It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we have compassion for psychopaths?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Yes, this I will agree with.

The psychopath that I knew, the girl I mentioned above, pretty much laughed at my trying to fight her and eventually flipping out because she was so insensitive, but she finally felt fear when I threatened to file legal recourse and have her locked up.

It didn't matter what I called her directly, because she could use my emotional instability which she caused to make it seem as if I was merely crazy, and with no good reason, for any of our mutual friends. But when I made her believe that I had the ability to have her judged by a legal court system and taken away from her ability to manipulate, she was quite flippant and scared.

I finally got to the kunt.

[edit on 1-8-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

Yes, this I will agree with.

The psychopath that I knew, the girl I mentioned above, pretty much laughed at my trying to fight her and eventually flipping out because she was so insensitive, but she finally felt fear when I threatened to file legal recourse and have her locked up.

It didn't matter what I called her directly, because she could use my emotional instability which she caused to make it seem as if I was merely crazy, and with no good reason, for any of our mutual friends. But when I made her believe that I had the ability to have her judged by a legal court system and taken away from her ability to manipulate, she was quite flippant and scared.

I finally got to the kunt.

[edit on 1-8-2010 by unityemissions]

Hell hath no fury...
Magnify human nature with a psychosis and you have a truly dangerous force...
My advise is try not to tangle, but if someone like that fixates on you deal with it in a way that gets the job done properly and for certain for safety's sake.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Yeah well, it's good advice, but I'm forever scarred by her, so a bit too late. There's not a day that goes by that I don't imagine at least one way in which I would like to see her die .. I HATE pathological liars, and psychopaths with a raging inferno that will never be put out.

At the very least these people must be called out, but sadly, our society encourages such behavior. If it were up to me we'd euthanize these people or see them burn alive.

I used to be such a kind heart man, and still am for the most part, BUT I WANT THESE BASTARD SCUM TO BURN!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Here is a truth that is very, very hard for most people to understand --

It is possible to feel compassion towards somebody while showing no mercy in terms of action taken against them. It is possible to feel sympathy with an enemy even as you fight him to the death. It is possible to honor that which is honorable in another human even as you work your hardest to deliver the sternest possible justice.

The attitude of compasion and the action of delivering merciless punishment are not incompatable in the slightest. It's just that their compatibility lies on the sub-verbal level, and it takes a long time, and a lot of personal pain, to truly understand this on a gut level.

[edit on 8/2/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Should you have compassion for Psychopaths?

Well any shown would be much appreciated

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
This thread almost makes me despair of humanity.

All beings need and deserve compassion. Who or what they are and what they say and do has no bearing on this whatsoever. It is a basic moral truth.

Compassion is not something that is earned, but something that is freely given, and it benefits the giver, ultimately, as much as it does the receiver.

Perhaps 'compassion', which translates directly as 'fellow-feeling', is the wrong word, since psychopaths are said to be without feeling, and no feeling person can fully empathize with that condition. But whether or not the word is appropriate, the feeling and the act certainly are.

Unityemissions, have you been feeling well lately? In the last few weeks you've been posting some statements and opinions that are truly unworthy of you. It's almost as if a different person were posting--though I hasten to add that the writing style seems the same to me, and no accusation of imposture is to be inferred.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
psychopaths should be tested and we should identify them by the ID

lets be real ... our world is run by them

no one in a good mind would kill innocent people, thats just madness, and thats what the US is doing right now, as wikileaks just proved yet again

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonking76
reply to post by HulaAnglers

Great video on Psychopathy.

In reply to the thread:

All men are created equal is a lie, unless you are speaking of laws, politics, etc. All men are created DIFFERENT.

I see this as just another segment of our population. Some are more violent than others, but there are many psychopaths among us, depending on your definition of the word.

...as to my answer to the OP. No, those that have compassion to give, should not show compassion to the Psychopath because he/she would never understand it. The point of compassion is to create an emotional link between yourself and the recipiant. Since, in this case, the recipiant would not understand your compassion except maybe as a sign of weakness, there is no point in GIVING this to them.

My own rantings:

From what I've seen, the % of the population that is psychopathic is about the same as what is in prison. 20%. This is close to the % that is what most on this site would call "ELITE", yes?

Bernie Madoff(and those like him) = Psychopath.

They merely have learned how to keep their psychopathy within the lines of the law.

EDIT: Psychopath = anyone who goes to extremes.

EDIT AGAIN: Who is more likely to survive casastrophe? The 'psycopath' or everyone else?

[edit on 16-3-2009 by dragonking76]

[edit on 16-3-2009 by dragonking76]

great post

people believe our world is run by aliens, by rich people, by this by that

but the simple answer is always the correct one

PSYCHOPATHS ...

we should not let these people work in important positions, its not RACISM, its just because they dont have empathy, they could never decide whats best for the whole population, because they dont care about you

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Village Idiot

Should you have compassion for Psychopaths?

Well any shown would be much appreciated

Thank you for proving my point.

