It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we have compassion for psychopaths?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787
Look Ms. Confused.

Live and breathe by the DSM IV RT= revised text.

Me I will continue to engage patients with empathy.
Even if it means helping them deal with very intense real emotions.

I do not medicate as a first or second or third choice.

Medication puts patients in a chemical straight jacket, oh so much more humane than the canvas ones of yesteryear.

Medication gives patients a chemical frontal lobotomy, and secondary there develops tardive dyskinesia.
But you explain that is better than the real frontal lobotomy.

You will live and learn.

I practice Reality Therapy.
William Glasser.

Tardrive dyskinesia's sole cause is mineral imbalances which are promoted by the use of the meds. In nearly all circumstances, a simple manganese supplement will either advert, or in many cases reverse the issue. In rare cases, a zinc supplement will be necessary as well.

I'm incredibly upset that the medical community is still unaware of this simple fix.

Nature

TD

[edit on 9-8-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xiamara
reply to post by slugger9787

Well I have to say that is a VERY old world view on those with mental disabilities... I don't think anyone should be executed unless proven they are a huge threat to society. Murders and rapists should be killed and I think all convicted child killers or molesters should be thrown in jail with a giant sign saying how many children they hurt.. Death is too good for them.

People with mental disabilities should be given the chance to be rehabilitated and I really think the public needs to be properly educated about mental illness. Not all people with a mental illness are dangerous, and should be locked up its not black and white, In a facility or not. People with schizophrenia are a great example. They may have periods of time lucidity and are able to be 100% fully functioning. But other times they go into full blow schizophrenia attacks and can become violent. With medication they are able to be lucid all the time and control their actions. Just because you have a mental illness doesn't mean you need to constantly be locked away from society.

The OP started the thread about Psychopaths....a person can be sane and be a psychopath.....they just lack emotion, lie and use people.... It's not the same thing as schizophrenia and that type of mental illness. A psychopath doesn't have a problem hurting others to get want he/she wants. Casey Anthony and Scott Peterson are great examples of this....

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
should we have compassion for psychopaths is THE OP Title.
She then condescendingly chides others for using the "old jargon" of psychopath while she instructs us in the fine points of schizophrenia, bipolar, borderline.

Is that not a little PAPD?

yes
yes
yes

Have compassion for psychopaths AND hold them 100% accountable for their behavior which if the act is criminal enough, lifetime incarceration or the firing squad.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Guys and Gals, I'm really sorry this thread got so heated and spun out in a lot of clashing ways amongst the members. I hope you guys can realize that we've all got slightly different interpretations of these complex structures of an even further complex psyche. At least we're all on a forum like this trying to find some answers, and inform ourselves and others, right?

I've sort of changed my mind. I find myself falling in line with what a lot of other posters have written. We should have compassion for the psychopath, but shouldn't extend any kind of support towards their destructively deviant behavior. Depending on the severity of the situation involved, they should either be locked up, euthanized, or at the very least should be in some way marked so that they don't hold a position of power. Either by a classification on their ID, or whatever.. they shouldn't be running corporations or governments ... that's for sure.

We should have an understanding that they're born this way, and don't have a choice in this. We should understand that they are defunct, and hope that one day in the future, we'll be able to counter the abnormalities.. perhaps in the womb, or shortly after birth. As for now, it seems we must accept that they're this way by design, and have respect for them as members of our species.

I have issues with this, because of my previous experiences. I've been through PTSD, and have developed a lot of rather harsh judgments towards psychopaths. I think it's good to state this out in a public forum, to get it out, and get passed this all. They're people, just not like your or I.

It's simply a terrible tragedy, with no happy ending in this day and age. Perhaps we can say different in the near-future.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Okay, I feel the need to point out the difference between a psychopath and a sociopath, just in case some people aren't aware.

A sociopath can be rehabilitated. It's a mixture of genetic abnormalities and environmental factors. I can entirely understand building empathy, and compassion for a sociopath. A sociopath has a partial conscience, that gets turned on and off constantly.

A psychopath is incapable of having a conscience. It's beyond their comprehension! They will never be "rehabilitated" because they were never with conscience!

I'm a sociopath.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Oreyeon

So what do you want a medal or a chest to pin it on.
Probably both.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I was going to finish my post lastnight, but I got tired. I was going to add on that I wasn't even aware, but I fit the definition to a T. Borderline psychotic too. But you know what, we have feelings too, just not many. They are buried. Or behind very thick walls.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

No, they are the reason our planet is so mucked up,

Service to self at the expense of everyone else.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

While I agree that psychopaths are the most selfish of our species, homo sapiens are the most selfish creatures of this planet.

I tend to think that we're all collectively to blame for the state of the world. .. this is my latest conclusion.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Oreyeon

NO, If you have "buried feelings"
then that means that you have had intense strong feelings and emotions in the past.
"Sent aire" is the root word and means "to feel"
Re- "Sent" (resent) means to refeel feelings in the here and now present that were suppressed and repressed in the past.
This does not constitute a diagnosis of psychopath or sociopath.
It simply means you did not get honest and truthful with your feelings in the past and express them properly and truthfully, and now you are resentful.
The solution is to go talk to someone you trust and express the feelings from the past deeply and truthfully, and even cry and weep and sob.
When you bury feelings and emotions you do not bury them dead, you bury them alive.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Oreyeon

besides that you post about the border invasion problem, the second amendment, and the payday for CEO'S.

