It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you believe in aliens UFO's?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tokis Phoenix
As the title says, why do you believe in alien UFO's? With all the space debris floating around, top secret advanced military aircraft technology and weird & rare weather phenomenons going around, why do you believe there are alien UFO's?

IMHO it would be nice to believe that advanced aliens existed and all that, but so far i have never seen any convincing evidence that UFO's have anything to do with aliens. Even if i had a personal experience seeing a UFO for myself, i would likely put it down to something like top secret military stuff or falling space debris etc.

I've never seen one, but common sense leads me to believe that they do exist..our own galaxy is larger than you think; there are billions upon billions of galaxies throughout the universe; each has billions of solar systems; all it takes for an advanced civilization to exist is one thing: evolution that happened earlier than ours. the process, the chain of events that led to human life on this planet started at a specific time; in another part of the universe, it happened earlier..there are civilizations that probably have a million/billion-year headstart on us..think of what earth will be like in one million years, how advanced we'll be..and we haven't even gotten into alternate universes, etc..yet, there are some who still believe that the only intelligent life in the great vastness of the universe can be found on this backwater planet on the ass-end of nowhere..that would be here. C'mon now..

[edit on 3-3-2009 by dragonseeker]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That's an excellent video. As I understand it there's a lot of questions about f sub I (the chance of intelligent life as a fraction) based on the chances of intelligent life based on earth. It's a fascinating topic - for me one of the essays that brought it home to me was Stephen J Gould's essay on The Great Dying (which is a bit dated on causes) and his reach for the dictionary essays on the evolution of life on earth. The geological time line appears to show some life on earth was quite lucky given the number of mass extinctions.

For me, and this is just banter, the problem with calculations of f-sub L is that it's an average. It's fine for an estimate. But I wonder if it's useful for specifics at all. The big question for me is the distribution of life: Whether life in some solar systems is more or less likely, based on the number of mass extinction events, and even if there's a tendency towards intelligent life. There could be whole tracts of space rendered uninhabitable by constant mass extinction events, and vice versa. There could be plenty of systems perfect for earth type life in terms of their composition, but desperately unlucky when it comes to mass extinction events. In that sense I wonder if an average could be misleading. There could be planets with way older life than ours but no intelligent life.

I'm not a believer in alien UFOs (I'm OK with other people having different opinions), and I think it likely there's more intelligent life in the galaxy than us, but using earth as a reference point - it points to intelligent life being rare, given our species' tiny section of the geological time line. For hundreds of millions of years there didn't appear to be any tendency towards intelligent life. How typical earth's geological history is, is another question.

I don't know how likely life was on earth, whether earth's geological history can be considered typical, whether intelligent life is a likely by-product of evolution, and how likely we were. I think it's quite complex one and Drake's equation is misleading in that regard. Yes, there's probably intelligent life, but how much and its distribution is the question.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by jackphotohobby]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackphotohobby
I'm not a believer in alien UFOs (I'm OK with other people having different opinions), and I think it likely there's more intelligent life in the galaxy than us, but using earth as a reference point - it points to intelligent life being rare, given our species' tiny section of the geological time line. For hundreds of millions of years there didn't appear to be any tendency towards intelligent life. How typical earth's geological history is, is another question.

Would you be willing to change your mind?

I think it's a good policy not to believe that all UFO sightings are alien UFO sightings. I think most everyone understands that it's quite likely these technologies have been developed here on planet earth. Maybe we had some help getting started in the form of crashed craft, maybe not. However....

There are a lot of folks who have seen alien UFOs for the very reason that they're attempting communication with them. It sounds crazy, I know, but it's true. It kind of makes sense to me. I mean, if they're close by, and if we're attempting communication in the right spirit, why wouldn't they make their presence known?

I'll admit ... this is wishful thinking on my part. I haven't been part of such an experience personally, but I believe the testimony of those who have.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Heres my opinion. UFO's have been spotted for years and years dating back as far as 1947, and even further than that. If you mean to tell me that these sightings were governmental experiments and satalites than i guess thats all the proof you need to say that the goverment is lieing.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rakshan
Would you be willing to change your mind?

I think it's a good policy not to believe that all UFO sightings are alien UFO sightings. I think most everyone understands that it's quite likely these technologies have been developed here on planet earth. Maybe we had some help getting started in the form of crashed craft, maybe not. However....

There are a lot of folks who have seen alien UFOs for the very reason that they're attempting communication with them. It sounds crazy, I know, but it's true. It kind of makes sense to me. I mean, if they're close by, and if we're attempting communication in the right spirit, why wouldn't they make their presence known?

