It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Found a USB Flash Drive

page: 2
7
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
WElcome on ATS , the website scared by USB flashdrives




posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I'm confused as to what the conspiracy is?



posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
1. Should have returned it to the lost & found: Finders keepers isn't a law.
2. Shouldn't have opened it: Fast way to get a virus.
3. Shouldn't have posted it here: I'm not a mod but I think it's a violation of T&C.

On another note it's likely not a flash drive used by a federal employee because they were banned back in November for many. Also from what I have heard their computers don't even read them anymore in order to try and prevent any accidents.



posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The files that appear to be garbage may actually be an encryption key.

Also I'm confused about the mod warnings here. If I find something I'm under no legal obligation to turn it in to anyone(right or wrong).

So now that it's mine I have the right to look at whatever is on it even if said data IS encrypted.

If I forgot the password on one of my documents it's not illegal for me to run programs to find the password so what is the problem?

Vas



posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasilis Azoth

Also I'm confused about the mod warnings here. If I find something I'm under no legal obligation to turn it in to anyone(right or wrong).

Vas


The only potentially harmful info in this thread so far is still sitiing in quotes in the OP.

The most humourous posts in the thread have been deleted enitirely.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by ColdWater]



posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I use AES encryption on my ups flash drives.
www.chilkatsoft.com...

I would format it and overwrite it with a good program like Eraser or Secure Eraser.
www.download.com...
www.tucows.com...

You don't know if the encrypted date is kiddy porn or something else that could get transferred to your computer and get you arrested.
www.earthtimes.org...

Many pedophiles now store there photos encrypted on flash-drives rather then there computer. they can flush them down the toilet, drop them in the trash or hammer them till they are junk of they think someone is on to them.
They are also easier to hide then a computer.


[edit on 2-3-2009 by ANNED]



posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasilis Azoth
The files that appear to be garbage may actually be an encryption key.

Also I'm confused about the mod warnings here. If I find something I'm under no legal obligation to turn it in to anyone(right or wrong).

So now that it's mine I have the right to look at whatever is on it even if said data IS encrypted.

If I forgot the password on one of my documents it's not illegal for me to run programs to find the password so what is the problem?

Vas


The problem is they arent your files. If they were your files and you forgot the password then yes cracking them would be legal. But those files are not your property. If it is some sort of sensitive data from a corporate entity and you crack the encryption and they get wind of it, you CAN be sued for invasion of privacy. The files are encrypted for a reason. They could contain any number of things. None of which were meant for your eyes. If it was something you were supposed to see, it wouldn't be encrypted.

Also bear in mind what the Anonymous poster said. it could be something illegal. You wouldn't want to hang on to that either.

As far as the legal obligation to turn it in: If it is corporate data of some type and the schlub who lost it goes to his boss and says he was pickpocketed and thats why the thumb drive is missing, and then you (already having posted on a public website that you found it and are considering cracking the encryption without attempting to return it) crack it and publish your findings, a pretty good case could also be made for possession of stolen property.

Take the high road, either turn it in at the lost and found, or whipe the drive and keep it. But don't keep the files.



posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
reply to post by Daisy-Lola
 


Here is what I think about this thread. I am sort of apalled by your suggestion to open up these files.

Does the train station have a lost and found? And why didn't you take it there immediately if they do?

What you suggest to do seems to me like finding a wallet, and trying out the credit cards to see if they will work.

Isn't anybody trust worthy these days?


Sometimes you have to look at the things contained on data sticks in order to find the possible owner do you think the police or who ever the item is given to in order so it can be looked at and returned to the owner just looks at the stick itself and thinks I know whos it is, no they open it look for clues/ names on or within the files contained and then go from there.

I have found several in recent years, most where students back ups or working copies of their notes..etc I returned some of them in person to their owner and others to their lecturers as I found a common name on various data sticks repeatedly coming up in many of them by looking through the files for a header/ footer.

Looking at the things on the data sticks aren't like your analogy unless you meant to say open the wallet to see if you can find a named item or address. There is a difference between opening a file to find a name or company name and keeping the work for yourself or using the work or things contained for personal gain.



posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I found a SD camera card once. I do not know who that woman was but I sure would like to met her. Not pictures you could post here that is for sure. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX



posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
There is a big difference between checking a few files to try and find the owners information, and cracking encryption.



posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marshall Ormus

Sometimes you have to look at the things contained on data sticks in order to find the possible owner do you think the police or who ever the item is given to in order so it can be looked at and returned to the owner just looks at the stick itself and thinks I know whos it is, no they open it look for clues/ names on or within the files contained and then go from there.

