It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama sets strict rules on carbon emissions; Plan to combat global warming proposes limits to be tig

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Obama sets strict rules on carbon emissions; Plan to combat global warming proposes limits to be tightened yearly

www.chicagotribune.com

One of the most far-reaching elements in the budget blueprint is the call to combat global warming by adopting a "cap and trade" system for carbon emissions from power plants and other facilities.
The plan calls for setting emissions limits on facilities and tightening those limits yearly. The government would create permits for emissions—and companies would buy permits to cover their emission levels. Critics say permit requirements would raise costs and prices for consumers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.chicagotribune.com

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
The top House Republican, Rep. John Boehner of Ohio, said the plan will increase taxes "on all Americans who drive a car, who have a job, who turn on a light switch."

Economists generally agree that limiting emissions is likely to curb economic growth, at least in the short term.

Peter Orszag, the former head of the Congressional Budget Office who now heads the White House Office of Management and Budget, told Congress last year that emissions limits would impose costs on the economy . . . in the form of higher prices for energy and energy-intensive goods.

Robert Shapiro, an economic advisor to President Clinton who now chairs the U.S. Climate Task Force, said a cap-and-trade system "would raise energy prices, at a time when you're trying to increase consumption. . . . It goes against everything" Obama campaigned on, he said.

The Democratic leaders working with Obama on climate legislation prefer cap-and-trade. So does a coalition of business leaders, including Shell Oil Co. and the Big Three automakers, who joined with some environmental groups to release an emissions-limit proposal this month.

Sen. Barbara Boxer said Friday that she had learned from the defeat of a cap-and-trade bill in the Senate last year. She's set to unveil a simpler, more focused plan this week in hopes of passing a bill by year's end.

Rep. Henry A. Waxman (D-Beverly Hills), chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, talks even more optimistically: He's promised a bill by Memorial Day.

jw

www.chicagotribune.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I wrote about the carbon tax scheme in an off beat kind of way here
www.abovetopsecret.com...'

just something I have been thinking of for a little while now.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
This is just a ploy to grab money from citizens,if governments really wanted to tackle climate change or pollution they would throw money at renewable clean energy.I wonder how much 1 trillion dollars(bailouts) or even half that would fundamnetally change the landscape of energy production? Within 10 years it would have been achieved...no lets tax everyone instead.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
At a time when we desperately need more industry and production here in the US, our government is making it harder and harder to accomplish such.

Do they even realize just how they are destroying this country?

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Sure they do. Part of an underlying agenda to force small farms and small business into extinction then nationalize major industries.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

I'm starting to believe that our leadership is inept. People keep saying they are smart and know what they are doing, but I stand firmly by the belief that they are criminally minded.

Which means they don't think about consequences they do what ever is necessary to stuff their pockets short term, although in a manner that is slick, that it appears they are smart, but really they are only good at manipulation.

It's no surprise that Shell who has spent billions in the past few years investing into "green" energies is jumping on the bandwagon they can afford it and take some of the money they have put away for green energies buy more carbon credits than they need. Then make a profit off of them by selling them to ailing companies that need the credits to avoid a severe fine by big brother.

This is not a time to be experimenting with the economy and new tax schemes. I don't think they realize how quickly this can spin out of control.

Not only that, but I fail to see how charging money to save the environment is actually going to save the environment. I understand the concept behind it, but in a lot of industries the technology is already cutting edge and there is no way for them to be any more efficient.

Then add in the cost of the Union contracts that require companies to employ a certain amount of people so they can't advance their tooling any further because then they would be paying people to sit around and do nothing.

Maybe if they actually developed sustainable alternative energy then I could see the purpose. Solar and Wind farms are not the way of the future despite what anyone says. Solar will be when we can start launching solar panels into space and beaming the energy back down from space.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
We I do not agree with the fed cigarette tax, but I do agree with this...

You guys will see, business will react and respond by innovation, new technology and countless new products.

If this was done ten years back our country wouldn't have forked bout a $trillion to SA
in 08. Decrease demand decrease prices and stop sending our money to the ME.

SEAT BELTS

AIRBAGS

NON LEAD PAINT

UNIFIED VOLTAGE

MORE EFFICIENT ENGINES MPG

SAFETY GLASS

LUNCH BREAK

one of the many things government has brought to you... For good or for better

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I am beginning to see a split between the AL Gore camp and there get rich carbon credit scheme.
And Obama and his camp for a government/democrat controlled and taxed carbon scheme,

The next hope for the people is someone will find hard evidence that the whole global warming was a scam and give everyone involved long prison sentences.

Ether way the republicans will have a field day with the democrats over global warming in 4 years.

More and more the people are seeing global warming as a scam and don't like it or what the democrats have planned.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
I am beginning to see a split between the AL Gore camp and there get rich carbon credit scheme.
And Obama and his camp for a government/democrat controlled and taxed carbon scheme,

The next hope for the people is someone will find hard evidence that the whole global warming was a scam and give everyone involved long prison sentences.

Ether way the republicans will have a field day with the democrats over global warming in 4 years.

More and more the people are seeing global warming as a scam and don't like it or what the democrats have planned.

Well I think the point is OBAMA and GORE BELIEVE in GLOBAL warming...

Just like many believe there is a god interested in the individuals of this rock, or people who believe the government has no right to sanction LEAD in paint - ( are guys buying bootleg Dun Edwards?)

[edit on 2-3-2009 by mental modulator]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
the first sign that this is bs,is that if there was an
emergency,they would do their best to stop it.

instead they take your money and issue permits.
wake up. its not humans doing this, its a way for them to get more tax money from the corporations,which will be passed on to us.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
And Obama and his camp for a government/democrat controlled and taxed carbon scheme.

I see your point. Gore's in it for money, Obama for control. Makes perfect sense; yet we consumers will pay the price either way.

By the time the scam is accepted for what it is, the cap and trade regime will be another financial industry.

In the EU, it has failed so far as the value of European "credits" has plummeted as energy producers have cut back due to the recession and lower demand. They are trading now, if at all, for about 1/4 the 2008 peak value.

And, users aren't cutting back because they can snatch up credits and stockpile them or use them to maintain profitable production levels!

That is the fallacy of the program. For it to work, it has to become inflationary and revenues have to increase to keep the credits' value up.

jw

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Does this make sense to anybody. lol

[edit on 17-3-2009 by paulcottrell84]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
They are saying that in the short run this will hurt our economy.

How much more can our economy suffer before it ups and dies?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Another way to drive the small buisness into the ground,someone will had to spend 500k to retrofit their facilitys to conform with thses tree hugger laws,all in a ploy to make Obama buddys rich,and excelerate the demise of the USA,now we have the Chicago mob running the country,I see no good in this

new topics

top topics

join