It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We can use a common time format to communicate our encounters over ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
The USA has many time zones!
So does Europe and so does ALL of the world.

To me its quite a puzzle to often stumble uppon a time refference in a distant are where i do not know the relative time to me since i lack the knowledge of that time zone.

Oftenly you see people getting confused over that in threads or even in the same thread and there is difficulty in genneral to relate in terms of time location.

Why not use an alternative?
I am not a Swatch advocate. (I use a Citizen Eco-Drive myself)
But for example sSwatch has implemented an alternative: .beat time
Swatch Beat Internet Time

www.swatch.com...

What is a Swatch .beat? We have devided up the day into 1000 ".beats". So, one Swatch ".Beat" is equivalent to 1 Minute 26.4 Seconds. Why use Internet Time? Internet Time exists so that we do not have to think about timezones. For example, if a New York web-supporter makes a date for a chat with a cyber friend in Rome, they can simply agree to meet at an "@ time" - because internet time is the same all over the world. Where is the Internet Time meridian? Biel Meantime (BMT) is the universal reference for internet time. A day in internet time begins at midnight BMT (@000 Swatch .Beats) (Central European Wintertime). The Meridian is marked for all to see on the facade of the Swatch International headquarters on Jakob-Staempfli Street, Biel, Switzerland. When did Internet Time start? The BMT Meridian was inaugurated on October 23rd, 1998, in the presence of Nicholas Negroponte, founder and director of the media laboratory at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

I thing usage of a common time format such as the above will result in a better co-operation. Even ATS will propably back this by putting the relative clock up there, if there is such a member requirement. (I think...)

There may be better alternatives.

I just went with .beats since thats what i knew.
Its a common time refference and there are plenty of converters around.

If you agree with my idea or a simmilar implementation please state your opinion and keep this thread alive to let people know and make our search more productive and efficient.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

GEORGE, there already IS a common time standard, here on Earth....it is known as 'UTC' (formerly GMT)

It is based on the 'Prime Meridian', which happens to (surprise!) fall upon Greenwich, England. (HINT: It is the '0' in the longitudinal co-ordinate system of our globe...)

Basically, we have 24 time zones (not counting certain areas that insist on the :30 wierdness...you know who you are!!!).

You can search the Internet Machine and fiind linkys to how time zones work, as referenced to UTC. Try it, it's fun!!!

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Maybe.

When Sega came out with the game Phantasy Star Online, all regions across the world were connected - so figuring up times to meet up with friends in different countries would become a hassle. They implemented beat time to make the process far easier, but quickly found out that nobody really used the feature and the confusion of figuring out timezones still continued unabated. They have since dropped beat time in the "sequel", PSU.

That's the only example of beat time being used that I have encountered, and it was largely a failure. That doesn't mean it would necessarily be a failure if implemented into ATS, and it was a good idea, I just doubt the effectiveness it would have in practical application based on that experience.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I still say, there has to be a way, some little doo-dad you can put on your desktop....any entrepreneurs out there???

Could make you a fortune, if you can write the program!!!!!

(I get halfsies!!)

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Thenk you for your replies.

I partly agree with both of you. However take this example:

I live in Grece where all citizens share the same time zone.
Lets say i sw something in the skyes at 23:45.
For some people its quite easy to relate to that while to others.....NOT.
Greece runs +2 hours relative to UTC.
Hence time in Germany would be 22:45,
UK would have 21:45 and so forth. USA would be at about -5 hours relative to UTC if i am not mistaken. Therefore time in the US would be about 15:45 give or take a few hours for some people depending on their area.
Ask me for China and i will tell you i do not have a clue, although i should. I do not and i would at least have to go do some googling.
My suggestion just lied in the fact that instead of relating/converting to UTC for understandable purposes as far as ATS matters are concerned we could all relate to a .beats system or similar where we all share the same time kaking conversion same for all.
To finish up .853 beats is the same whether you are in the USA or India. Different local times as they are in different parts of the day but still on a common .beat.

Be well.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
ok i accept it.
my thread is about to die... perhaps the concept is not important

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
If you use Firefox get an addon called Foxclocks. It's basically an addon to add world time to your botton status bar. You can choose which timezones to include and exclude.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
I still say, there has to be a way, some little doo-dad you can put on your desktop....any entrepreneurs out there???

Could make you a fortune, if you can write the program!!!!!

(I get halfsies!!)

You mean like a widget?? I have one on my desktop as a matter of fact from Yahoo Widgets that has GMT time one it (as one of the "virtual airlines" I fy with is RAFSim, based of course in the UK!). Widgets have been around for quite a while, google it if you have no idea what it is. You can get all kinds of cool little doohickeys and gadgets!

The military used GMT/UTC alot, but we call it Zulu time as its not only GMT time but also in the 24 hour time clock, i.e. 1pm=1300, 9pm=2100, etc.

We could have a CATST-Coordinated Above Top Secret Time!

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Thanks for the last two posts.
I guess there are people out there on the same frequency with me after all !
Makes me feel better that other people see some sense on this!

I will have a look at your suggestions.

new topics

top topics

join