It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many guns are too many?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Wow...I did not expect so many replies, or the range of response. Thanks. I did not intend a debate over wether or not own firearms. If you don't want one, then don't have one. Don't try to tell me not to though. I interpret the second amendment as I have the right to own a closet full of rocket launchers, a cannon, and a great compliment of .50 cal machine guns if I desire. I do not desire (ok maybe the 50 cal would be fun:lol
However I currently own a 12ga. Mossberg 88. That's it. The question I originally posted was wondering when preparing for the worst if comes at what point am I wasting my money when it comes to stockpiling ammo and weapons. One point was made about duplicate weapons for parts. Hadn't thought of that one. Anyway I am going to save for a 1911 style .45 pistol, and perhaps a 30-06 rifle. And a few hundred rounds for each. If the world turns to a utopian paradise in the future well, I can sell the shotgun and rifle and keep the .45 for target shooting which is my main sporting passion with guns and I won't be stuck shooting my buddies guns.
Peace All.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
What an interesting thought.

If you are asking about collecting and collections, then you have to ask some more questions related to collecting.

How many coins is too many?
How many stamps is too many?
How many comics is too many?
How many cars is too many?
How many knives is too many?
How many swords is too many?
How many tools is too many?
How many knick knacks is to many?
How many dishes is too many?
How many shoes is too many?
How many CD's is too many?
How many DVD's is too many?

People have something written in their DNA to be collectors.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snooze
To all of you people with guns…what do you really expect to do with them? Do you have them in safes? You can’t tell me that all of the millions of people running out to buy guns are locking them up. I haven’t heard of any run on safes. I’ll tell you what is going to happen: your teen will sneak out some night and you will hear him coming back at 2 or 3 a.m. and think it’s a burglar because of your current mindset and BAM – no more teenager.

Yes, because that type of thing happens SO often. In fact, in the year 2005, with a hundred million gun owners in the US (and several times as many weapons) a grand total of 114 teenagers aged 13-19 were killed accidentally with firearms. 85 of those were 16 or older.

5,253 teenagers were killed in traffic accidents by comparison.

The CDC maintains an excellent database on these types of statistics.

Rule #1 of firearms ownership: see what you shoot. You always, always make a positive identification before you pull the trigger.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by vor78]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
...and 789 deaths across all ages, killed accidentally....for 2005...

wheres 06,07 and 08??

789 too many for me....all would be alive with gun control policies....

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by benoni

The same stats show that 43,354 people were killed the same year by motor vehicles.

Gun control policies meaning that you must get licensed to use them?

I find it funny that you must be licensed to drive a vehicle yet so many more people were killed by motor vehicles than by firearms, which require no license.

Your argument doesn't hold water. The gun issue is nothing but lies and scare tactics to have all firearms banned and confiscated. Saying a gun is responsible for killing is like saying a pencil is responsible for spelling errors.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Man, you've already drunk from the anti-gun cool-aid pitcher. An "arsenal?" Really? I mean really? Are you a militia? If not, how about just calling it a collection of firearms? Semantics maybe, but please, stop repeating the MSM choice of definition for owning more than one firearm. Bottom line is buy what you can afford and for Gods sake, get some training so you know how to use your firearm properly and responsibly. Next, find out who your reps are in government, both Local and Federal, contact them and let them know that the "Right to Keep and Bear Arms" is an individual right granted by the 2nd Amendment and that you expect them to uphold that right.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by benoni

By comparison, 700 were killed on bicycles. Another 3,582 drowned. Nearly 20,000 more were killed by accidental falls.

All told, 120,482 people died accidentally in 2005. By definition, all were preventable. It has to be taken in context, however. That context is a population of over 300 million. Its unfortunate, but we all know that people are going to find ways to kill themselves accidentally. We can rant and rave about guns and their purpose, but the fact is, there are a multitude of activities that we engage in that can turn deadly.

As we've seen, many of these day-to-day activities are, in fact, far more likely statistically to get you killed than a firearm.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
How many can you carry???

I want to tape like ten together and fashion an awesome pull!

Sprayed like raid!

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRealDonPedros
I shudder to think that anyone might be influenced by these "What kinda gun/how many guns" threads that are all over the place.

The majority of you will more than likely end up shooting yourself or loved ones in the process of defending your material possessions.

A good defense is no defense. Its a battle you cant win, so don't even risk getting involved in it. Head for the hills.

Peace

Please don't "head for the hills" with that attitude. We have a LOT of guns, and I'm afraid the environment will not be very hospitable towards those unwilling to contribute to the common defense.

"Too many guns" would be more than you can handle, or use. You have to think of what use you plan to have for them, and the environment in which they will be used, as well as ammunition standardization/availability. A long-range rifle, short range rifle, shotgun, and pistol would be fine for a static position, where you can choose before each patrol, but in a mobile situation, that's overkill, and more than you can comfortably carry and run with. Furthermore, you don't need one of each for each family member. Everyone should be equipped with the minimum of whatever they're best with. Different weapons, with different uses, are complimentary with one another. That's why not every man in the military is a sniper, or a machine gunner. Overkill will get YOU killed too.

nenothtu out

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by texas thinker
While currently I am very firearms light, due to the recent news and postings about ammunition becoming scarce and expensive, new gun control bills being touted about in D.C. and the general state of affairs I am saving to hopefully build my own small arsenal.
What in your opinions would be too much invested in firearms for the average household, especially in light that I am not an avid hunter but like to target shoot for fun on ocassion?
Say a shotgun, a rifle, and a hand gun for each household member? A couple of hundred rounds for each weapon, or a few thousand? I want to be prepared if TSHTF someday, but don't want to sqaunder thousands of dollars on stuff I won't ever need. (Nor sell back for destruction for a $50 grocery card
...different subject).

