It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magical Creatures

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
ugh is it me or does there seem to be a comical element to this story?

i mean i know the other posters are having a laugh but is the OP actually taking this serious? just wondering?

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

gotta say no drug experience.
Gotta say it again to avoid a one-liner.

---------------------------------------------

Gotta say that's the answer to your question.
Gotta say there's more info to back me up then you could shake a stick at.
Gotta say, you asked, so obviously you care.

And lastly I've gotta say, let the mods decide what is off limits, I'm not extolling the virtues of personal drug use. I'm FACTUALLY answering your question and providing links.

If you want to believe the same nonsense that the others have posted, by all means do so but I can assure you, 5 minutes with google and the words (elves, fairies, aliens) and you will be swearing that "google was in on the conspiracy that elves have there roots in the psychedelic experience".

Peace

[edit on 2-3-2009 by TheRealDonPedros]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
The weasels are a metaphor for goblins.

Toad is a pixie - unpredictable but basically good, recklesss but loveable.

Ratty, Mole and Badger are fairy, elf and hobgoblin.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRealDonPedros

Hi,

I didn't want to offend you - I am sorry. All I was saying was that I am not a druggie.

And I would like to ask these naysayers - why believe in aliens if not fairies etc? After all, these are just names given by humans. What if they are the same?

I challenge anyone to tell me that aliens are more real than fairies/elves/goblins/pixies/ etc - or are they one and the same?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I don't think they're less believable than aliens.

Reports of seeing elementals have been around a lot longer than UFO's (in fact very few human societies don't have some tradition of magical creatures co-existing with humans).

Not everyone can see them though.

Unlike Aliens and UFO's, which seem to have a physical presence that lends itself to evidence-based research, magical creatures exist in an alternative world. I wouldn't hold my breath looking for fairy-droppings or gnome-houses, but that doesn't mean they can't be seen or aren't real.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ElusiveGoddess

Thank you, Goddess,

Do you think that aliens have been confused with these other beings?

They could all have been from other planets, as a lot of people here are also saying that they (the people themselves I mean) are from other planets.

Anyway, it is a fact that we are not alone in this universe/space/time - it is so obvious.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound
The weasels are a metaphor for goblins.

Toad is a pixie - unpredictable but basically good, recklesss but loveable.

Ratty, Mole and Badger are fairy, elf and hobgoblin.

Initially, I took this thread to be a light-hearted and a bit of joke. However, you're getting to the point where you're now making claims about well-known literature.

Are you going to provide reputable sources for your claims? Or are you trolling here?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Avalon22

Thank you also, Avalon.

Who knows what unknown creatures are around us.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Hi,

I will go and do the research if you think it is really necessary - can't we keep this to a lighthearted discussion?

Also, see my point about aliens - why do I have to go and do boring research when alien afficianados don't have to? I really can't be bothered.

But if you insist, I will do so.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Hi,

I will go and do the research if you think it is really necessary - can't we keep this to a lighthearted discussion?

Also, see my point about aliens - why do I have to go and do boring research when alien afficianados don't have to? I really can't be bothered.

But if you insist, I will do so.

If you're prepared to make bold claims you should also be prepared to back them up with either your own research or the directions to other people's research.

The people on the UFO/alien boards do get called on it, pretty regularly too. Thread after thread gets picked apart. It's one thing to have a private, personal opinion on a subject but when you make it public and when you state it as fact - like you have done regarding characters in Grahame's work - then you should be prepared to be called on it.

You might want a 'light-hearted discussion', but it's because of people making claims about things they don't want to or feel the need to back-up that has made a few boards on this forum a bit of a joke at times - see threads about people claiming to be werewolves, vampires, Indigo Children &c.

Perhaps you feel that topics such as elves, goblins &c light-hearted, fun and maybe just 'for a laugh' but, for others it's a serious topic and a genuine academic interest.

ATS provides a lot of forums for people to have a joke and a laugh or even post things they don't really have to prove such a Below Top Secret, Skunkworks or even the Grey Area. I'm not understanding why you feel that this particular forum shouldn't be taken seriously.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I just wanted to add that interactions with other realms, dimensions and beings are not simply a result of a psychdelic experience...in fact any genuine and lasting useful contact must come from hard work on our chosen path,, if it happens to cross the path of the fae, for instance. I interact and work with them on a daily basis, and I can prove if you really need me to that the only drug induced state I've ever been in was while I was having my appendix removed, thankfully. Issues like this are historically difficult to "prove", as they all rely on personal advancement and dedication to our spiritual progression. Mythical creatures prefer to stay hidden as myth, incase humans feel the need to trap them, measure them, photograph them, and then stick them in a display case in a museum.

