It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

surviving in the city

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I know how to survive in the country, but I know that urban survival will be very tricky, I found this article interesting

Surviving in the City

This article is from Christopher Parrett's book, "The LDS Preparedness Manual" which is posted for free downloading to any and all at www.abysmal.com... The author also has a web site at www.anothervoiceofwarning.org The article has been around since Y2K days and is still relevant.

Introduction
While we all want to do our best to prepare for a coming crisis, and many of us realize the city is perhaps the worst place to live, very few people are really prepared to pack up the old Winnebago and head for the hills. Most Americans, whether they're aware or not, are going to stay in the cities.

This is not a hasty decision for most people. Most of us depend on the city for our livelihood, and we can be better prepared by continuing to live in the city, earn a good income, and make preparations for exiting the city at the appropriate time or by staying in the city and living off existing supplies.

This special report explains some of the most critical dangers of living in a city and presents some solutions to surviving them. If you are one of the people who has decided to stay in the city, you'll benefit greatly from this information.

Cities are artificial
Every city is an artificial construct. Cities formed as people came together to conduct business, participate in social interaction, and benefit from efficiencies in public services (such as schools, sewers, water, etc.) and a common defense. Yet cities cannot survive alone. They need resources from the country; most notably, food, water and electricity. While electricity and water can sometimes be created or found within city limits, the acreage requirements of food dictate that no city could possibly feed its own people.

Read that last phrase carefully: No city can feed its own people. Not one. Cities are, by their very nature, dependent on the importation of food. The advent of just-in-time delivery systems to our grocery stores means that most cities would run out of food within a week if supplies were for some reason disrupted.

Remember, cities are not self-sufficient. Although they may seem to be in 2005, they have for a long time been entirely dependent on the American farmer for their support, something almost all Americans take for granted (except the farmer, of course.)

Risks in the City
The city presents some serious risks during a crisis. The four most serious ones are:
1. the collapse of social order (riots),
2. the failure of the water treatment and delivery systems,
3. the depletion of food supplies and
4. the failure of the power grid...

please take the time to read this www.endtimesreport.com...

ps. this is not an ad, it is free knowledge

[edit on 2-3-2009 by HulaAnglers]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I had a friend who lived on inexpensive and simple constant diet. He was a gymnast and a researcher of the occult. He also meditated and whent to the top of the mountain(Montreal) every sundown. He was in fine shape and lived on 409$ a month everything included.

his breakfast consisted of oatmeal cooked in water, sweetened with honey, he added some raisins and sunflower seeds. would have a piece of black bread and banana and a cup of Instant coffe, black.

his lunch consisted of a hand full of falafel powder mixed with a bit of water in advance, then he would blend a couple of eggs and cook this like an omelet. topped with fresh alfalfa sprouts, and a cup of tea

Brown rice, red lentils, brocoly was his supper, it was made in advanced and he could scoop and throw it in the pan heated up then add a bit of tamari, pepper and yellow powdered yeast(B's)

He is one of my favorite teachers, this is an excellent diet for uptimum health

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Nice post. I also think that people will remain in cities, no matter what happens. At least, most of them. People living in cities, that only know city life, would perhaps have difficulty moving into the country.
Living out of the citiy, into the country, is so different. Life is slower, you don't need as much money. You can even grow your own food, wich is harder in you live inside a large city.
Cheers!

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
i concluded that mayby some will not read this article so I am posting the important parts

Solutions in the City
Okay, so you're stuck in the city. You’ve made the decision to stay. You’ve read the problems above, you believe they make sense, and you’re intelligently frightened. What now? You really have two strategies. You can:
* Stay and defend your house
* Bug out (leave the city and head for the hills)

Important! This is not an either/or situation. You can begin by staying in your house and assessing the situation. You'll want to have a “bug-out” vehicle stocked and ready, just in case, if you can afford one, but you may never actually choose to bug out. You’ll have to be the ultimate judge of this. Just remember that when you bug out, you face major risks and disadvantages. Among these:
1. You're severely limited in how much you can carry -
2. You have limited range due to fuel -
3. You expose yourself to social chaos, roadblocks, random violence, etc. -
4. Your house will certainly be looted while you're gone -
5. You run the risk of mechanical breakdowns of your vehicle -
6. You must have a place to go that you know is in better shape than where you currently are.

