It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we have compassion for psychopaths?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
So, the gist of what I read, is a bunch of people saying that psychopaths are just horrible creatures, not worthy of living or being part of a society.

Have you ever stopped to think, what if this PERSON realizes that everyone treats him like a creature?
What thought patterns would emerge from that? Would he try and be nice and genuine to others?

No, he would probably kill after he took enough of it.

Try different perspectives. Your life isn't the only one on this earth, if you can believe it.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
I just got through a heated discussion with a friend. We had to stop because the differences were too much, and the tones were escalating with each passing word.

We were talking about psychopaths. I have come to understand psychopaths as being inhumane people. I'm not talking about a secondary psychopath, I'm talking about the real deal.

Here's why I see them like this. To my understanding, a psychopath has the perspective that only they exist! Other people are inanimate objects meant only to pleasure their every desire. Psychopaths only act in a humane way at times, in order to avoid conflict, and getting there way.

They have cold hearted reasoning, void of insight, and empathy. Their emotions are shallow, never truly experiencing fear, or love. From all of this, I gather they have no conscience whatsoever, and are inhumane, period!

I don't understand why anyone should feel compassion towards someone who doesn't emotionally comprehend the difference between slicing bread, and slicing someones arm.

My friend says that we shouldn't judge them for the way they are born. Well, I think otherwise. I think it's a grave mistake to assume all Homo sapiens have a conscience. I think conscience is what makes us act humanely, naturally.

What do ATS members think? Should we not judge a psychopath for the way they were born?

live by the sword.. die by the sword
live by the gun.. die by the gun
live by the law of killing others... die by the law of killing others
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

compassion for psychopaths?
yes.. have compassion for them. while you kill them.

during their death is the only time they will realise their wrongs. just before they die and as the process of the soul takes shape. they will realize what it means to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. it is that simple.

They would have then learned the life lesson the only way they can and were destined to from the day they chose such a path without relent. some would learn their wrong through rehabilitation. others will simply play the game because it is their philosophy to deceive and look out for #1. once freed theyd go back to their old ways, just more stealthily. and which much greater care. but there is no escape from death by one's own philosophy of life.

live by the sword.. die by the sword
live by the gun.. die by the gun
live by the law of killing others... die by the law of killing others

this is why it is best to gain enlightenment through compassion as a philosophy. thus you live by compassion and die by compassion. death itself having compassion upon you. and your death is only temporary. Gaining eternal life.

I should also add that only agents of balance can act with compassion to kill a psychopath. else a single minded individual defeats the purpose of his philosophy by killing someone else for killing someone else. an agent of balance lives in harmony with nature and the universe, and is neutral and unbiased. it gives to each what they deserve and nothing more or less. it is something not of this world.
edit on 11-6-2012 by 0mage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I'd prefer not to have compassion nor hate.

I want to understand it logically, rationally, not through emotion.

I've come to speculate whether emotion is even good at all. Sure, it makes us love each other and holds us together through thick and thin (sorry to use that cliche). However, what about despair? What about crimes of passion? How do we deal with chance accidents that kill those we love? There're so so many things in nature that can betray our emotions and in effect harm us. In fact, I wonder if emotions are incompatible with nature. Perhaps psychopaths are evolution, not devolution. Unlikely, perhaps, but I'm willing to consider it. Lots of things are possible.

When it comes to issues like this, I think more than I feel. So it's hard to relate to those who feel more than they think about the same issue. Things like Hitler, pedophiles, greed, etc.

This happens with a lot of things, though. I have emotions, but I try to detach from them when I'm thinking. I want to really understand something, I don't want my emotions to speak for me.

I have an underlying prejudice that all things are genetic or environmental. I view people as imperfect information processors. Our mind is inherently full of holes that're filled with our own expectations. So I find it hard to hate anybody. I can be mad or angry or sad, sure. I love too. But my rationale mind is always there to moderate my feelings. If i'm with emotional people, I feel misplaced and unsettled.

