It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was ATS like in the olden days?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I joined June 2008. I've been researching esoteric topics for ages but always stayed away from ATS, because at first glance there's too much bickering, and the front page topics are sometimes a bit silly, and don't reflect the true depth of knowledge here.... I've since found out there's some *amazing* info here if you dig deep enough.

A few long term members have said things like- "ATS isn't what it used to be," or "It's going downhill."- I've seen comments like that at least twice.

I haven't got anything to compare it to. I suppose I've made a couple of stupid posts here but mainly I've tried to contribute to the community.

How has ATS changed over the last few years?

I want the discussion to be positive, not just a moaning session, so:

What remedies would you suggest for any problems?

As the alternative media explodes more and more people will be drawn to the site, so potentially any issues could get worse...

Anyway, your ideas and nostalgia are welcome...

[edit on 111.353f20091am by HiAliens]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I smile every time I see an "ATS isn't what it used to be" comment. I've seen one last week. And I saw one within a week I joined ATS. Yep, people have been saying this for almost as long as ATS has been growing and evolving. It's like our parents always say "when we were kids we used to walk 50 miles in the snow to school, and we respected our elders, and..." One day we'll tell our kids how we drove 10 miles to school, and how everything was better, right?

We won't be able to make these "old timers" happy unless we throw ATS back 5+ years to a time when the idea of 5 000 members were laughable... When the board was...boring (not exactly the word I want to use)?

The thing is - people are afraid of change. Well, most people anyway. Touch their comfort zones and you're bound to get upset. It's the human way...

I can't imagine posting on a board without all our fancy buttons, functions and most important of all content. Yes, some ideas, posts and theories are a bit "out there" whilst others are just plain NUTS. But that's the thing. Here people have the opportunity to explore their imagination. I'll wager a bet that people thought Archimedes was nuts when he first speculated that the earth is round. And imagine the laughs Galileo got when said that the earth isn't the centre of the universe...

There are absolute gems on ATS. Yes, here and there people just try to be funny or ridiculous, but we humour them, don't we...

I wouldn't change a thing about ATS (in terms of "how it used to be")... It's always good to look back to where you came from, but what would be the point of “un-evolving”?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
it's like this, you only tend to remember the really good posts and threads, you don't remember all the bad posts and bickering fights that you needed to wade through to get to them. so it always looks better on retrospect.

to a large extent, the interesting posts often come from people that spend more time researching than writing but it's easy to write a quick opinion piece, so as the membership grows the ratio of quick opinions to reasearch has weighted more to the side of opinion, but this is natural.

i think the same level of researched stuff is posted, sometimes it's easier to miss, but it's here.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by HiAliens

If you are looking to see what ATS was like in the past, try archive.org

Tried posting a direct link, but can't, so search abovetopsecret.com

You can see hows it has changed throughout the years. I personally think it's only gotten better over the few years I have been around, but I am sure not everyone shares that opinion.

[edit on 3/2/2009 by pstiffy]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by HiAliens
How has ATS changed over the last few years?

I joined ATS around the time it was beginning its remarkable growth in number of members that continues to this day . ATS has gained more member benefits such as podcasting for those who want to have a crack .

What remedies would you suggest for any problems?

Enough on the illegal drugs issue has been said already so I wont make a comment here. Its best to see how things go with the appointed disc committee . Although I would strongly suggest that in future if such a committee is going to be appointed that a seperate thread be started to alert members to this fact . Also more time needs to be given so that members can decided if they want to stand or just what they think on the matter .

As the alternative media explodes more and more people will be drawn to the site, so potentially any issues could get worse...

Neo Nazis , Stoners who knows what ATS popularity will draw the next bunch of crack pot forum gangs to the boards .

[edit on 2-3-2009 by xpert11]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
No ATS isn't what it used to be that's for sure. It's better in my opinion. Technology just keeps pumping out new software and I'm loving it. Podcasts & ATS media is awesome. ATS is a cyber country in it's own right and I wonder if Simon new it was going to be this big. Thanks Simon for your imagination and hard work to bring ATS to life. No ATS isn't what it used to be.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
When I think back on how ATS was in the 'old days', I always remember the thread about Ronald Reagan's death. I was both shocked and drawn to it like a moth to a flame.

I often wonder what happened to some of the old timers. Riwka was a woman from Israel, if I recall. Colonel was a riot. Anok. Thomas Crown. Where are they today?

It also brings back memories of what brought me to ATS. I had met an attractive woman who was interested in chemtrails, and google directed me here.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I've only been a member for a little over a year. I have been reading for much, much longer. A good analogy to your question is that America on Line seems to have a parallel progression. I really wish it wasn't so.

