It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we have compassion for psychopaths?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Removed by author.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by SeekerofTruth101]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Sir, you are naive and quite uninformed. True psychopathy is incapable of reformation, and has been shown to come about even in the best upbringings. Their are instances where people can acquire a state which mimics psychopathy by brain damage. Neuro-encephalitis, or a heavy concussion to the right spot may cause this, or something else..

It's our inability to call a beast a beast which is causing the destruction of humanity, and the implementation of a world dictatorship.

I do agree that perhaps one day our technology will reach the point where we can prevent psychopathy, either by genetic manipulation, or whatever else we can't even fathom right now. Until that point is reached, I see no reason whatsoever to be compassionate for these intelligent beasts which prey on us all.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
psychopathic personality
sociopathic personality
antisocial personality disorder APD
narcissistic personality disorder NPD

APD is the new term which is PC for old derogatory terms of sociopath and psychopath.

NPD is the PD with no empathy.

Everyone is born with conscience.

NPD choose, in spite of overwhelming social pressure, to not conforn to society. NPD rejects society long before society rejects them!!

Read Samenow and Yokleson.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I wish I could have compassion for psychopaths. My landlady, my neighbor, my parents, my siblings, the co-workers I have had to deal with in the past.

I don't have compassion for them! Instead I am torn inside emotionally, I try to move out of their way, I try to accommodate them, but they continue lying and manipulating, they continue their never ending quest to control and conquer. I have prayed for them, I have avoided them, and I have sacrificed for them as best I can.

I say no more! Here and now I will fight for my right to be an honest caring soul. Here right now I will not allow this in my life even if it comes to my front door I will not allow it to enter my life, even if it were my own child.

Yeah I know they are only sociopathic in nature, but the road they travel will only lead them to become psychotic. They will look you in the eye and tell you a lie and then go on the attack in order to convince themselves otherwise. They beg and borrow and steal. They are LIARS!

I know what is coming in the future and it isn't pretty and no amount of control will make it better; it must be played out on a Global scale, and these lost souls will perish in eternal damnation. I am not judging, that is not for me. I tried reasoning with them and they acted as if they were concerned and then they increased their pettiness as if it were an invitation to destroy me for my compassions.

Sadly we live in a world where consequences for actions are based on social status, if you are poor you go to prison; if you have money then you get 'rehab' or probation at best. A slap on the hand for some, and then a chastisement against the victim has got to come to a stop. Our psycho judges, our psycho attorneys, our psycho cops, our psycho politicians (Nancy 'psycho' Pelosi), our public thieves, our public sinners (Hollywood), and our public demons (yeah you know them). All of them will have to step aside because I have no compassion that they will all burn in Hell with their associations, with their treasures, with their trophies.

No more, because in the future, after the compassionate come out of dust of our great cleansing, I will make sure that Public Flogging is brought back. I will make sure that the humiliation they deserve will be dealt. They will either change or they will be cast out of a loving community! Man, woman, or child! They can ask their maker to help them! I am done with them all.

If you have ever said one lie you had best ask for forgiveness and never do it again. If you are a habitual liar or have not confessed then you will be damned to be a sociopath or worse. Society teaches the world to lie, media teaches the world to lie, Governments lie, people lie, they are all liars and they lie to themselves. They are all liars, even the sweet little old lady down the street lies and embellishes the truth to manipulate the outcome. Even the most Spiritual lie!

It is the lie that causes the sociopath. They realize it is a benefit and they master it, they use it for everything and everywhere.

All I've got to say is, "Liar, liar, pants on fire!"

Now is the time to save your Soul! It cannot be done by proxy, it cannot be done by acts of kindness, it cannot be done by anyone but you. You must ask forgiveness and never tell another lie ever again! EVER!