I'm grateful that the non believers and sceptics make very little impact on the knowledge held by those who do have genuine experience of this type of contact. As a request to sceptics...please please stop asking for proof...you won't get it from someone else, only from your own hard work.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Hi Cait,

I am so grateful to you. This constant demand to prove it is very wearying - you either know, or you don't.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   

I only meant to keep it light by not demanding proof. It is not a joke.

I am serious.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
I just wanted to add that interactions with other realms, dimensions and beings are not simply a result of a psychdelic experience...in fact any genuine and lasting useful contact must come from hard work on our chosen path,, if it happens to cross the path of the fae, for instance. I interact and work with them on a daily basis, and I can prove if you really need me to that the only drug induced state I've ever been in was while I was having my appendix removed, thankfully. Issues like this are historically difficult to "prove", as they all rely on personal advancement and dedication to our spiritual progression. Mythical creatures prefer to stay hidden as myth, incase humans feel the need to trap them, measure them, photograph them, and then stick them in a display case in a museum.

I'm grateful that the non believers and sceptics make very little impact on the knowledge held by those who do have genuine experience of this type of contact. As a request to sceptics...please please stop asking for proof...you won't get it from someone else, only from your own hard work.

UPG is very different from, for example, what Spellbound is asserting above. They are claiming that a very well-known piece of literature has a particular intentional symbolism and I'm wanting sources as to what this assertion is actually based on.

I'm not the sceptic that perhaps some people might believe me to be. I am interested in the historical and social contexts of the likes of elves but I'm also interested because it also touches on my - for want of a better term - spiritual belief. Perhaps I'm looking to the former to give the latter context or meaning, I don't know.

However, because it's something that's personal to me and I know I can't prove to other people, I don't relate my beliefs or experiences on public forums or even proclaim them as 'real' or 'tangible'. In short, I keep my mouth shut.

So, as a request to non-sceptics, if you're going to post and not keep it to yourselves, be prepared to get asked for proof. If you make a claim or present something as fact, then you really should expect to be taken-up on it. I don't understand why it's such a difficult concept to grasp for some people (not aimed directly at Caitlinfae).

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   

I only meant to keep it light by not demanding proof. It is not a joke.

I am serious.

Again, as I pointed out above, UPG is one thing and making claims about famous literature is another. I'm hardly being unreasonable for expecting you to be able to back-up your claims about the latter.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I don't find the fact/proof model helpful at all in discussions such as this...how can I prove to you that I have even the slightest contact? Any clues? I don't know how to, but if you can suggest a method, I would be delighted to try it.

Whether or not the piece of literature in question was based on more elemental inspiration is irrelevent....surely it's the readers interpretation that is important, and the meaning that the writing takes on for them?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
I don't find the fact/proof model helpful at all in discussions such as this...how can I prove to you that I have even the slightest contact? Any clues? I don't know how to, but if you can suggest a method, I would be delighted to try it.

The method I personally partake in is called 'not talking about it because it's no one else's business'.

Whether or not the piece of literature in question was based on more elemental inspiration is irrelevent....surely it's the readers interpretation that is important, and the meaning that the writing takes on for them?

No it is relevant. Spellbound is stating that Grahame is using a metaphor and one that's not generally mentioned in writings on this particular piece of work - which more usually deal with 'class' and money &c.

That's nothing to do with any kind of 'the reader as author' type of debate as you're suggesting. It's also a similar thing to the difference between 'application' and 'allegory'. A particular interpretation of work might work (applicability) but if the intent isn't there from the author then there's no real allegory.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   

What do you think about elves, fairies, gnomes, goblins, unicorns and other mythical creatures?

Do you think that any of these exist? And if they don't exist, why have we alway heard about them?

hasn't this subject been posted before...i remember seeing a POST some time last year that asked this same question...are we being fed recycled POSTS???

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
...and most times it was your parents that you these stories. Remember the Tooth Fairy...seems it was a female comes in the middle of the night to trade your fallen out human teeth and leaves you a coin. Oh, what fun.
Now who came up with line of crap for little kids. No wonder we have nightmares.
Many of these so called children stories are full of strange creatures. Alice in Wonderland was a good one. The author of that one was smokin something in his pipe. It goes on and on, but 99% was based on fear of something bad would happen if you were not good.
I think this is world wide....you control with fear.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I saw a Bigfoot once. Saw it with my own eyes. No one can ever tell me that they don't exist because I know better. I have seen one.

What right do I have to say that fairy's or Elves don't exist if someone else says they have seen one?

What a dull world this would be without the magical creatures that light our imaginations or haunt our dreams. How sad it would be if we didn't aspire to reach to understandings of those things we know little about.

I've yet to meet the soul who didn't believe in Angels.

Is an angel so different than a Pixie? A Unicorn or leprechaun?

Never deny yourself the chance to bask in the wonder of being alive. Life is too short to miss out on it.

Love and light,

wupy

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join