~Hyp

[edit on 2-3-2009 by HypnoAsp]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I remember being a lurker in the past, the entire forum had a different design, and I recall a lot of Alien, ufo talk.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
There's heaps more lunatics than there were when it started, but I think that is just because there are more members.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by Snappahead]

[edit on 2-3-2009 by Snappahead]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
If by "good old days" you mean more than 12 months ago, we seemed to have more serious discussion about actual conspiracies and less of the lunatic fringe element.

The juvenile element is now over-represented, you'll notice a surge in posts when the cartoons finish.

We also had a fraction of the Stalagluft 14 rules we seem to have today, "Members must be standing on one leg, whistling Dixie, and dressed as a pirate before making posts" etc etc

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Things evolve. I have only been here for two years now and for me ATS has just gotten better. The new features here and the layout is awesome.

I like the changes that ATS is going through. I think it's important for a site like this to evolve over time.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I've been a member for 5 years and was a lurker for almost a year before that.
ATS, the look and technology of the website itself has improved significantly from when I first started visiting.

As for the quality of discussions, types of discussions, etc.. not much has changed imo.. We still argue the same points especially when it comes to religion, war, and politics. Sure the names have changed but it's still the same. We had threads arguing ATS changes to policy then, just as we do now. It's a cycle and this is just another turn in the wheel.

Imo...for those who say ATS was better back in the day, whether it was six months or six years ago, I think the issue is not the content or quality of discussion but the person themselves who have changed. What we may have found to be new, exciting, thought provoking, etc is no longer such, simply because we have and are discussing many of the same core questions and issues over and over again. It's not the site that has changed as much as it the members who change. I can tell you I'm not exactly the same person I was six years ago... when I first started posting, ATSNN news, politics, war in iraq, 911 were all hot topics for me and I indulged myself them to the point that now I no longer participate in those same topics with the same fervor that I did back then. It's not that I don't care or don't have an opinion, but after 5 years of posting, I kind of feel that I've said my part on those topics and since my opinion hasn't changed, why bother, I leave those topics now to new members to explore and discuss.

For anyone who says that the quality of discussion is at a lower standard, I then say that you take it upon yourself to raise that standard. Our conditioned short attention spans is basically what allows one liner and nonsense threads to flourish (until mod action) while well thought out wordy posts are buried because members are too lazy to read every word.

I don't blame ATS or any changes made on a Administrative manner what is currently going on the boards. The blame solely lies on each and every one of us and we chose to focus and dwell on. It bewilders me that "conspiracy minded individuals" like our members are so easily led and swayed by popular opinion, while the world's economies are crumbling, we instead are focusing on mundane issues like whether a site has changed or not. People, especially ATS members while they claim to see the big picture, obviously are only fooling themselves to think that do and instead are focusing on the most trivial and unimportant things. We're playing right into the hands of those who don't want us to be informed and aware of what is really happening in our world. Sorry if I went a little off tangent but I feel it's important for us to look at ourselves, our changing interests and our attention spans before we criticize a site that only serves as a portal for our thoughts.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 3-2-2009 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I'm still, in comparison to some here, a relative new comer. It's not the same as it was, like anything else it's evolved and changed, even over the three plus years I've been here.

It's not as closeknit as it used to be even then, but so very many more people makes for great conversation/reading.

Older and better, that's our ATS.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
"And the sun did rise in the east, and cast it's light upon the carved tablets bearing forth the inscription "Deny Ignorance". And then knowledge began to flow like fresh water upon the parched land, the fruit bearing trees did grow and share their gifts with all, and the people rejoiced...."

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
If I'm not mistaken, I remember ATS being full of interesting articles and whatnot. It wasn't just a forum, it was a very interesting site. Now it seems to be more based on being an actual forum, but I actually find it more organized and fun to read through this way.

I slightly miss the old ATS (If I'm even thinking clearly) but this is a very nice improvement, I find. You can learn quite a bit from the people here, and I really love that.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
It was the same as it is now just more traffic on 911 and a hell of a lot less 2012 threads.

A few highlights

1.John Titor

2.Project Serpico

3.ATS Games 1 here

4. what hit the pentagon

There hava been and will be many,many more I'm sure.....even in 2013

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kuhl

Titor and Serpo...

I almost miss those...almost.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I've only been here actively for five years. Lurked before that.
That's not long enough ago to say 'the olden days'.

What was it like five years ago?
NYGDAN was here. Suddenly he was gone.
I liked him. I wonder where he is. And Sugarlump. And a few others.
It's strange. You get used to certain people and look forward to seeing
them, and then POOF they are gone. And you don't know why.

That happens sometimes.

But sometimes they come back ... like Valhall and Daystar.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
You get used to certain people and look forward to seeing
them, and then POOF they are gone. And you don't know why.

That happens sometimes.

But sometimes they come back ... like Valhall and Daystar.

And Zaphod58 and Kuhl

nudge hey ff

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join