It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surprise Asteroid Makes Near-Miss of Earth

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Wow...... haven't seen this one yet.

Interestng quote from the article.

"Had 2009 DD45 hit the Earth, it would have exploded on or near the surface with the force of a large nuclear blast — not very reassuring when you consider humanity had only about three days' notice."

You never know when our time will come. Wasn't there a recenet post about some astroids spoted while looking tward the sun, this one may have been to small to notice.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Now just imagine how many we never see at all and just fly right by.

That has kept me awake at night.

There has been lots of these lately with ones also entering our atmosphere. Watch the skies.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
That would have made a crater between 1 and 30 miles wide depending on the speed. If it is indeed going to loop and come back, that means it is now caught in our gravity and will either hit or become a new moon. More likely hit, so the question is where?

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Have any of you considered the possibility that we have never gone to the moon? We have the hubble telescope that can see millions of miles and yet has never looked at the moon to show us the flag left there or the lunar modules?
NASA claims that we have lost the technology to go to the moon?

What do you think?

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Wow.

"According to the Australian news Web site Crikey, the asteroid is likely to be drawn in by Earth's gravity, meaning it may return for many more near misses in the future."

Think it's time to buy a hard hat.LOL.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I shouldn't worry to much, until they get a good idea of what it is made up of there is every chance that it would break up in the atmosphere. Most do this and for that we are lucky, if not our planet would look like the face of a 16 year old Burger King employee.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chance321
Wow.

"According to the Australian news Web site Crikey, the asteroid is likely to be drawn in by Earth's gravity, meaning it may return for many more near misses in the future."

Think it's time to buy a hard hat.LOL.

you don't say ? ! Call Bruce and hes crew, they get right on it ..
But, I bet there are more, and will be bigger too... Me not like !

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I know that there are many Near Earth Objects that are either hard to see, or impossible to see. Based on the shadows of the earth, trajectory coming from the sun, or being in some tragectory that does not allow us to see any reflected light.

I really find it hard to believe that this story is not being covered by any other news outlets.

This had the potential, and still may, to impact earth which would cause massive devistation. Even if it exploded in the atmosphere the resulting atmospheric distrubance from the 'nuclear type' explosion could very well alter the Ozone and cause UV rays and other contaminents from space, to reach the ground an alarming rates. If it hits the ground and is dense enough to not break up or loose much mass during descent, then it will really hurt us.

If this thing does come back, and is sucked in by our gravity, I have no doubt in my mind that it will cause some major issues. Heck, this may even be what 2012 is all about. If it comes back in 3 years, who knows, but I am sure we will get some published trajectory very soon.

But they may not tell us if it going to strike earth, but I hope they do.

Fry

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Here is a news article with some pictures and more detialed info on it.

Click

Discover edited the page to say 30 meter.

Click

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Looks like the next near(ish) pass will be in 2021.
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

Just a little guy. But it would be a nasty thing to have land in your yard. There really are lot of them out there, many of which have come a lot closer than this one.

www.cfa.harvard.edu...

[edit on 3/2/2009 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Have any of you considered the possibility that we have never gone to the moon? We have the hubble telescope that can see millions of miles and yet has never looked at the moon to show us the flag left there or the lunar modules?
NASA claims that we have lost the technology to go to the moon?

What do you think?

Personally I dont even believe the moons exists. However I do believe we have landed on it.

Here's a question though: whats the size threshold of an asteroid for it to burn up in our atmosphere or not? I guess it depends on the angle and speed as well, but if it were the size of a car is that too much for out atmosphere to burn up?

Also, what happens to the "stuff" that does burn up? If its all iron then does it melt to liquid and then to a gas? If so that is pretty amazing that a large rock can be completely turned into gas that quickly!

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by salsaking

Friction is very powerful.

­When a small ­meteor enters the Earth's atmosphere, it goes from traveling through a vacuum to traveling through air. Traveling through a vacuum is effortless -- it takes no energy. Traveling through air is another story.

A meteor moving through the vacuum of space typically travels at speeds reaching tens of thousands of miles per hour. When the meteor hits the atmosphere, the air in front of it compresses incredibly quickly. When a gas is compressed, its temperature rises. This causes the meteor to heat up so much that it glows. The air burns the meteor until there is nothing left. Re-entry temperatures can reach as high as 3,000 degrees F (1,650 degrees C)

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Larger objects (but not too large) typically breakup into a lot of little pieces which can make it to the ground. Last year's big one in Canada dropped a whole lot of little chunks.
www.universetoday.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I read that a couple weeks ago a Progress carying ISS trash was sent towards the atmosphere to burn up. It looks like this thing is over 20 feet long and I find it amazing it will completely burn up into nothing.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

It's unlikely that it will completely vaporize. That's why they drop them over the ocean.

[edit on 3/2/2009 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

You have a LOT to learn kid. And please give us your cite for NASA saying we lost the technology. Because it's total BS.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
could you imagine the air pressure when this thing races past your house, wow drum splitting noise.

Im all for the asteroids happen everyday thing but a near miss with an asteroid this size is lucky. When i saw that it could have nuclear type blast it made me think wouldnt people be more worried about it and try to do some sort of armageddon #### to it so that we only get the little pieces and only get little demages rather than a 30 mile blast radius..

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Near-hit.
it nearly hit me.

it nearly missed me. Means it hit me but barely.

i still dont know why ppl say near miss.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by salsaking
Personally I dont even believe the moons exists. However I do believe we have landed on it.

If moon dooesn't exist, how does man land on it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join