Why not try it for a spell. Quit lying, even the smallest lie, if you have lied about your life, your money, your status, your faith, your commitment, then stop now and open to confession. Confess to yourself and never do it again, ask for personal forgiveness from the Creator and pray like you have never prayed before. Don't lie, because you will fail!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

removed by author

[edit on 2-8-2010 by SeekerofTruth101]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I see no reason whatsoever to be compassionate for these intelligent beasts which prey on us all.

Why not? I see my cat often chasing after a mouse and catching it. It doesn't need it for the food nor is it threatened by it. He just plays with it, knowing it will very soon be gnawing it little head off.

Now imagine us being the mouse....

Should the mouse have compassion for the cat? It's the nature of the beast...

Peace

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Personally, I feel anger,disgust and even wonder, just to name a few. It varies throughout my life, depending on my memories. A lot of it is sorrow for myself and what I never had as a child. My mother is a psychopath and shes the most cold hearted person I've ever met. She's devoid of any love, warmth or regret. Dogs have more maternal instincts than she does. Everybody owes her, her 'what-about-me' attitude. She has no compassion, no empathy. She knows anger and hate bcuz we were an inconvience in 'her' life. We were supposed to revolve around her and her little made up world. She took me out to meet men when I had pnuemonia and continued to take my brother to a sitter after she found that they were molesting him.
Our house was always exceptionally clean, as were we. She always sent us out with warm brkfst in our bellies before school. She always packed us lunch. Supper started with salad and ended with dessert but we've never known a hug or any kind word. She literally doesnt know how to express them. You'd think it'd come natural, that it's almost innate to love your children. Even wild animals care for their young, right?
If you look in her eyes you can see that there's something missing, like she's almost autonomous. She thrives off of negative energy, it fuels her. A long time ago on this site I read a thread someone started about some ppl being 'spiritless' or 'portals'. Almost like a gateway that transports all negative energy to a bigger negative source. I dont know if I buy it 100% but nothing else seems to fit my 'why??'. I'm adding the links...
www.montalk.net...
Do I wish it were different? More than anything a child needs her mothers love and acceptance or all other relationships tend to fail due to the lack of a bonding or trust. I remember asking her years ago..'Why cant you love me the way I need to be loved?' There was no answer, no empathy, no compassion. How can I feel bad for someone who's denied me and my brothers of what every child deserves and thrive off of...love.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

If we can change the nature of the beast, then it will not prey on the mouse perhaps?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Just stop dude. You're nonsense is quite telling. My personality dictates that I remain grounded and rational most of the time. I know my abilities in rational thought, so whatever you say doesn't affect me in the least.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

As you wish then. May your self percieved 'rationality' truly stay grounded.

Cheers.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Perhaps..

As said before, science on this matter is still in it's infancy. Let's hope they are making progress.

Peace

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Psychopaths are rare. Very rare. Don't confuse a jerk with a psychopath.

Sure we need to have compassion for psychopaths. How can you not have compassion for someone who has what amounts to a disability over which they have no control?

Now how that compassion manifests itself, is another thing altogether. Of course we need to protect ourselves. Compassion doesn't mean let them get away with whatever. Everyone needs to be held accountable for their actions. Compassion to me, means at minimum, take the hate out of it. Hating them takes more out of you than it ever will them. If hating them affected them, they wouldn't be psychopaths. It'll affect you, though.

If I may paraphrase Schopenhauer, a man can choose what he does, but he can't choose what he wants to do. I was reminded of it when I remembered this other Schopenhauer quote, "Compassion is the basis for morality".

Lacking compassion for a psychopath does nothing to him, but it diminishes you.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

If we do the numbers I think "very rare" will proof to be a relative term.

It is estimated that approximately one percent of the general population are psychopaths.[15] According to an unsourced article in popular science magazine Scientific American, studies indicate that about 25% of prison inmates meet diagnostic criteria for psychopathy.[13] However, recent British studies have reported a community prevalence of 0.6%, consistent with the estimate given by the screening version of the psychopathy checklist[70] and a prisoner prevalence of 7.7% in men and 1.9% in women

Another Wiki link......pffff

That is still a lot of people!!!

