It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO's , a new religeon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I have been wondering lately if all of us here on ATS or other conpsiracy / UFO sites , can start a new religeon?.
After all religeon is based upon a set of beliefs or a particular mindset. Most if not ALL other mainstream religeons, Christianity, Islam, Paganism ( of which I am of) and any number of religeons need no evidence to be held out for would be belivers to examine.
Now I'm not casting hate propaganda to any race or creed or any other religeon on this planet, but surely there are enough believers of UFO's for it to be classified as a religeon?.
What would the legal implications be? after all we wouldn't need buildings or churches or a defined singular book to be published like the Bible or Qu'ran?.
The same applies to UFO's we have in one corner us, the believers , and in the other the sceptics. Same as Christianity vs Islam for example.

If we all, those that have even a slightest belief in UFO's or Conspiracies state on job apllication forms, census forms and if there are enough people would it be recognised as a religeon?

The last census here in the UK got 400,000 people saying they were Jei knights? and that got registered as a religeon, it doesn't have any churches or books, just a belief in the system or codes of what people think Jedi knights should behave like.

If enough of us called ourselves ( for example myself) a Conspiracy-theorist- Ufologist / Pagan would that be enough to change peoples attitudes to us?.
We, in this present climate , even if we're a little interested in UFO's or Conspiriacies get looked at in a funny light, or at a funny angle, or with a look of sympathy or even as hostile as being called 'Nutters' or worse. especially by the media and the papers.

If we were to be classed as religeon, as I feel there are a lot of us who would call ourselves Conspiriacy-Theorist/Ufologists , would we get more stick?
I don't think so after all would the Papers or MSM of the UK dare to call Muslims 'nutters' ?.

Why should we , simply because WE believe in something different?.

I say next time you get a census through your letterbox or have a questionaire , put down Conspiriacy-Theorist/Ufologist, there's strength in numbers, and they can't deny that then there will be a change of attitude towards us.

Maybe with the shift in attitude away from the mainstream we would gain a little bit more publicity and a bit more public support.

[edit on 2/3/09 by DataWraith]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Read T&C's

recruiting is against ATS policy. Becareful with your suggesting here, don't want to see you getting in trouble

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
UFO believers are religious in their beliefs. Anytime you believe in the unseen based on faith...so are beginning to form a faith based religion.

If you really analyze how you guys believe in UFOs, you don't use evidence, you just claim a bunch of random peoples stories are true that you agree with. If you don't like them, then to you, they aren't true. Sure sounds like every religion ever.

And like a religion, no matter how much someone tells you there is no grounds for your beliefs, you just claim away anyhow with logic like "prove they don't exist."

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I've read the T&C's and Its not a recruiting thread is a wondering what if thread.
I was wondering if seeing as Jedi became a recognised religeon here in the UK simply becasue people wanted something different, would or could UFOlogist be dealt the same hand?
What , if anyone knows are the legal ramefications of classing UFOlogist on a questionaire or census ?
Or if people would consider it if given the choice?
and do you think we would stop getting called 'nutjobs' if you told someone you believed in UFO's and conspiracies on religeous grounds.

[edit on 2/3/09 by DataWraith]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
NO, NO and NO.

The last thing we need is another religion.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
There have been UFO cults in the past, and their are UFO Cults now (Scientology and The Raelian Movement) being the most notable ones (no I dont want to have a discussion about Scientology thank you lets just agree they are a Cult I dont care if you agree about the UFO part).

Having an interest in something doesn't make it a religion, if people start worshiping aliens or such like and following a doctrine of rules to live their life by based around that concept then it becomes a religion.

Really liking UFO's is just really liking UFO's.

There are many conspiracies revolving around the connection between UFO's , God and Religion. Use the search feature to find some.

As for putting down Jedi on the UK Census (and in other countries) people did it to take the piss and because lots of emails went out to university students who decided to be cool and do it, based around the idea that if X amount of people signed themselves as Jedi the UK would have to recognize it as a real religion, it was a prank, not a serious attempt to start a Jedi religion. Most people thought it was funny, I really dont think its the way to be taken seriously by the government.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by gYvMessanger]

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
A cult or religion will spring from an individual, or concerted group, advocating enlightened knowledge that they, and only they, are privy to.

And these cults/religions are rarely based on humanitarian principals, but on the central theme’s ability to pull like-minded individuals together under the same umbrella.

More often than not, this “acquired” knowledge is nothing of the kind. It is often spurious; either being totally concocted fiction or having been absorbed from other established belief systems and altered to fit the religion’s founders’ own paradigm, whatever that may be.

It is unsettling to watch the often ingratiating conversations between “believers” and their “leader”, as the “believers” seldom consider the possibility their blindly accepting the reality of a completely un-verifiable “experience” or “revelation” is a slow induction into a creed.