I'll admit ... this is wishful thinking on my part. I haven't been part of such an experience personally, but I believe the testimony of those who have.

Alien visitation isn't something I think is impossible, it's just that I think it is improbable. I could be wrong. Science could be wrong. I think science is right to demand quality evidence for any extraordinary claims, not least because of the abundance of extraordinary claims. Plate tectonics is a good example of where a theory was once considered unlikely, but later accepted. It was accepted because the evidence supported it. People were methodical and diligent. It took a while - and rightly so. It's got to hold water. If people produced good evidence of alien UFOs I think even the most hardened sceptics would change their minds.

So, I'd change my mind, but it would take a lot of high quality evidence.

I'm cool with other people believing in alien visitation. It's up to them. I think each UFO sighting should be examined individually and often believers are as good at spotting things as sceptics. Other times they're awful. The same is true of sceptics. There is a tendency to write off all UFO reports as bogus. I think that is wrong. I believe in UFOs in their strictest sense. I think often there's ordinary answers, but occasionally interesting answers. They're puzzles.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by jackphotohobby]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Alien visitation isn't something I think is impossible, it's just that I think it is improbable. I could be wrong. Science could be wrong. I think science is right to demand quality evidence for any extraordinary claims, not least because of the abundance of extraordinary claims. Plate tectonics is a good example of where a theory that was once considered unlikely but later accepted. It was accepted because the evidence supported it. People were methodical and diligent. It took a while - and rightly so. It's got to hold water. If people produced good evidence of alien UFOs I think even the most hardened sceptics would change their minds.

So, I'd change my mind, but it would take a lot of high quality evidence.

I'm cool with other people believing in alien visitation. It's up to them. I think each UFO sighting should be examined individually and often believers are as good at spotting things as sceptics. Other times they're awful. The same is true of sceptics. There is a tendency to write off all UFO reports as bogus. I think that is wrong. I believe in UFOs in their strictest sense. I think often there's ordinary answers, but occasionally interesting answers. They're puzzles.

Well put!

And until something happens which proves things otherwise, this is the healthiest stance to take on the subject. Regretfully, most folks can't even be this open-minded.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Tokis Phoenix

I believe because of my own experiences. I just dont believe that there isnt anything else out there. How can one honestly believe that in the entire universe we are the only beings? It's insane! I believe the government has their own technology that yes some may see as a UFO but I also TRULY believe that people have had experiences with these crafts and the beings in them. One day the world will really know.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Whether from planet Earth or elsewhere there is always going to be UFO's.
So, yeah I believe in UFO's. As far as space ships being flown by little gray aliens from another planet......I'll believe that when they stop by my house and take me for a ride.

That would be cool, but I don't imagine it will ever happen.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Salt of the Earth

LOLOLOLOL......Demons?.......dude.........c'mon now, you can't belittle what we are saying and come back with Aliens can't zip around the universe but demons can.........demons? Really???

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Watch 'The Disclosure Project' on youtube, that should clear a few things up for you.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'm a Christian myself, and I don't rule out the idea of extraterrestrial life. I like to think that limiting life to Earth alone is like limiting the creativity of God. I think the idea of Panspermia is really cool and in no way contradicts the Bible. No one said God created the Earth and then retired. Perhaps we are only His latest work, and He's had many other projects.

Not all Christians are the same, some just tend to be overly close-minded. Nothing wrong with that, it's just how they think.

I, for one, am open to new ideas of what's really going on in the universe. And please, don't mention quantum physics. I'll be hard-pressed to believe that when you're not looking, I am merely a waveform.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I don't believe in UFOs but if people are seeing something then I would like to know what.

Simple as.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by PoodleSlayer

How can you say there is nothing wrong with being overly closed minded?? That attitude is what has gotten this world into this mess and its not gonna change until all the baby boomers and the children they have influenced and brainwashed with their beliefs die off. Maybe and only maybe then can we start to look outside the box and see beyond our planet. Christ, these ppl think global warming and polution is punishment from God. Thats............dangerous,but yet they are allowed to preach this openly but when another group says something they don't believe they take it to court to try and get it banned. I am Candadian, we are a bit and only a bit more open minded up here, but this world needs to wake up and see that we are not alone, admit it, accept it, embrace it, fear it, whatever...its odd you know..5000 years ago it seems ppls minds were much more open to this stuff, maybe society is going backwards

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Man has been seeing unusual aerial craft and have had encounters with biological entities as long as history has been recorded.

Long before man began building flying craft.

