It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Allows Right To Bear Arms In Places Of Worship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Hello, searched ATS and didn't find this ... thought some people may find this interesting ...

On February 11, Fox News reported that the Arkansas House of Representatives had "approved a bill allowing concealed handguns in churches, despite hearing arguments that lawmakers should put their faith in God, not guns." The bill, which easily passed in the House and is headed to the Senate, "removes churches and other houses of worship from the list of places where concealed handguns are banned," leaving only bars as "private entities where concealed weapons are banned."

Five days later, Jim Adkisson pled guilty to last year's shooting rampage inside the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church that killed two parishioners and wounded half-a-dozen others. In the coming years, other state legislatures will no doubt debate the wisdom of allowing churchgoers to carry weapons inside of churches. In the meantime, Jeff Hawkins, a former chief security officer for a world-wide Christian ministry, has founded the Christian Security Network (CSN), as a response to burgeoning violence against Christian churches, schools, ministries and missionaries. "Christian organizations - churches, schools, ministries and missionaries - still struggle with concept of security and how it applies, if at all, to their institution and the Christian community as a whole."

On their website, the Christian Security Network says that it's "a national organization dedicated to the advancement of security, safety, and emergency planning for Christian churches, schools, ministries, and missionaries."

Full Article Here

I think it's kind of interesting ... i think everyone should be able to carry a gun only for self defense in my opinion ... i guess this is a step in the right direction for the people who want people to be able to carry arms at all times ... what do you think?

[edit on 2-3-2009 by baseball101]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I agree with the post-unbanning situation.

Guns should be entirely allowed or banned based on the wishes of the owner of each establishment.

Bars are probably a good exception. Alcohol and firearms don't mix. Plus if you're wasted then you're probably not going to be able to defend yourself properly anyway irregardless of whether you are armed or not.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
here in pa. i can carry anywhere i want to with the exception of 3 places.
1) unlawful to carry a gun into a federal building (no exception period.)
2) schools- unless it is for educational or other lawful purposes(guess that is up to the courts to decide)
3) courthouses- but THEY MUST have a safe place for you to check your gun in before BEFORE you go thru the metal detector and as long as you declare it before you do
the only other places are ones that have a sign saying firearms are not allowed, but even then i have had people tell me that is not legally binding so not sure on that one

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Unfortunately that bill died in committee in the State Senate. The decision was made that the church is a sanctuary, therefore weapons should not be allowed.

Having said that, I know of several churches out here in the beautiful hills of north central AR where the majority of the congregation is packing.

new topics

top topics

join