The way I see it is you can't have too much fun, too much money, or too many guns. Buy as many as you feel you want and find useful. However remember you can only shoot 1 at a time so choose carefully.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by benoni

wheres 06,07 and 08??

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
reply to post by benoni

By comparison, 700 were killed on bicycles. Another 3,582 drowned. Nearly 20,000 more were killed by accidental falls.

All told, 120,482 people died accidentally in 2005. By definition, all were preventable. It has to be taken in context, however. That context is a population of over 300 million. Its unfortunate, but we all know that people are going to find ways to kill themselves accidentally. We can rant and rave about guns and their purpose, but the fact is, there are a multitude of activities that we engage in that can turn deadly.

As we've seen, many of these day-to-day activities are, in fact, far more likely statistically to get you killed than a firearm.

they only want to look at the numbers for issues they are ignorant about. Stating facts like this tend to invalidate their agenda.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
This is per person.
lets see, if shtf, you will need an AR-15 type, get the .233/5.56 but use the .223 because its cheaper. Make sure the rifle can take both tho, and heres why.
The ones chambered for .223 only are weaker and can not take the 5.56, were as the ones that can take both are stronger for the more powerful 5.56, which in turn means it will last longer and take more abuse. Now, get as much ammo as you can carry. .223 is cheap, as of right now. get at least a 20" barrel length for multi purpose use. This can be used for a few long range incoming targets or many close targets if need be. Get a NONE powered scope, if the shtf, you wont be able to go the the store, hehe. If there is even anything in them at that point. Also, a pistol, with a little ammo, not much. Because thats for a very close combat target, or even in a physical fight, you can pull it out for a few shots. But with the AR, you shouldnt let them get that close, so it should be rare. And finally a shotgun, 20" barrel for max cap on ammo, 9 shot. The Mossberg 590A1 is the best for that, just make sure to replace the spring with a Wolff spring. Adds more reliability. Now, get a small gun cleaning kit and some Gun Scrubber from Birchwood Casey.
Ok, to sum up and add a few things, Make sure all the guns have as much stainless steel on them as you can. So thats one AR-15 type, one Shotgun 590A1 mossberg and a pistol. And, make sure the AR and pistol are very reliable, research that as much as you can before deciding. Now, as for food , no need. Just buy some book at amazon that teaches you how to hunt, or find edible plants and veggies in the wild. Youll need a little water to start out with, but with time, you should be able to find some.
If it does ever get that bad, travel at night, stay off the main roads, and stay away from the cities.
Take care and good luck.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by Anubis3.14]

PS, almost forgot, if you can, get them privately , used.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Anubis3.14

If all you want is three, then i guess i had better get rid of seven and a crapload of ammo for them. If you are a new buyer of an AR then stay away from 5.56. Get one chambered in either 6.5 grendel or 6.8 spc. Preferably the grendel as it has the same balistic performance as a 7.62x51 nato.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis

If all you want is three, then i guess i had better get rid of seven and a crapload of ammo for them. If you are a new buyer of an AR then stay away from 5.56. Get one chambered in either 6.5 grendel or 6.8 spc. Preferably the grendel as it has the same balistic performance as a 7.62x51 nato.

.223 = Cheap, accurate and very little recoil for better followup shots.
Anything more is over kill.

So, whats your reason for staying away from the 5.56?

To the OP, Dont just listen to the few of us here. Before anything, find some AR forum sites , shotgun forum sites and pistol forums too and do a lot of research 1st. Youll see from many experienced owners whats best for what and whats not.
Heres a good place to start thefiringline.com...
And more

www.ar15.com...

www.pistolworld.com...

www.shotgunworld.com...

just to name a few.

I wish you luck.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   

The grendel is cheap also. And the casings aren't much bigger than a 5.56 so not much more recoil.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   

The grendel is cheap also. And the casings aren't much bigger than a 5.56 so not much more recoil.

Well, I just checked www.ammunitiontogo.com... and they dont even have 6.8 spc or 6.5 grendel. Its listed but they dont have any in stock I think.
So I checked www.midwayusa.com... and they have all of it. Its a close one, almost the same as .223 in price, but the spc is more then the grendel by far. All I know in my experience is I get less then 2" groups at 100 yards standing. I cant seem to do that with any other ammo in an AR style weapon.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   

You can get groups like that at 400 yards with an Alexander Arms GDMR(Grendel designated marksman rifle). The only problem is it cost's about $1600.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

You can get groups like that at 400 yards with an Alexander Arms GDMR(Grendel designated marksman rifle). The only problem is it cost's about $1600.

The GDMR is a marksmans rifle , its not meant as a muti tasker.
You cant use it indoors as well. And that barrel is longer then 20", thats for sure. 20" is perfect for optimal range variables , short , med and long. And it can even be used indoors, close quarters with out the barrel getting in the way.
I wouldnt think you would need super long range when the shtf, you just want to stay alive, so anything for close combat is what you really need. 100 yards or less will do the trick i think.

Where did u find that for 1600? I can only find it for over 3000.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   

You can get them with an 18 or 20 inch barrel and retractable stock. Perfect for cqb but still has the capabilities for longer range if neccesary.

It's been two years since i looked at one so the price has jumped because of the purchase boom.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by Anuubis]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join