Peace

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101

As you wish then. May your self percieved 'rationality' truly stay grounded.

Cheers.

It's not self-professed, it's quite clear to those I interact with.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Psychopaths are not as rare as people would like to believe. They make about 1% of the births. I guess it depends on how you would interpret rare, and very rare.

Hate fuels the fire which, when channeled accordingly, may provide the will and moral courage to do what others are incapable of : stand up to pure evil and defeat our enemy.

I don't care if some people regard Schopenhauer as a genius, I will definitely disagree here.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Hello, unityemissions, what a great question.

In your summation of the psychopath, you are entirely correct. Let us realize it is not this which is in question.

The real question is how we are different from them, and your OP perfectly illustrates it.
By having compassion because of your understanding, not the reciprocity of the other person, you are showing the very difference between a psychopath, who does not care and cannot care, and is without question an impaired person, and yourself and others who are not impaired in this way.

However, if we refuse to have compassion, or find excuses not to because of the very impairment, we become without it ourselves, do we not?

Separating the person from the illness is the key here, and only a very disciplined mind and heart can do it.

Deciding to and recognizing these multiple truths all at once, without contradiction is the solution, and what a feat it will be, yes?

Setting emotions aside for a moment allows them to be dealt with more easily, bringing an attitude of sincere mercy forward first, and dealing with the emotions caused by thinking of the consequences of psychopathy later in the list.

After all, every psychopath has not become a killer. Shall we drive them into it by treating them as some have treated us? Surely not.

Remembering to treat the person with caution is obviously non-negotiable...otherwise there will be no hope for compassion and no ability to exercise any.

Compassion does not equal rehabilitation. It means underneath these differences, I recognize that there is a human being.

Whatever comes after will be dependent on who we are.

Great discussion! My compliments!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by unityemissions
Psychopaths are not as rare as people would like to believe. They make about 1% of the births. I guess it depends on how you would interpret rare, and very rare.

For full disclosure, you should know I have a tremendous issue with labels, anyway.

When we're referring to spomething like psychopathy, keep in mind it isn't like there's some scientific litmus test that can be applied to determine who's a psychopath and who isn't. It's still an educated judgment call. Sometimes those calls are made by people with their own agenda. Neither here nor there, but I can't help but keep in mind for things like this, the numbers likely have a fairly wide error factor.

I won't quibble about the numbers, but when we try to ramrod people into specific categories (i.e. "labels") using what amounts to subjective opinion, I get a little twitchy.

Doesn't change my original point. Compassion is for your benefit, not theirs. Don't hurt yourself in the process of attempting to inflict punishment upon someone else.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Copperflower

Thank you for the response, but I respectfully disagree.

I have no clue why some are seeing psychopaths as human beings. It's our conscience which gives us the ability to form our higher emotional states, which is what causes us to act humanely..it's what makes the human being. I have compassion for humanity, but none for these people of psychopathy.

I do think compassion should be had for sociopaths, because under the misbehaving person, is a human being. A person who, with a lot of time and care, can become rehabilitated and become a standing member of our family once again.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Doesn't change my original point. Compassion is for your benefit, not theirs. Don't hurt yourself in the process of attempting to inflict punishment upon someone else.

Compassion most definitely benefits the psychopath, as they use our pity, & sympathy to advance their wicked ways.

Please refer back to the wiki on compassion. Compassion and emotional displays go hand in hand.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Demetre

I am very sorry that you went through such a troubled childhood dealing with an apathetic mother. Please, if you would ever like someone to discuss anything with, feel free to u2u me. Despite what may seem to be of my character from this thread, I'm actually quite the considerate and compassionate individual, and would be more than willing to offer any help, even if it's merely someone to pour out your thoughts and feelings towards.

Take care.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join