It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many guns are too many?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
First off don't listen to all these people that say one gun is too many. They will be begging you for protection when they realize the police aren't going to respond to protect them. I think as far how many guns you have.... Every armory should consist of at least one rifle, one shotgun, and one hand gun. Once you have those three then you can start buying more if you want. There's nothing wrong with having 10 firearms, or even more. Some people collect guns and have dozens if not over hundreds. I think having the 3 main ones are good, then start buying more hand guns if you find something you like. But remember you also need a steady supply of ammo for them.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by spines

Don't know where you guys live in but here in most of Europe violence escaleting to people geting shot is rare. So is the usage of guns. And in my humble opinion people dont feel so threatened to keep guns in their houses, but you know what they say, better safe than sorry.

You have a point there. If i did know my family is under constant danger i would stock up a few guns for me and my brother.

[joke]and maby a flamethrower and some nades for when that riot starts
[/joke]

[edit on 2-3-2009 by darknovae]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Ideally, it should be no more than one (1) firearm per person in a household. Think of it this way, how many bicycles or cars should one person own? Too many could clutter up the garage, of course. If the gun-owner wants to own more than one and can afford to do so (with lots of maintenance required), then there should be no limit as to how many guns are too many.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Dont forget you need a few copies of the same gun as a part can brake etc and why not buy different customizeations for them.

Maybe a few RPG's, landmines and some C4 would be nice

[edit on 2-3-2009 by Juksey]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRealDonPedros
One is too many.

As long as you have as many guns as the enemy, you have enough........If you don't...........WELL BUY MORE!!

That's the same ridiculous logic that got us here in the first place. Once you start down that road you can't stop until you've been killed or killed.

When the SHTF everyone is going to be to busy looking out for themselves to worry about their tiny genitals and get into pistol fights.

You are the reason that I'm going to be "heading for the hills", when the time comes.

Peace

And ... you'll be the one who was robbed, attacked and left for dead near the base of that hill... Because you were not armed.

It's one thing to be pacifist, it's another to attack people for wishing to defend themselves when clearly the local police cannot.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Although some of what TheRealDonPedros says is abrasive, I understand that there are some people whose ideology completely prohibits firearms. In my personal opinion, that ideology is not too practical, but you have to live according to your conscience.

However, this isn't an ideology that I share at all. I started shooting when I was 9 years old and I was hooked immediately. I love to target shoot and I love to bird hunt. I am not exaggerating when I say that I have probably shot tens of thousands of rounds in my lifetime over the last 29 years and I have never injured anyone. I've never even been present when anyone has been injured with a firearm, because safety is primary. (Pertaining to the statement that many of us are going to accidentally shoot ourselves or loved ones.)

I do not believe that firearms are evil, I believe that intentions and actions are evil. As long as there are people that may choose to do my family harm, I will ensure that I am prepared for them. Since I have kids, I don't have the luxury of an impractical ideology, it is my responsibility to protect them. Like the saying goes, "I carry a gun because a police officer is too heavy". Or, the saying, "When seconds count, the police are minutes away".

I personally have a sidearm for my wife (.9 mm) and one for me (40 cal). I live in Texas and we can concealed carry here with the appropriate license. I also have a rifle for hunting and protection purposes, a shotgun for hunting and another short barrel pump shotgun for defensive purposes. The only thing that I should add is a very practical .22 rifle for hunting small game. But, the shotgun that I use for bird hunting would do nicely for small game as well at the right distance.

I've stockpiled thousands of rounds for hunting and protection, with the assumption that the supply chain could be seriously disrupted for many years. For those who are completely opposed to guns, I guess you can eat seeds and berries when SHTF. I personally intend to eat some seeds and berries as well, but I expect to eat meat on a regular basis. I have a growing son that could certainly use the protein.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Good grief, people! Here you are all talking about raiding others and being raided. So we have millions of people all running out in terror and purchasing handguns they have no clue how to use. If things get that bad, I can just see them, shooting at squirrels 200 yards away, trying to get food for their tables -- with a pistol, I might add! How long do you think that ammo is going to last? Smart people will be able to provide for their families and to defend themselves without the use of guns.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
.22 LR is cheap by the brick, get lots of this.