You or I could die at any moment, really. Death is all around. I'm being honest.

I don't think that lack of emotion immediately precedes wanton death and destruction. (There's this politically correct thought that emotion is necessary for peace and goodwill.) The fear that lack of emotion could lead to this I think is more damaging than its reality. Fear kills. More than that, death and destruction are deeper than emotion or the lack thereof. It might be a separate condition. What this means is that death and destruction might happen independent of emotion.
edit on 11-6-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Psychopath's aren't born that way, that's the flaw in your friends' reasoning.

Saying that they're born that way is absolving them of personal responsibilities for their actions. It is a proven fact that psychopathic tendencies are developed over several years and are mostly environmental and opportunistic.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I have seen a lot of post seeming to indicate that this condition is something new to our times. Psychopaths have been with us from the beginning. Henry the VIII, Napoleon Bonaparte, Caligula of Rome, Atilla the Hun, Ghangus Khan and the list goes on and on and on. These are just leaders lets not forget people like Jack the Ripper or Albert Hamilton Fish. Maybe even Cain form the bible? On an earlier post someone stated "They make them president." ( I was going to directly quote you but I forgot and got too far into my post I apologize for that) Not far off the mark if you ask me.

I have also seen a lot of post indicating a rise in psychopathic behavior. I think this can be attributed to the rise in population throughout the world. The more people you have in the world statistically speaking the more people you have with mental health issues.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
you have to treat every person with empathy and compassion....that doesnt mean you have to like or respect them or that for their own safety and the safety of others they shouldnt be locked up but....we still need empathy.....

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
The banking industry is full of psychopaths and decent politicians often turn into psychopaths.... once we would have locked these psychopaths up for being a menace to society but now we reward them with almost unlimited amounts of power and money.... your compassion would be wasted on these people. Yet if you are a compassionate person by nature.... then I hope you continue to have the strength to be yourself regardless of the the psychopathic influences that surround you.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

What do ATS members think? Should we not judge a psychopath for the way they were born?

1. Judgement is not the way to compassion.
2. The term "psychopath" is a label. Labeling is not the way to compassion.

Some human beings have neurosis. In my understanding of psychology, the two major ones fall under the categories of "psychosis" and "disorder." For example, a person who has schizophrenia has a form of psychosis, and a person with anorexia has a disorder.

But to label people as "schizo" or "anorexic" is de-humanizing. To label a person a "psychopath" is de-humanizing and ignorant. There is no flat medical diagnosis: "Psychopath."

Mental health is important. Compassion does not discriminate.

Deny ignorance.
Acknowledge truth.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I don't think anyone has a right to treat anyone as less than human, once you do, then you are the animal too.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by danats

You miss the point.

They were never human. They are people, but without the ability to act humane of their own free will.

The label is mere convenience. It doesn't create the inhumane actions they display.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
Psychopath's aren't born that way, that's the flaw in your friends' reasoning.

Saying that they're born that way is absolving them of personal responsibilities for their actions. It is a proven fact that psychopathic tendencies are developed over several years and are mostly environmental and opportunistic.

Sociopaths adapt to their environment parasitically. Psychopaths are just parasites.

I don't much care if they're legally responsible or not. Something must be done.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ScatterBrain

I don't think anyone has a right to treat anyone as less than human, once you do, then you are the animal too.

If a man steals, and I call him a thief, does that make me a thief, too

If a man rapes, and I call him a rapist, does that make me a rapist, too

Labeling, and doing that which is labeled is entirely different.

I have the right. So does anyone with an intact conscience. In fact, I would say it's a duty as a human being to call out that which we perceive to be as wicked. It's just part of being a moral human being.
edit on 12-6-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I can see both sides of the issue. I worked for several years as a mental health nurse and counselor. Of my patients who were diagnosed as sociopaths or labeled as "psychopaths", most were also narcissists. Every single one of them had committed at least one act of extreme violence, rape, or murder.