I have found several in recent years, most where students back ups or working copies of their notes..etc I returned some of them in person to their owner and others to their lecturers as I found a common name on various data sticks repeatedly coming up in many of them by looking through the files for a header/ footer.

Looking at the things on the data sticks aren't like your analogy unless you meant to say open the wallet to see if you can find a named item or address. There is a difference between opening a file to find a name or company name and keeping the work for yourself or using the work or things contained for personal gain.


I have a picture that anyone can open stored on all my flash drives. I took a sheet of paper and wrote a note that reads 'IF FOUND CALL (my cell number)" and took a picture with my digital camera. That way I may get one back if I lose it.



posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967

I have a picture that anyone can open stored on all my flash drives. I took a sheet of paper and wrote a note that reads 'IF FOUND CALL (my cell number)" and took a picture with my digital camera. That way I may get one back if I lose it.


That is a pretty good thing to do, if someone responsible finds it then returning it is even easier. Though most people don't do that thus why so many usually can't get returned unless you find it somewhere like a library or school which narrows it down to students and users of those places.



posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Found this on craigslist

Help Lost USB flash drive.

Inside of it is a bunch of code. If found please return to Mr. D Vader and E Palpatine @ Deathstar in Deepspace.



posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
He might as well try to crack the encryption.
If its AES or one of the other military grade encryption's he never will crack it.

If its not then someone was dumb to think they hid something with a low grade encryption.

It will give him something to do for the next 50 years.



posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
After reading everyones response, I decided to go with 'format'
It could be someones personal information, company info, etc.

Thanks for helping and directing me to a good course of action



posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
if you look in the april 2009 popular mechanics issue there is a story on america's growing risk of cyber attack.

there is a part about hackers using what is called a flash drive drop to get around a companies strong firewall.


Flash Drive Drop
WHERE parking lot human nature can sometimes provide an easy end run around a strong firewall. An old hacker trick is to drop a USB drive in a company public area, Then count on the curiosity of a company employee to plug the USB drive into his work computer to identify the owner of the device, The drive automatically installs a hidden rootkit software that invites the hacker into the system.

I have got a company catalog on CD in the mail and when i tried to open it found a virus hidden on the CD along with the catalog.(what caught them was that i opened the CD on a non net connected computer and it complained about not having a connection)
I later complained to there order department about the virus on there catalog CD, Only to be told that they had never had a CD catalog or ever sent one out.
I noticed they immediately put a warning on there web site about the CDs and found that other companies had got the same CDs.

It was some hacker looking for password and company account info so that he could charge ORDERS to the companies acounts.



posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
if you look in the april 2009 popular mechanics issue there is a story on america's growing risk of cyber attack.

there is a part about hackers using what is called a flash drive drop to get around a companies strong firewall.


Flash Drive Drop
WHERE parking lot human nature can sometimes provide an easy end run around a strong firewall. An old hacker trick is to drop a USB drive in a company public area, Then count on the curiosity of a company employee to plug the USB drive into his work computer to identify the owner of the device, The drive automatically installs a hidden rootkit software that invites the hacker into the system.

I have got a company catalog on CD in the mail and when i tried to open it found a virus hidden on the CD along with the catalog.(what caught them was that i opened the CD on a non net connected computer and it complained about not having a connection)
I later complained to there order department about the virus on there catalog CD, Only to be told that they had never had a CD catalog or ever sent one out.
I noticed they immediately put a warning on there web site about the CDs and found that other companies had got the same CDs.

It was some hacker looking for password and company account info so that he could charge ORDERS to the companies acounts.


I remember hearding about a digital picture frame that came out a few years back that the driver CD for it had a virus on like that on it. Seems that some one at the factory in China where it was made did this.



posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I remember that case.

I have long believed that the so-called Chinese hackers are really the Chinese government.

Do to the Golden Shield Project(aka the great firewall of china.
any hacker would likely get caught and turned into a government employee ie a government hacker.
en.wikipedia.org...

That is why i always get a laugh out on the Chinese ATS members/Chinese government dis-info agents



posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by griffinrl
Format the thing and add it to your USB drive collection. That's most likely the only good use for it now. Besides it protects you from posessing proprietary information if that's what it is



Does this not seem kinda wrong to be snooping around and trying to find out somebody elses information? I know it is encrypted , but still anything with a code can infact be cracked so eventually it could be found out.

Could be useless files from a random person, but what if you were that random person and somebody unknown to you now had your information. Would it not piszss you off a little bit?

I'm not saying lets not try to find it out because i'm as curious as a cat and I love finding new info, but just to reflect a little about what is morally right and wrong.




top topics



 
7
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join