For home defense a 12ga. is a pretty good weapon and ppl do not
typically get up from that.

For a battle rifle I'd get a .308 that can shoot 7.62 x 51.

For a pistol that will not jam get a .357 magnum and shoot
.38 special hollow points with it to make it last longer.

You cannot do reloads for .22 LR, but for most other you can as
long as you have brass casings.

If you want a cheap way to do a lot of shooting then reloading is
the way to go.

Ex_MislTech

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Yuri Orlov: There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation.
That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet.
The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?

From the movie Lord of War.

As long as there is a demand there will be production.

GM

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRealDonPedros

ARE YOU SERIOUS???????????? you my friend is one of the many sheeple in this country. you would rather bend over and take in the bum than stand up and fight for what is right. well i will tell you this. when or if the SHTF i will tell you that you will be very warm and cozy in one of the many FEMA camps and if our paths cross during a rescue i will allow you to bow down to the fact that WE the people that have balls to fight are right.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by texas thinker

Well, remember that you can only shoot one gun at a time.

Each weapon has a specific purpose and so you should consider that fact when shopping for guns.

A shotgun is a must. It should be your first purchase. I can be used for personal protection and hunting small game and birds. I prefer a pump shotgun since you can get off more shots in a short amount of time. This can be critical if you are using it for personal protection.

A rifle is usefull for hunting larger game and to use as a standoff weapon. You probably don't need a bunch of these. One or two rifles would be fine. You should choose a caliber that is good for hunting deer and other large game. Anything that will take down a deer will take down a man. Also, get a good scope for your rifle, and practice using it.

You might want to consider a 22 caliber rifle as well. It is usefull for hunting rabbits, squirrels, etc. and it is a great training weapon to teach people how to shoot.

You should also consider an assault rifle, even though it really has only one purpose and that is to lay down a lot of rounds in a short time. It is a great deterent though and gives you some additional standoff capability. AR-15 is cheap, easy to use, and easy to find.

A handgun is most usefull for personal protection. Each person who is old enough to carry a weapon should have a hand gun. I like a 9mm automatic others swear by a revolver. Some don't like the 9mm because larger caliber has more stopping power. A 9mm is easy to handle though and it's not difficult for women to use.

Anyway, you end up with one or two shotguns, a rifle with scope, a 22 rifle, an assault rifle, and several handguns. That should just about do it. That is enough fire power for just about any situation.

One other thing that you need to consider is what calibers to buy. You should stick to the most common, because the availability of ammunition is going to be very important and unless you plan on reloading your own rounds, you will need to be able to use what you find.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
glock Beretta Sig good guns, can never have to many. but of course ammo is good.
handguns
9mm has better AP value, .45 stopping power. these are the two i have experience with personally. a .380 is a good back up gun or ladies gun.
but any gun will do the trick as long as you can hit your target point.
Rifles
5.56 is a common military and law enforcement round.
a AR-15 or carbine variant will do fine, great for sport shooting, not much of a hunter type myself, but it will work in that department also.

AK-47 is a great gun. if dropped in the mud it still fires, vary durable. but watch out what county it is made in. foreign made aks have their trigger housing stripped and a semi-auto is installed upon entry to the usa. and have firing issues. there are a couple companies in the us making ak-47s now. but just ask about and research. if your in navada, as far as i know you can get full auto. is the only state it's allowed anymore unfortunately.

shotguns, 12 gauge and double barrel 20 gauges are nice for close quarters defense, but limiting in range an ammo amount.

but this is just my opinion.
Liberty or Death!

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I don't need a gun. I AM a gun.

I am loaded with intelligence rounds and pre-target understanding enough to know that guns in themselves are nothing more than crude tools for drilling holes into living beings.

There are better ways of stopping a person/animal than killing them, just like there is a better way of dealing with a country that is threatening you than nuking it.

I was raised by a law enforcement family, learned to shoot, maintain and clean a gun before I was 12. I had a few guns for hunting and target shooting, but gave them to my other brothers when I gathered enough understanding to know I would never need such things as I was not going to kill anything.

