ranch hands they should expect to face some consequences.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Well honestly, having had a few of these myself.
They could make the darn thing you lie on a little bigger.
Im 6 foot and 90 kilo's and I almost fall off the sides.
But of course this person
125 kilo's and 5 feet

Most of her would not actually be on the table

The tables are only rated to 110 kilo's see so it would void the warranty if they let this mammoth mumma lie on it

I would like to see the zoo's one I wonder if its big enough to MRI an elephant.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I got to MRI all the time with intubated patients. 275lb? Ive had kids bigger than that int here. Im thinking she was more like 350+ Then you get into issues. Its really a tube you get slid into for those who have never seen one.

If you dont fit, you dont fit.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
You know something, in view of other recent threads that are depicting hatred against overweight people, who are not overweight 9/10 from supersized burgers and in fact, usually eat less than the average folk, but suffer from health problems of a variety that will be visiting your homes or homes near you soon, I am absolutely shocked and offended at the level of comments on here. All people have the right to the same quality of health care services and this thread is getting a minus in its mentality.

Seems to be current amongst the new SS to pick on those with a weight problem. Wonder who will be next. Though I'm neither fat nor thin, I will be in the SS's face should they come for my neighbor if they fit whatever hit list they drag out of their fascist hip pocket. I will stand up for human rights, and that means everyone, all over this globe.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

OMG, some bleeding heart liberal... Lets just be honest. Most fat people are fat because they eat too much... Not because of some medical condition. I guess all those gigantic people at the buffet all have the same medical condition. Well I invented a cure for it. Its called sewing their mouths shut. Ok and just too give you a fair crack at me I am short. So let the short jokes begin. I will try not to let my little feelings get hurt.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
My local crematorium had a large fire about a year ago and it was reported in the local media as being faulty equipment.
But I spoke to 1 of the firemen that was at the scene & they said that out of respect to the dead persons family.

What had happened was that the deceased was a very large person & the fat in their body caused the fire to go out of control.
They now no longer cremate people over a certain weight.

It's a shame that we seem to be getting more overly obese people now than ever before.
As mystiq pointed out it's not always caused by peoples diets but by a number of medical factors.
I do think that most of the time diet & lack of exercise is the underlying factor.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
who are not overweight 9/10 from supersized burgers and in fact, usually eat less than the average folk, but suffer from health problems of a variety that will be visiting your homes or homes near you soon

oh right, and those are what exactly? can you please explain the biological mechanism by which somebody who consumes fewer calories than required becomes obese?

lack of exercise and bad diet are not a medical issue, they are a lifestyle choice.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
You know something, in view of other recent threads that are depicting hatred against overweight people, who are not overweight 9/10 from supersized burgers and in fact, usually eat less than the average folk, but suffer from health problems of a variety that will be visiting your homes or homes near you soon, I am absolutely shocked and offended at the level of comments on here. All people have the right to the same quality of health care services and this thread is getting a minus in its mentality.

Seems to be current amongst the new SS to pick on those with a weight problem. Wonder who will be next. Though I'm neither fat nor thin, I will be in the SS's face should they come for my neighbor if they fit whatever hit list they drag out of their fascist hip pocket. I will stand up for human rights, and that means everyone, all over this globe.

Fat people eat less than average folks? Absolutely not true.

Eating too many calories for our enery needs is the major cause of the modern obesity epidemic.

How many overweight people do you see in Africa or China?

edit to add: How did Fox News get the story in the first place? I would bet the couple contacted news media in attempt to hijack the medical facility with a lawsuit, as I stated in my original post.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by Bombeni]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I cannot believe the ignorance level here. First and foremost, you do not know the particulars of her condition.
People rant about equality but when it come to this subject, it's ok to poke fun?
what about the people with conditions and injuries that prevent them from losing weight or keeping it under control?

It's not easy to loose weight. If those who are ignorant had half a clue they would know this. But i guess when they were handing out brains, some of you turned side ways, and because you were so skinny, they missed you.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

Thank you!!

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by reticledc

I really didn't want to chime in again but I have to correct you, it IS easy to lose weight, ask anyone if Africa where they don't get enough calories to meet what they expend.

What's hard is pushing yourself away from the table.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

I don't know, seems I've seen quite a few fatties in Africa from vids, pics and documentaries.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Its sad that fat discrimination is so rampant here at ATS.

There are people with thyroid conditions that can consume less calories and still not lose weight due to the fact that the thyroid, which controls metabolism, is hypothyroid, which means not enough of the hormone the thyroid produces is produced. That is one instance in which a person could eat less and still gain weight. Then there are people that don't have a thyroid at all and are on synthetic hormones to replace what the body naturally makes. Its very difficult to get the right amount of medication to balance out the body and that leaves a person fighting to find the right amount of hormone to which the body can respond by gaining weight EVEN WHILE EATING LESS THEN ONE SHOULD EAT.

Being on steroids such as prednisone can make someone gain weight while eating less calories then normal.

There ya go, two examples. Now go learn something instead of being so hateful and discriminatory.

[edit on 3/2/2009 by Telafree]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Having an underactive thyroid can cause your immune system to slow down considerably which causes weight gain.
There are other conditions which can cause it but having a slow metabolism alone can cause weight problems in people.
I'm on the other end of the scale, I have a very fast metabolism & I find it very hard to put on weight regardless of how hard I try.

Edit I see Telafree beat me to it.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by mclarenmp4]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

Ok I'll bite. Go without electric for several months and still live in your home. Same type of discipline. It's not easy when you are psychologically conditioned to your environment, or you lifestyle.

I was in excellent shape pre 1997, Worked out 4 time a week and rode a bike for 3 hrs or more a day and worked a laborious job. I was 270 lbs of tank that ate 5 times a day to keep up energy.
Then I got hit by a car while riding my bike to work. numerous broken things and therapy. Surgeries and steroids. for a while i was still eating a lot, cause I was used to it, then one day I realized I was fat. I cut down to three squares a day. And maintained. I could not exorcise like I used to. so the lbs stayed on. I tried altering the diet, Starving, etc. But ended up feeling miserable from not eating. I once got so sick of myself from being overweight, and the pain and medication I was on, made me not hungry. I ate nothing for 2 entire weeks and only drank juices and water. I lost 75 lbs in 2 weeks. I was miserable.
When I ate solid food again, I did so slowly, but my metabolism had slowed. I am stuck. Unless I starve I cannot loose weight. Starving is not fun. When I tell you it's torture, I am not kidding.

Like I said, Go without electric for several months and still live in your home. And tell me you are not addicted to your lifestyle.

Well this ends this thread for me. I refuse to try to convince the world to have tolerance anymore. I will let the ignorant have their moment. One day I hope the tables are turned.
L8R
I hate this thread and wish I never read it.
GFY

[edit on 2/3/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
What about someone who suffers from arthritis in all of their joints from a rheumatic form(rheumatic forms of arthritis are caused by the immune system, NOT from overuse of joints) of arthritis. How would they be able to work out and lose weight when their joints fall apart when they are just normally walking?

There's another example of why someone might not be able to exercise and might gain weight even if their diet is filled with less calories.

There are so many instances, I'm sure I can keep finding them.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mclarenmp4

That's not uncommon and in some areas funeral homes will not cremate very obese people for that reason.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by reticledc

I hear you! I'm about 35 pounds overweight and have never been an overeater. When I cut calories I actually gain weight. I my weight fluctuates between 154-174 depending on certain factors and years but a lot of people overestimate it in the 200 plus range. I once went to a young doctor and had to manually adjust the weight bars to show her I weighed 156 pounds and not 210 like she thought!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join