In general, unless you have a specific, known safe place as your final destination, I don't advise people to bug out. Just “heading for the hills” is a very poor plan. You might not make it. But heading for Grandma’s house or some known, safe place could be a very good plan indeed, depending on whether Grandma is ready, willing and able to accept you! [This subject is covered in depth in my booklet, "Evacuation and Relocation." ]

For these reasons (and more), staying and defending your house is sometimes the only reasonable course of action, even if it seems dangerous. For the most part, looters and people looking for food are going to have plenty of easy victims, so if you show a little willingness to use force to defend your property, you’ll likely send people on to the next house. [See www.EndTimesReport.com/homedefense.html ]

That is, until the next house is already empty and you appear to be the last house on the block with any food and water left. If you're in a bad enough area, your neighbors may “gang up” on you and demand your supplies or your life. This is truly a worst-case scenario, and unless you literally have a house full of battle rifles and people trained to use them (and the willingness to shoot your neighbors), you’re sunk. This is why the best situation by far is to keep your neighbors informed and help them get prepared. Then you (both your member and non-member neighbors) can act as a group, defending your neighborhood and sharing the supplies you have with anyone willing to help defend you.

When you have this kind of situation going, your neighbors realize you are their lifeline. You supply them with food and water, and they will help support you because they are, in effect, supporting their own lives. The best situation is when your neighbors and other ward members have their own food and water supplies. That way, they aren’t depleting yours, and they have a strong motivation for getting together with you defend your neighborhood
www.endtimesreport.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I agree with all of this. I still think people should consider moving to the country before it all happens... I live in a big city right now, and i can't wait to get out of it, and i'm doing all in my power to make it reality.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by HulaAnglers

1. You're severely limited in how much you can carry -
2. You have limited range due to fuel -
3. You expose yourself to social chaos, roadblocks, random violence, etc. -
4. Your house will certainly be looted while you're gone -
5. You run the risk of mechanical breakdowns of your vehicle -
6. You must have a place to go that you know is in better shape than where you currently are.

==================================

#1 - It is best pre-prepare a place to go to or to cache supplies
near that area that are near impossible to find.

#2 - Keep your tank topped off while times are shaky, and
that if you have to go you have a full tank. Also make your
bug out location about half a tank of fuel or less away from where
you live. Another option is to put a 5 gallon can of fuel in your
trunk or at home if you think you will be able to get home prior
to bugout.

#3 - The cities will have plenty of chaos and random violence
just like the LA riots did after rodney king's trial.
Also keep in mind large sections of the city were set on fire.
You might defend against the mob, but fires raging thru the
city win every time.

#4 - When you are asleep, you will have ppl trying to steal your car,
its fuel, if you have a garden your food, etc etc. they also had
problems with snipers during the LA riots.

#5 - Your car can break down in the city or the country just as
likely, and if your staying in the city your going to be just as
stranded except you might be near a moving mob of ppl that
don't have any food because the food trucks stopped showing up.

#6 - Any place that has a low number of ppl, fresh water that
does not require the grid power to be online, and room to grow
food is a better alternative then the mad max scenario that will
play out in the cities. The only thing keeping ppl from living
off the land is the fact that they have lost that knowledge.

The bottom line is this, if you stay in the cities think how things went
with Katrina and imagine dozens of cities in bad shape and what
it would be like. Also keep in mind with Katrina most ppl evacuated.

Ppl in retirement homes were left to die.

That is the kind of disregard for human life you will be facing if
you stay in the cities.

Think of the disease and lack of services.

The cities are a death trap of biblical proportions once basic services
break down, and no one comes to pick up the garbage.

The water towers are filled by electric pumps.

You will be there with fires burning in the city, no water, no power
unless you have a generator that ppl will want to steal, and
the store shelves will be empty.

If you are on good terms with your neighbors you might hold out
against the mobs for a long while, but if they burn you out just
out of spite your done.

Good Luck to you all !

new topics

top topics

join