I have a good drill and set of bits though if I needed to make holes.

I made the choice. But I would not have allowed the choice to be made for me. I am sovereign and hold knowledge and intelligence above force. If confronted with a weapon, I simply will not have been there.

I made the choice. I believe all have the right to also make it. Some education is indicated however before you give an assault weapon to a child?

ZG

THlRTY-ONE

Good weapons are instruments of fear; all creatures hate them.
Therefore followers of Tao never use them.
The wise man prefers the left.
The man of war prefers the right.

Weapons are instruments of fear; they are not a wise man's tools.
He uses them only when he has no choice.
Peace and quiet are dear to his heart,
And victory no cause for rejoicing.
If you rejoice in victory, then you delight in killing;
If you delight in killing, you cannot fulfill yourself.

On happy occasions precedence is given to the left,
On sad occasions to the right.
In the army the general stands on the left,
The commander-in-chief on the right.
This means that war is conducted like a funeral.
When many people are being killed,
They should be mourned in heartfelt sorrow.
That is why a victory must be observed like a funeral.
Lao Tsu

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroGhost

I am glad to hear that you don't need a gun. I also enjoyed your quote. Here is another quote for you.

"Ancient weapons and hoakie religions are no match for having a good blaster at your side kid." Han Solo

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
To all of you people with guns…what do you really expect to do with them? Do you have them in safes? You can’t tell me that all of the millions of people running out to buy guns are locking them up. I haven’t heard of any run on safes. I’ll tell you what is going to happen: your teen will sneak out some night and you will hear him coming back at 2 or 3 a.m. and think it’s a burglar because of your current mindset and BAM – no more teenager.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
One man needs no more than a single pistol/revolver/handgun for close quarters combat, and a single rifle for normal ranged combat. There's no reason to have any other guns, really...

I mean I can see a collector having more because he enjoys them and collects them and wants a vast collection and so forth, but I cannot see any functionality in one person having an entire arsenal of guns, unless they plan on handing them out to their trusted friends and family who are going to be present with them during the duration of the civil breakdown. Seriously, I could only see the functionality in one of each type of gun, so 1 pistol-style gun, for shooting many rifle-armed opponents up-close if you have the initiative and surprise them, and for that sort of fighting, and one rifle-style gun, for shooting down range at a target like most ranged combat takes place in warfare.

Beyond that? maybe a spare of each incase the other one breaks, but thats about it. And perhaps you could add a precision-rifle to the list, to "snipe" with, and maybe add a high-caliber weapon for penetration value? But thats excessive in my opinion .. I say to fight a war, all you need is a rifle (and varying types of explosives, some in projectile form, lol). The pistols and spiffy sniper rifles only help in certain situations..

[edit on 3/2/2009 by runetang]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Snooze

On the subject of gun safety, I always advocate that anyone with a gun should get professional instruction and should practice with their weapons often. This reduces the chances of accidents.

Anyone who lives in a house with guns should practice good communications. Also, anyone with guns should have a lockbox or a gun safe.

As for me and my wife, no kids.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
you americans are soooo funny!!

You argue that you need guns "...just in case..."".
What crap!!

What about 2 pints of your own blood, carried at all times ...'just in case..."

or a First Aid kit, .."just in case..."

or a bulletproof vest ".....just in case...".

Do you not think you are all in a vicious circle??

You are the most violent society on earth.......
I wonder why??

Good luck folks....

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I would say as many as you like. Classic guns will gain in value and are a good investment. Ammo as well if they tax it. Not like either is going to go bad. Plus you can resell them at any time if you feel you need the money or more storage space. Just buy whatever is comfortable to your budget and if you see something you like for the right price, go for it.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by lunarminer
reply to post by ZeroGhost

I am glad to hear that you don't need a gun. I also enjoyed your quote. Here is another quote for you.

"Ancient weapons and hoakie religions are no match for having a good blaster at your side kid." Han Solo

Woh! Saint Han Solo!

When Jabba is on your 6 you might need a good blaster indeed!

ZG

[edit on 3/2/2009 by ZeroGhost]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join