You are neither diagnosis, you have too much passion about how frightened the illegal immigration problem is in the southwest, too emotional about the right to bear arms, and too much feelings about salaries of CEO's.

that will be one hundred fifty dollars please.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Demetre

I haven't been on here in a long time.

I was taking both cognitive and emotional problems to be "mental" problems, so in that sense they have a mental problem.

You also claimed that I attributed too much emotional ability to them. You also said I was being compassionate. That is the exact opposite of the case. It is precisely because they lack emotion that I made my claim. The reason that they, perhaps, should not be held morally responsible is precisely because they lack moral intuition and emotion. It has nothing to do with compassion, it has to do with what morality is. If they are incapable of having the same moral thoughts we are, then one might think that they are not part of the same moral community we are.

So, once again: I know they can have great reasoning skills. I know that they can have an utter lack of emotion. If some type of moral feeling is required for morality, then they cannot be moral agents, and therefore would not be morally responsible for their actions.

edit on 6-12-2010 by FrostyPhilosopher because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FrostyPhilosopher

If they lack the ability to be morally responsible, they should at the very least be taken away from society, imo. I'm just going to leave it with at the very least. I personally see no good reason to keep these vicious creatures alive, but that's just my assessment.

I do fully agree with you that this truly is how a psychopath is. It is entirely foreign to their intellectual capabilities for them to morally reason something through. This was exactly how the girl I had a "friendship" with, Mandi, acted. When I told her something she did was wrong, and that it affected other people negatively, she would simply laugh and think I was foolish for caring. It was 100% beyond her ability to stop and think + feel a situation through. It's exactly as you say. She lacked moral intuition, and I think the sole reason was because she truly could not feel as most others do.
edit on 6-12-2010 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Many people with Autism are born that way, and because they really pose no threat to us we sympathise with them.
Psychopaths are also born that way, yet we feel no empathy for them at all because of the threat they pose to us. We are all human and our emotions obviously come in the way of finding the answer and its difficult for me aswell, because im as sure as anything if i had a psychopath do anything to my family i would be beyond anger.
Imagine an existence deviod of love and emotion and just being a person of impulse. It is because they people cannot experience real emotion they live of impulse because this is the only thing they rely on to survive because they do not have emotion to guide them. This is why they kill people because they cannot connect with human beings because of lack of emotion and so therefore they are non existent to them.

The things they do are horrible dont get me wrong, but psychopaths actually may have the worst mental illness ever. Wether they have a conscience or not i dont know, but concidering we are all born in the image of god they must.. That is you believe in religion anywho. lol
Because their brains are different to ours maybe there is some sort of interference with their pineal glad which relates to the conscience, this along with impared emotions because of different brain development would make them appear they dont have a conscience. They probably do but just have absolutely no way to access it.

So should we empathise with psychopaths? Definately in my opinion, because they cannot access the one thing that truly makes us human and enables us to grow spiritually.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by ofhumandescent

While I agree that psychopaths are the most selfish of our species, homo sapiens are the most selfish creatures of this planet.

I tend to think that we're all collectively to blame for the state of the world. .. this is my latest conclusion.

I disagree. Psychopaths, not Homo Sapiens in general, are the greatest problem we have. A world rid of psychopaths would be a very different world, indeed.

Firstly, it should be stated that psychopaths are born with a brain deformity. They don't decide to be evil in the sense that they abandon conscience. They never had it in the first place. In that sense, I think they deserve the same compassion that one has for a bear with blood lust or a rabid dog -- they should always be treated humanely, but they may need to be destroyed or at least removed from society to prevent further harm.

The only hope we have for the future is that good people use scientific advancements to physically improve the human being, the elimination of psychopathy being the chief goal. Only then will we have a chance to escape the combination of the worst among us controlling the worst weapons we can devise.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

humans have evolved and been successful due to our ability to share in empathy, understanding and the 'mind reading' that our mirror neurons facilitate.

if someone is without any of these traits, i struggle to call them fully human and have no respect and little compassion for them.

sure, its 'just the way they were born.' but that's the way it is. if you're born without human traits that stop you from doing evil on the world, what reason is there to receive compassion? its a waste.

that's just reality.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I agree with you about them being taken away from society. I said something like that in my first post on this thread, that even if they lack moral responsibility, they could still be locked up for the purpose of protecting the rest of us.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

The alternative would be what? Punish them regardless of if they have done anything wrong or not. That sounds a bit psychopathic in itself

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

So your goal would be punish them just because they're different? How does that leave you any different than them. Your goal would be to rid society of psychopaths. And it doesn't matter what happens to them? That sounds like the very ideology you would have them punished for.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I'll tell you what...try being married to one of them.....try hard....for over 20 years.....after they have ruined your life, wrecked your children, and inflicted unchangeable harm on every one you know....then, tell me if you should fell sorry for them....

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join