I would sit, day after day, listening to these people recount their stories. How the world was against them from day one, how they just did what they had to do to get ahead. I would speak with them one to one, I would give them "homework", I would work with them to understand their psyches. I treated them like humans because I was there to work with them.

I learned to separate the people from their behaviors. I learned to show compassion towards them, to feel empathy for their lost childhoods and broken lives.

But, I would not hesitate to take one of them out if they threatened myself or my family.

As a private citizen, as a person who cares deeply for the welfare of others, I refuse to stand idly by as innocents are preyed upon by "rehabilitated" criminals.

I can separate these people from their behaviors, but there is no way in hell that I am going to forget that they have the tendency to perform these behaviors whenever the opportunity presents itself.

There is no way in hell I am going to forget that this person who giggled with glee at the thought of raping a young child is a danger and a menace and will strike again as soon as possible.

I treat all people with compassion and respect, but only until they cross the line.

Then, all bets are off.
edit on 6/12/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

You miss the point. They were never human. They are people, but without the ability to act humane of their own free will.

That is just ignorance on your part buddy. There have been experiments done on infants that have shown without any sort of human contact other than the basic needs can do much psychological damage to a person. There is no scientific proof that has lead us to know if in fact a person was born a psychopath or if it could have been a result of very early development traumas.

The point is we just don't know. You have no right to take it upon yourself to do something to anyone who has not actually committed an actual crime, that simple.

I could say the same about you, I think people who think its ok to play god for no other reason than they don't like or understand a type of person, are a big problem with the world today and something ought to be done with people like you. *shrugs

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

I have the right. So does anyone with an intact conscience. In fact, I would say it's a duty as a human being to call out that which we perceive to be as wicked. It's just part of being a moral human being.

No baby, a moral human being does not seek out to do harm to others they judge as immoral, A moral human being behaves in a moral way period, and his life is an example of what a moral person is. A psychopath is a psychopath, how are you able to justify acting the same way as a psychopath to someone you deem unworthy to be called a human? Explain this logic to me, because I see it as giving yourself some sort of free ticket to act just as bad as what you condemn. Hardly anything moral about that imo.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ScatterBrain

I'm sorry, your reasoning is illogical.

Although neglecting basic human needs can lead to sociopathy, primary psychopathy is in how they are born.

Please research more.

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ScatterBrain

No baby, a moral human being does not seek out to do harm to others they judge as immoral, A moral human being behaves in a moral way period, and his life is an example of what a moral person is. A psychopath is a psychopath, how are you able to justify acting the same way as a psychopath to someone you deem unworthy to be called a human? Explain this logic to me, because I see it as giving yourself some sort of free ticket to act just as bad as what you condemn. Hardly anything moral about that imo.

Honesty? I'm sick of debating feeble minds.

If you can't see the holes in your reasoning... there's little hope anything I say will change your mind.

You don't seem to be concerned with what's logical. End of discussion.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

How would you be if your youth was totally devoid of love and filled with abuse?

You'd be angry and frustrated.

I don't think it's in our nature to feel compassionately towards someone who engages in aberrant behavior, but we should certainly do all we can to understand WHY they became a psycho-/sociopath.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by disgustingfatbody

If it's sociopathy, it is a genetic propensity towards antisocial behavior interacting environmental triggers.

If it is psychopathy then the fact that they were born is the sole reason.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

You can have compassion for everyone, and still believe that certain people should be divided from the general public (by jail and even death in some cases). It's not an either/or thing.

Want compassion for a psychopath? Consider this... would you rather be you, or a psychopath? I'd rather be me, and I don't envy the empty and possibly hellish life of a psychopath. I wouldn't want to have joy in killing someone. So I feel bad for someone who feels that way. Would you rather be a serial killer or their victim? You'd probably rather be the victim.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join