In my opinion, I’m afraid your idea is already in practice DataWraith.

And it exists not only on ATS, but across the entire web.

The whole 2012/Annunaki/Pleiadian/NWO/apocalypse-from-space/awakening theme has become the favoured meme of the conspiracy minded individual. And it’s endemic.

There may well be some grain of truth lost amongst the overabundance of fiction posted about the above subjects. But if there is, then it’s almost buried amongst the chaff.

It’s an unfortunate fact, not to mention a disturbing tendency, that for many it simply doesn’t matter that ego or the need for attention and power plays a bigger part in promoting these subjects, as all they want to hear is the “story”. And if the story applies to their own formative beliefs, they’re hooked.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ragman
UFO believers are religious in their beliefs. Anytime you believe in the unseen based on faith...so are beginning to form a faith based religion.

If you really analyze how you guys believe in UFOs, you don't use evidence, you just claim a bunch of random peoples stories are true that you agree with. If you don't like them, then to you, they aren't true. Sure sounds like every religion ever.

That's totally wrong. There are ufo reports in the news just about every day now. Every day there's a new sighting / picture of a blurry light somewhere. Sure it's just a blurry light, but it's certainly a lot more tangible than what we would call 'religious belief'. I would contend that there is a heck of a lot of pictorial / physical evidence out there for ufos and aliens, and very little for religious belief. It's not 'unseen' at all. I personally haven't seen them but i know several people who have and I believe their sightings to be genuine - they weren't just 'telling stories'. They wouldn't just say this stuff to attract attention either, simply 'this is what happened and this is what they saw'. Until you have a personal sighting I guess none of us can truly understand their belief in what they experienced.

So what's wrong with remaining open-minded and taking all evidence on board and take in what the subject of ufos has to offer.. I wouldn't call it 'belief' - more just an appreciation for the topic and for all the weird and wonderful avenues the rabbit hole can take you!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I started a thread awhile ago with some similar thoughts.

Alien Abduction and Contactees: A new religion

I hope it adds to your thoughts.
There are many similarities with the beliefs in UFO's, aliens etc.
Interesting stuff.

Who would be the Pope of the UFO Church? Tom Cruise? Ed Mitchell?

[edit on 3-6-2009 by atlasastro]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
The UFO subject has been an excuse for many nut job Religions and Cults over the last 30yrs+.

The Hippies split into different factions at the end of the 60s and most ended up trying to hug a UFO instead of a tree?

The last vain attempt was Blossum Goodchild, no doubt most of you will think I am taking the piss? well not altogether but its in there.

Lets keep this subject from going off the rails and suffering the made up cult ammo, religion spoofs and other off shoot weird and wackie clubs.

Keep well BDU

[edit on 3-6-2009 by Bob Down Under]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ragman

And like a religion, no matter how much someone tells you there is no grounds for your beliefs, you just claim away anyhow with logic like "prove they don't exist."

Wrong! And Bull#!

Only a few .

Do some serious research on the subject then make your point of view.

Its so easy to be negative because it suits the fashion and also not having the knowledge or experience on the above and to think out of the box.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by Bob Down Under]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Well like I suggested recently.
The ET and UFO are man made.
And also a lively hood.
Religion can be a lively hood but you stick to prayers.
And the particular bible of you cause.
There are bibles on Economy and Engineering and each
profession that those working in kind know that each one follows.

So lets say the bible on ETs and the UFOs has been written
and is followed by retired government officials in some cases
as they are familiar with the official stick and stick to it,
something definitely not the course for a Mr Lyne ('Line'),
and a money maker for those jumping on the band wagon.
Also being pure fabrications there is always profits and new
findings to add chapter to the bible.

Yes, in a sense there is a religion aspect following the bible
of ET and UFO. The Moses might be the original Roswell Big Lie
producer that Mr Lyne might originate with some Operation
Paperclip import.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
UFO believers might have a rough canon that they follow, but nothing that's universally agreed upon. Some believe in reptile aliens, some believe in grey aliens from Zeta Reticuli, etc. Some think aliens genetically modified humans to get us where we are now, some don't. Some t think angels and demons are the same as aliens. There's hardly a consensus. They also don't have much in the way of organized rituals.

There are a few small sects, like the Scientologists, the Ohaspe folks, or those who go along with the Book of Urantia, who have "Bibles" that include some description or explanation of aliens, but again, these are at odds with each other for the most part.

I guess UFO belief is a lot like religion in that like "God," very few people who believe in it have much of a grasp of even what they supposedly believe in. But otherwise, it's too scattered to be considered a real religion, outside of Scientology, I suppose.

top topics

join