Intelligent but uneducated people have given clear,articulate statements describing craft and beings that they witnessed. Some of them had physical evidence.

Intelligent,educated and highly trained,skilled people have also seen and described such things. There are photographic and video evidence.

To even for a moment believe that we are alone in the Universe is ignorant. Visited?Absolutely.

Global sightings database.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
There are many people who know aliens and their craft exist through first hand experience, but most people believe UFO's are alien craft because the way these craft preform.

Until the military comes out and states "Yes these craft are ours and they maneuver the way they do by such and such means" I will continue to use the simplest explanation, which is that they are not ours.

There are many good quality vid's showing unusual craft navigating our skies in way's which to date can not be explained by known tech. This is one of my favorites taken in space. I have not heard any plausible explanations for what this is, so be my guest and try.

If embed doesn't work, it is on YouTube under the title "NASA UFO Footage from below Earth".

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The planet Earth is incredibly diverse. It is hard for me to believe that this diversity is only on Earth. The universe is a very large place. It in itself is more diverse than even our own planet. It just makes sense to me that there must be other lifeforms out there.

I have also seen a UFO within a distance of 50 yards. Granted, it could have been some top-secret craft. However, intuitively, I know otherwise.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

reply to post by SLAYER69

That's an excellent video. As I understand it there's a lot of questions about f sub I (the chance of intelligent life as a fraction) based on the chances of intelligent life based on earth. It's a fascinating topic - for me one of the essays that brought it home to me was Stephen J Gould's essay on The Great Dying (which is a bit dated on causes) and his reach for the dictionary essays on the evolution of life on earth. The geological time line appears to show some life on earth was quite lucky given the number of mass extinctions.

Thanks for your reply that is a great question and it does bring up a whole other discussion of what qualifies as intelligent life. Those figures are calculating Earth like life forms developing out in the galaxy and if we go by those equations then yes the odds are very small indeed.

However what if there is life and it is intelligent and is capable of space travel whose to say that it has to be anything like ourselves in shape, form or even with the same thought process?

I summit to you that Earth has 3 forms of intelligent life. Humans, Aquatic " Dolphins" and insects "ANT" But simply because the ANT and the Dolphin do not have the wheel and the written word nor do they have the capability of space flight they by our narrow definition are classified as not intelligent..

If we were to throw those into the equation that Sagan applied in the video then the numbers of possible civilizations in our universe is staggering. The real question becomes space travel.

So before we go into whether or not the UFO is Alien in origin we have to determine first if there is even the possibility of life elsewhere in the galaxy and the answer by shear numbers is yes!

Now somebody earlier in the thread brought up space travel well now we are talking real meat and potatoes there. How can " They " travel billions of miles well I believe in quantum physics and the future ability to fold space to slip through space and time like a surfer slides in and out of tubes at the beach.

Do they really need to travel the speed of light? That is the question is it even necessary?

[edit on 3-3-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Seeing is believing.

I know two other friends who encountered UFOs in a much more & up close relationship. One of which I have known for 28 years. Respectable.

My report: NUFORC (LINK) www.nuforc.org...

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I believe in them because I have seen them, three at once actually.

I believe in them because they believe in us - we are still here

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Thanks for your reply that is a great question and it does bring up a whole other discussion of what qualities as intelligent life. Those figures are calculating Earth like life forms developing out in the galaxy and if we go by those equations then yes the odds are very small indeed.

However what if there is life and it is intelligent and is capable of space travel whose to say that it has to be anything like ourselves in shape or form or even in the same thought process?

Fair point. I don't know. That's really the root of it Assuming any form of intelligent or potentially intelligent life evolved on a planet, what are its chances of survival? Can the odds be generalised to other planets, given mass extinction events, and the like? I don't think it is as simple as the Drake equation. As such the only reference we have is earth, and intelligent life is a blip.

I summit to you that Earth has 3 forms of intelligent life forms Humans, Aquatic " Dolphins" and insects "ANT" But simply because the ANT and the Dolphin do not have the wheel and the written word nor do they have the capability of space flight they by our narrow definition are classified as not intelligent..

I agree with you in part. People shouldn't regard other life on earth as somehow less evolved than us. But I think we can make some assumptions about the kind of intelligence needed for space travel - even if their intelligence didn't work in the same way as ours.

If we were to throw into those equations that Sagan applied in the video then the numbers of possible civilizations in our universe is staggering. The real question becomes space travel.

I disagree, I don't think there is enough evidence to say intelligent life is abundant, or rare, or anything specific. I think there's enough evidence to say that there's probably extraterrestrial life, and given the potential, intelligent life.

new topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join