You will get no appreciation from me, scum.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I'm as well as can be considering my level of awareness of what's going on in the world, and how appropriate it is to accurately reflect this.

From Wiki:

Compassion (from Latin: "co-suffering") is a virtue —one in which the emotional capacities of empathy and sympathy (for the suffering of others) are regarded as a part of love itself, and a cornerstone of greater social interconnectedness and humanism —foundational to the highest principles in philosophy, society, and personhood. There is an aspect of compassion which regards a quantitative dimension, such that individual's compassion is often given a property of "depth," "vigour," or "passion." More vigorous than empathy, the feeling commonly gives rise to an active desire to alleviate another's suffering. It is often, though not inevitably, the key component in what manifests in the social context as altruism. In ethical terms, the various expressions down the ages of the so-called Golden Rule embody by implication the principle of compassion: Do to others what you would have them do to you.
Link

Some of the posts in this thread dealing with the term, compassion, are quite bizarre. How someone could possibly think of compassion as not dealing with an emotional component is beyond me.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Wow.... you sure are filled with a lot of hate, you have my sympathy.

Just be careful you don't become what you despise so much.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Village Idiot

Wow.... you sure are filled with a lot of hate, you have my sympathy.

Just be careful you don't become what you despise so much.

Uh, a psychopath who sympathizes? Are you trying to mess with me or something? I've been through this crap before. Don't even try. I will never be anything like you, because I am fully compassionate towards members of humanity, and quite altruistic a lot of the time.

YOU DESERVE NOTHING

[edit on 2-8-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Excellent question unityemissions.

I am sorry for only reading the opening post of this thread and not reading any other posts but I will do so after replying to your question:

I don't understand why anyone should feel compassion towards someone who doesn't emotionally comprehend the difference between slicing bread, and slicing someones arm.

For me it has everything to do with the golden rule. If I can not have compassion for something, I should not expect it in return.

The problem we have here is that a psychopath is obviously different from you or I but they do reside amongst us. So, like with any other wild animal, put in a separate environment from your own and leave it alone (or put it in a cage
)....but always have compassion!!!

It's better, karma-technically

S+F

Peace

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

For me it has everything to do with the golden rule. If I can not have compassion for something, I should not expect it in return.

Whether you have compassion for a psychopath or not, they are incapable of having it towards you, therefore, the golden rule does not apply towards them.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I really think many people here are unaware of exactly what a psychopath is, and what compassion is. How is this so? I'm really beginning to believe one of two possibilities are at play.

1. This site is filled with manipulative psychopaths, and one of their main goals is to infect other people with their twisted philosophy,

or

2. It's the elites programming on us all which has made us think that we should extend compassion towards these beastly bastards which seek to phase out humanity.

I'm really hoping it's the latter, actually, because I do enjoy ATS, but would stop coming if I found out that it was littered with psychopaths. Yes, they're definitely here, and it seems in larger quantities than the average, but to what extent I'm not certain of.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I think you should show compassion to a psychopath even if they can't show it back, or at least try to.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Whether you have compassion for a psychopath or not, they are incapable of having it towards you, therefore, the golden rule does not apply towards them.

That could also be said for a ant. Does this mean you can kill it also??

For me, it doesn't work like that. Having only selective compassion is the same as having non....

Peace

PS: This site is also littered with people with a higher level of paranoia. Don't let the psychopaths get to you! I believe they are not contagious.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Is an ant capable of manipulating humanity and oppressing us hardcore because we are incapable of seeing them for who they are and acting accordingly?

Bad example.

Yes, we hear this nonsense that compassion should be unconditional. It makes no sense, whatsoever when you factor in the psychopath. My thought is that things like this have been implanted on the psyche because of

a. naivety

b. ignorance

c. manipulation via knowledge of the human condition, ie emotional states, by the power elite into cultural memes.

You're correct. The psychopaths are not contagious, but they do infect society with some of their traits/values, and narcissism, even sociopathy is definitely on the rise.

Psychopath = born evil
Sociopath = acquired evil

[edit on 2-8-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

You make an excellent point but do you really think that eliminating such a human trait is best done by doing the one thing you do not wish for yourself......??

I say research and prevent.

Peace

Oh PS: If an ant was capable...he would!! Survival of the fittest and all...

[edit on 2-8-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

You make an excellent point but do you really think that eliminating such a human trait is best done by doing the one thing you do not wish for yourself......??

I say research and prevent.

Peace

Can you explain, please?

What human trait?

What one thing I do not wish for myself?

I do not consider a psychopath to be a member of humanity, but rather a sub-species. They have no conscience, and are incapable of growing one, therefore they are not human beings, as they are incapable of acting humanely on their own accord.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Can you explain, please?

What human trait?

What one thing I do not wish for myself?

Basically psychopathy is a neurological disorder which is biological in origin and present from birth. My English isn't that great so maybe the term "trait" isn't the best of choices but you know what I mean....

I know of a lot of other living things that are incapable of having compassion for me but does that mean I should not show compassion for them??

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join