It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this really "it" this time? Recession comparisons from the past

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by theWCH

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn
I try to talk to my teenage nieces and nephews and they still have their spoil, I am so entitled that my parents and the world owe me attitudes. I am almost glad that reality is going to slap them in the face.

Are you for real? "Glad!?!"

I lost my job, I eat once a day, and I am on the brink of getting evicted from a home in which the heat is locked in at 60 degrees (in Michigan, during the winter), and the shelter is full. I can only get on the internet when I'm at the library (which is often, because I have to use the internet as a tool to find job openings). I have a solid resume, a college education, and I am not a felon. Yet, even though I apply to 10 jobs a day, I have not found work -- and I apply for any job that becomes available within my area. So does everybody else. Everybody I know gets up in the morning and tries, and tries, and tries. Everyday, it doesn't work.

To be glad that my generation is receiving what you call a "slap in the face" is...well, that's just heartless. We weren't the ones who started this "borrow and spend" culture, we were only socialized by it.

But go ahead, moan about the young people if it makes you feel better.[edit on 2-3-2009 by theWCH]

I think you read something in my post that was not there.

I was not talking about well grounded young people that are trying to be productive and independent.

I was talking about “my” nieces and nephews and they are spoiled "teenagers" that have always relied on someone else to provide for them. They have grown up in a very privilege environment were I want is synonymous with I get. They are of the mind set that since they did not ask to be brought into this world their parents are duty bound to see to their every whim.

They have no concept of what it means to have to “earn” anything and they have less understanding of meaning of responsibility.

It appears that you are easily offended and that you may be bitter about your present situation for which you which to blame on the generation that preceded you. I can appreciate you anger and frustration but that does not change the fact that your post speaks of things that were not present in mine.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by pocamp

He would be right. What most of us are refering to would be what is still to come. The only thing that is worse right now is the abiltity to loan money.

But there is now way to cheat the numbers, and they will catch up to us soon.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by pocamp
reply to post by Bass9

Well I heard Rush Limbuagh say things where a lot better now then they where in 80s.

something about that statement seemed so wrong to me. How can a guy like that be so out of touch. Also. Not trying to jack your thread.

The fact he is worth hundreds of millions of dollars now and wasn't then might have something to do with it.

<< 1   >>

join